NEW! Need to beat the Binge :(

Options
Hi I just joined the site today after weighing in at the heaviest I have ever been (185 lbs). I want to get down to 145 and need to stop binge eating to do so. If you would like to support one another, please add me. I need all the help I can get :(

Replies

• LStar123
    Options
    Adding you!

I'm starting on this too. Binge eating is a major problem for me as well because once I start it’s this whole cycle of ‘it’s not really all that much’ and ‘I’ll just have this treat today and start avoiding empty foods tomorrow’; it’s hard to stop that reasoning but I want to get better and support others as well!
  • Arbelina
    Arbelina Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Similar problem here. I binge eat when I feel stressed. Maybe we can find a strategy together?
  • dontstop_
    Options
    I also have the mentality of "I'll have one last binge and then start eating better tomorrow" But tomorrow never comes for me :( I binged yesterday but haven't today. Thanks for adding me you two :)
  • casyb360
    casyb360 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I defiantly need a partner (or group) to help me beat the binge!!! My worst traits are my emotional, and binge eating... feel free to add me! We can do this together!
  • jacbarney
    Options
    Oh my gosh, if the "I'll do better starting tomorrow" bit isn't my most used phrase...lol. I seriously, seriously need tomorrow to be today though so I'd love to be pals!!!
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Attention fellow Binge Eaters! You are what is known as "Compulsive Overeaters". I am one myself but I have learned to manage it and have lost almost 70 lbs and maintained for one year. I am going to say something very uncomfortable here: I highly recommend you consider your condition as a bonafide addiction to food. Just consider it and check out the Overeaters Anonymous website for guidance. The "Big Book" is chock-full of amazing advice as to how to stop the cycle of compulsively bingeing, feeling guilty, trying to diet, then bingeing again. I can't recommend it highly enough to those of us who can't stop ourselves in our own power and find ourselves on the hamster-wheel of eating/guilt/dieting/eating/guilt/dieting/and on and on and on. Blessings!
  • MommyBoyer
    MommyBoyer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for commenting! I am here because I am totally a food addict. I'm lost as to where to go, so I decided to give MFP and these forums a try. I'm going to look at the Overeaters Anonymous website. I would love to add you if that is ok. I really need accountability and want to end the 'hamster-wheel' cycle in my life.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Absolutely! I am happy to help in any way I can. Not only might it help you, it helps ME (by working the 12th Step - carrying the message to others). Let me know if you ever have any questions. :)
  • yornma
    yornma Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm addicted to food.. I just know I'm not good at sports..so I spent my time writing, which is a great brain activity but not much on the body.

Need to add more friends to add accountability.
  • MommyBoyer
    MommyBoyer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just found an OA meeting close to me and will be checking it out. The more I read about it, the more I really feel this is for me. Again, thanks for sharing what you did!
  • dontstop_
    Options
    I added you guys above :)

I didn't binge yesterday at all. I only drank water for my drinks and worked out. AND I lost over 3 lbs overnight. I know it's not fat but still seeing a lower number is definitely motivating.

Here's to day #2 without binge eating! :)
  • azerty1981
    Options
    Here's a success story about beating the binge. It doesn't say how she did it but it's been giving me hope. Maybe you could ask her?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1127935-bingeing-and-i-broke-up-and-had-closure
  • Beana1997
    Options
    Hey there,
    I'll add you as a friend on here... I just made my account in hopes of losing the weight I need to and to stop binge eating. Some things I have found extremely helpful are to avoid food.. like, if you feel a binge coming on, determine if its just out of boredom or actual hunger. Count to 100 and see if you're still hungry. If so, go do something to keep you busy for a half hour or so. If you're still hungry, grab an apple or something and leave the kitchen. The best thing to do is keep busy! We can help each other! Good luck and stay strong :-)
  • princesspeapod
    Options
    Wow great to see this post this morning. I'm kicking myself hard! Every day seems like a struggle. I have 35 to lose,really trying to change my habits and not bingeing at night!
  • Lorelli12
    Lorelli12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'll add you!!!! I'm same, I'm a binger, it is what I would (do) look forward to as my way of relaxing. It's a total mental game. I now workout 6 days a week and that helps because not only do I immediately feel better about myself for working out but I don't want to waste my hard work on junk. I do have slip up days but they are coming fewer and far between and I start over everyday rather than waiting 'til Monday.' We can do this!
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Thanks! I just found an OA meeting close to me and will be checking it out. The more I read about it, the more I really feel this is for me. Again, thanks for sharing what you did!

I'm thrilled to hear this! A little advice - don't be worried if it feels difficult to go at first. It was for me. I was still experiencing strong feelings of denial (meaning, I still believed I could do this on my own, I felt like I "didn't belong there" with these other "weirdos" who had "real" problems (unlike me, hahahaha), and all that stuff). Boy was I wrong. After several meetings I realized I was in the exact same boat as the others (which ended up bringing me a lot of comfort, actually) and I needed to submit myself to a Higher Power, the 12 steps, and the other people in the group. It took a long time, but it changed my life. It doesn't *have* to take a long time...as soon as you submit yourself to the process you start immediately. I highly recommend diving in. You won't be sorry!!! Good luck!
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Wow great to see this post this morning. I'm kicking myself hard! Every day seems like a struggle. I have 35 to lose,really trying to change my habits and not bingeing at night!

Just out of curiosity, and if you don't mind sharing, what foods do you tend to binge on? I ask because I have a hunch, and if I'm correct, I have a solution. :)
  • 271lisa
    271lisa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just sent you a request. :)
  • dontstop_
    Options
    Thanks. I accepted :)
  • cchappell226
    Options
    SO my favorite saying! i think I better eat all I can because I'm gonna get back on it tomorrow! well I keep pushing it off! I've GOT to stop! we can do this!! :happy: