What is going on?! Gained back the pound I lost!

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    it could be poo in your stomach, or water, or food in your belly, anything
    For me personally, I hold on to weight or gain a week or 2 before my TOM. After I am at a loss.

Oh. My. GOD. I completely forgot about that; the painters are due to arrive tomorrow! *headdesk* How could I forget about that? That's probably contributing to it in a major way!

glad thats sorted, panic over....
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I hold on to weight or gain a week or 2 before my TOM. After I am at a loss.

Oh. My. GOD. I completely forgot about that; the painters are due to arrive tomorrow! *headdesk* How could I forget about that? That's probably contributing to it in a major way!

This!

Also, if you eat a lot of salty food you can go up a few lbs in water weight. Last week I went up 2 lbs from one day to the next cuz I ate sausages. I netted 1300 cal, not 7000 so there's no way that was proper weight! I have been drinking a bit more water and am now back down to what I was before.

Suggestion: 1. Don't Panic, 2. Drink more water, 3. Wait until after the "refit" and weigh yourself again.
  • amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Folks here are right - There's a lot of natural fluctuation that only time will even out.

I also looked at your diary and you eat a lot of processed foods that tend to be high sodium - that might also contribute to some water retention. You also have a lot of quick adds and a few blank days which might contribute. If that's because you're doing a cheat day, that's cool, but if you continue not to lose, you may want to log what you eat that day just so you can see if it might be impacting the good you're doing on the other days.

Also - you are getting a huge number of exercise calories from walking each day and you're eating most of them back. If you continue to not lose at your expected rate, you may want to try eating back fewer of the exercise calories. I use a HR monitor when I run or do other exercises beyond what my fitbit logs, but I think it overestimates a bit, so I try to only eat back 50-75%.

Bet of luck with your journey!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've only just started the MFP experience (well, two weeks ago). Last week, I lost 1.4 pounds (yay!) But this week I gained back 1.5 (WTF?)

I'm wondering, though, if I'm still not eating enough. I find myself going under my calorie goal day after day -- sometimes by a few hundred calories. Have I completely messed up my metabolism by eating a low-calorie diet (1300) for over a year and a half?

Ugh. I need to get over this fear of eating more. I just....don't know how. Help.....

It takes time .. don't expect to see a loss for upwards of a month unless you're extremely obese
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Folks here are right - There's a lot of natural fluctuation that only time will even out.

I also looked at your diary and you eat a lot of processed foods that tend to be high sodium - that might also contribute to some water retention. You also have a lot of quick adds and a few blank days which might contribute. If that's because you're doing a cheat day, that's cool, but if you continue not to lose, you may want to log what you eat that day just so you can see if it might be impacting the good you're doing on the other days.

Also - you are getting a huge number of exercise calories from walking each day and you're eating most of them back. If you continue to not lose at your expected rate, you may want to try eating back fewer of the exercise calories. I use a HR monitor when I run or do other exercises beyond what my fitbit logs, but I think it overestimates a bit, so I try to only eat back 50-75%.

Bet of luck with your journey!

You raise a few good points here. I'm starting to realize that there are quite a few high-sodium foods in my diet; I don't use a salt shaker (don't even own one) but that doesn't change the actual amount of sodium in the foods I eat. I think there needs to be a slight overhaul in the amount of sodium I'm consuming. I do drink a lot of water (although I'm famously bad at actually keeping track of how much I drink) but maybe I'm consuming too much sodium and the water I'm drinking isn't doing what it needs to keep me flushed out.

My exercise calories....yeah, I do get a large amount of calories from walking. Mainly because, when I go out walking, I don't just go for a stroll. I mean, I'm moving at a pretty brisk pace (I can usually cover 4.5 miles in an hour; I wear a pedometer as well as an HRM when I walk, so I can track the distance I cover as well as the calories I burn.

I'll try not eating back all of my exercise calories. I don't usually eat them ALL back anyway (I usually fall below my calorie goal by a few hundred calories) but I'll tweak a few things as I go.

