Missing going to the Gym Peroneal Tendonitis

Options
Never thought I would say this!

I am missing my exercise routine.

Off work with peroneal tendonitis and been told by physiotherapist to rest lots. Allowed to walk around a little but not much so going to the gym is out of the question.

I can add in swimming maybe next week and hoping to get back to work on 11th November.

Any advice on starting up exercise again, anyone been through this and no longer in pain?

Replies

• stephicozar
    stephicozar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested too in any advice or anecdotes. My physiotherapist has just diagnosed my peroneal tendonitis, strapped me up and told me to rest as much as possible. Ice for the swelling, heat for the tendon. There's also apparently a really good baking soda poultice for swelling too, but I haven't tried that yet.

It hurts just to put my shoes on in the morning and have been walking around in barefeet (which flares up my shin splints!).
    I'm a walker, but haven't been able to get more than a couple of hundred metres. I've been using our stationary bike for cardio which is fine, but makes me stiff all over and I just want to get out for a walk.

I'm due for more physiotherapy next week but the pain is pretty debilitating for now.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Goodness, when I read the topic I thought you meant.... something else entirely. :blushing:

Tendonitis is the WORST and takes so long to heal. No kidding, it has taken me 3 years to get past some achilles tendonitis trouble I was having. Any little tweak to it would just flare it all back up again. I had to quite trying to run at all and switched to walking. I can just now start jogging a bit, but I still feel it threatening. I hope it is not as bad for you. Any chance you can switch to a bike or something?
  • sharon75uk
    sharon75uk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested too in any advice or anecdotes. My physiotherapist has just diagnosed my peroneal tendonitis, strapped me up and told me to rest as much as possible. Ice for the swelling, heat for the tendon. There's also apparently a really good baking soda poultice for swelling too, but I haven't tried that yet.

It hurts just to put my shoes on in the morning and have been walking around in barefeet (which flares up my shin splints!).
    I'm a walker, but haven't been able to get more than a couple of hundred metres. I've been using our stationary bike for cardio which is fine, but makes me stiff all over and I just want to get out for a walk.

I'm due for more physiotherapy next week but the pain is pretty debilitating for now.

I have been told the same advice as you. I found voltarol gel is helping with the swelling and pain. I'm back at work tomorrow after 2 weeks off to rest my foot and I am dreading it!
    I found wearing a support bandage and my trainers in the house helped too. I've not tried going back to the gym - will see how work goes Thurs/Friday.
    Go back to physio on Monday night and will ask about adding in some time at the gym on a stationary bike.
    Hope your pain eases soon.
  • sharon75uk
    Options
    I have been told the same advice as you. I found voltarol gel is helping with the swelling and pain. I'm back at work tomorrow after 2 weeks off to rest my foot and I am dreading it!
    I found wearing a support bandage and my trainers in the house helped too. I've not tried going back to the gym - will see how work goes Thurs/Friday.
    Go back to physio on Monday night and will ask about adding in some time at the gym on a stationary bike.
    Hope your pain eases soon.

27928312.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sharon75uk
    Options
    LOL at thinking the title was something else!
    I've been off work for 2 weeks with the pain and go back tomorrow - will see after next physio appointment about adding the stationary bike back into an exercise routine.
    Thanks

27928312.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    How about adding some lifting? You can do plenty of lifts while seated. I have had leg surgery the past 2 summers (both legs in June 2012 and the left in Aug 2013)...I wasn't allowed to walk at all for a week, and couldn't even think about running for at least a month. Biking - well that took about 2-3 weeks to be ok without making my leg swell up.

BUT - I was able to do ab work (no pushups/plans unless I was on my knees) and any upper body that was in seated/laying down.

Some examples -

Bench Press
    Dumbbell Flys
    Overhead Press
    Skull Crushers
    Lateral Pull Downs (wide and narrow grip)
    Dumbbell Rows
    Bicep Curls
    Tricep Kickbacks
    Hammer Curls
    Military Press
    Decline Press
    Inverted Rows
    Seated Rows (Cable Pull)
    Prone Holds/Scapular Squeezes - Superman, touchdown, etc..

Abs -
    Sit Ups
    Crunches
    V Sits (with twist or SL march)
    Penguins/heel touches
    Russian twists
    Planks (on knees)
    Pushups (on knees)
    Davies test (on knees)
    Pillars to planks (on knees)
    Dead Bugs

The list goes on and on!!!
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Suffering with the same...I am just working around it..still lifting and being careful with other activities.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    How about adding some lifting? You can do plenty of lifts while seated. I have had leg surgery the past 2 summers (both legs in June 2012 and the left in Aug 2013)...I wasn't allowed to walk at all for a week, and couldn't even think about running for at least a month. Biking - well that took about 2-3 weeks to be ok without making my leg swell up.

BUT - I was able to do ab work (no pushups/plans unless I was on my knees) and any upper body that was in seated/laying down.

Some examples -

Bench Press
    Dumbbell Flys
    Overhead Press
    Skull Crushers
    Lateral Pull Downs (wide and narrow grip)
    Dumbbell Rows
    Bicep Curls
    Tricep Kickbacks
    Hammer Curls
    Military Press
    Decline Press
    Inverted Rows
    Seated Rows (Cable Pull)
    Prone Holds/Scapular Squeezes - Superman, touchdown, etc..

Abs -
    Sit Ups
    Crunches
    V Sits (with twist or SL march)
    Penguins/heel touches
    Russian twists
    Planks (on knees)
    Pushups (on knees)
    Davies test (on knees)
    Pillars to planks (on knees)
    Dead Bugs

The list goes on and on!!!

This!! Best thing I ever heard? "If your hurt work something else. But keep working, that's how progress happens!"