As I've mentioned a couple times in the thread....patience is not my strong suit. I guess I'm just thinking, "WTF?! It's taking me so long to lose ten pounds when I lost 65 pounds in a relatively short time!" But I guess what I'm forgetting is, when I lost those 65 pounds, I was majorly overweight...and now, hey, I'm ten pounds from my goal, so it's not going to be as quick to come off!

.......Do you have any extra patience lying around? *L*
  • Again: Sorry, I probably sounded a little melodramatic. I don't mean that I have an actual *fear* of it; it's more of a serious doubt that's set itself in my mind, after a prolonged period of eating only 1,300 calories a day (I did Weight Watchers for a year and a half.)

I know what you mean here. And many people will jump in and attack me for this but idc. TOO MANY PEOPLE ON THIS SITE are too quick to throw out that someone has issues or a mental illness or need to seek help. how about DUHHHHHHH!!! Besides the fitness pros helping us chunkies, most of the people here need help and support because being overweight/obese is an ISSUE. and that usually stems from FOOD ISSUES. Obviously many of us probably do need a professional, but realistically not all have the time or resources for that. Enter, MFP. We are here for help and support to our individual abilities. And support is what we should do. Posting on a topic and not at all answering the wues he/she is asking doesn't help or support the person at all. As far as gaining back that pound, every trainer or wellness coach, or fitness person Ive ever spoken to has told me, don't obsess over 1 or 2 lbs in a week. That's almost always gaining and losing water. ANd you will Im sure hear this many more times, but its helpful in the fight with the scale and numbers. But don't focus on the weight. Focus on the way your clothes fit, and measure yourself. Go get a cheap tape measure and do it that way. I promise you it is sooooo much more gratifying. Your diet and workout regime may not allow for a lot of scale change but your body could be changing. The problem so many of us have is that damn scale. We see it sit still and we tend to give up. Ive only lost about 16 lbs since july, but Ive lost 4 jeans sizes and an excess of 20 inches. :) Good luck and remember not to let that stupid scale defeat you!!!! :)
  • MichMunchkin
    Options
    I'd lose the idea of weighing in for a while and just concentrate on your calorie goal. Go see your scale in about a month.

Very good idea. I'm still trying to break the dependence on the scale that Weight Watchers instilled in me. It's one of the reasons I gave up on WW -- because your only "official" sign of success is the number on the scale. I need to learn that the scale is not the only indicator of success. Most of the time, I am aware of that -- but let me step back on the scale and all awareness goes flying out the window. :)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat the fluctuations - it's the overall trend you're looking for.

521475_10151636449745200_1133158168_n.jpg
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My first week I lost a pound. Then I gained it back the next week. Held onto it for 3 weeks. I drink a gallon of water a day, always under my calories and exercising. This week I weighed and I was about a 1.5 pounds lighter. I was .2 pounds more lighter today. It's frustrating but stick with it!
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I have charted my weight for a few months now and I realize fluctuations of the sort you speak of are normal. Yet, I still get all cranky when the scale goes up for no apparent reason.

You are not a rock that will weigh the same everyday, we are living, breathing organisms with complex systems. We ingest, we expel, we have hormones at play. different foods have different weights and sodium content, etc... and then yes, there is the fact that scales are not perfect instruments.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

Its definitely the pooh

ofabut.jpg
  • epazia
    epazia Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have gained 5 lbs in one weekend on a bing! a lbs is nothing to worry about that could be what you are wearing when you step on the scale for that matter or your period.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you said you'd been doing Weight Watchers too, OP, for the last year and a half. Looking at your diary, I see a lack of whole fruits and veggies, which may be because you didn't eat them or because you didn't log. While WW says fruits and veggies are 0 points, I don't think most people on MFP will suggest that. A banana, cup of grapes, or a large apple can easily have 100 calories. Veggies are a little more forgiving, but starchy vegetables like peas, corn, and potatoes still pack a fair punch (the calories in potatoes hurts my soul). Just a reminder that you should also log any fresh fruits or veggies you're eating if weight loss is your main concern. I know I can eat 500 calories in fruits and veggies a day, which would almost entirely negate my weight loss if I didn't log them.

However, like others said, you're probably just retaining water. I just wanted to offer some advice going forward.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    A week or two is not enough time to see or feel real weight loss or body re-composition progress.

Give it a month or more making minor adjustments that you feel you need to make said progress.

Best of luck!

• MichMunchkin
    Options
    I know what you mean here. And many people will jump in and attack me for this but idc. TOO MANY PEOPLE ON THIS SITE are too quick to throw out that someone has issues or a mental illness or need to seek help. how about DUHHHHHHH!!! Besides the fitness pros helping us chunkies, most of the people here need help and support because being overweight/obese is an ISSUE. and that usually stems from FOOD ISSUES. Obviously many of us probably do need a professional, but realistically not all have the time or resources for that.

THANK YOU.

I'm not thrilled with the tendency some people seem to have to immediately assume "Oh, you need PROFESSIONAL HELP" whenever anyone happens to mention that they might have an issue with anything remotely related to weight or food. As you said: hello, NONE of us would be on this site if we didn't have *some* kind of issue with food/weight. And it just seems like if you dare to mention that you're worried that your weight isn't moving, or you hate your scale, or whatever....it's just this straight jump to "Well, maybe you should seek help."

Not all of us have the money to do that. And, believe it or not, some people just tend to be a bit overdramatic. It happens. And it doesn't necessarily mean that the person needs a shrink or something.

Thank you for understanding. I think, being a person who has had therapy before (for other issues completely unrelated to weight/food), I am well aware of when I need to seek help and when I don't....and I certainly don't need perfect strangers to suggest otherwise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't a linear function, it is a general trend over a much longer period of time. You don't lose exactly X Lbs in a week...you lose on average X Lbs per week on average over a period of months. You're going to have natural body weight fluctuations due to water retention (sodium, workout, hormones, TOM, etc) as well as waste in your system, timing of food in/out, etc.

also why are you afraid of food? food is fuel, nothing more, nothing less...you need to properly fuel your body which means that you only need a modest deficit from a maintenance level of calories to lose weight...and some patience.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm not thrilled with the tendency some people seem to have to immediately assume "Oh, you need PROFESSIONAL HELP" whenever anyone happens to mention that they might have an issue with anything remotely related to weight or food. As you said: hello, NONE of us would be on this site if we didn't have *some* kind of issue with food/weight.

It's one thing to be overweight...but I'm sorry...not everyone here has an irrational fear of food. I was overweight at one time simply because I ate too much for my given activity. I've never had a food phobia and there are many, many more like me...so when someone says, "I have a fear of food" that brings up red flags pretty quick...having an irrational fear of food is not normal and usually requires professional help...it is disordered thinking.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean here. And many people will jump in and attack me for this but idc. TOO MANY PEOPLE ON THIS SITE are too quick to throw out that someone has issues or a mental illness or need to seek help. how about DUHHHHHHH!!! Besides the fitness pros helping us chunkies, most of the people here need help and support because being overweight/obese is an ISSUE. and that usually stems from FOOD ISSUES. Obviously many of us probably do need a professional, but realistically not all have the time or resources for that.

THANK YOU.

I'm not thrilled with the tendency some people seem to have to immediately assume "Oh, you need PROFESSIONAL HELP" whenever anyone happens to mention that they might have an issue with anything remotely related to weight or food. As you said: hello, NONE of us would be on this site if we didn't have *some* kind of issue with food/weight. And it just seems like if you dare to mention that you're worried that your weight isn't moving, or you hate your scale, or whatever....it's just this straight jump to "Well, maybe you should seek help."

Not all of us have the money to do that. And, believe it or not, some people just tend to be a bit overdramatic. It happens. And it doesn't necessarily mean that the person needs a shrink or something.

Thank you for understanding. I think, being a person who has had therapy before (for other issues completely unrelated to weight/food), I am well aware of when I need to seek help and when I don't....and I certainly don't need perfect strangers to suggest otherwise.

Maybe consider what you post in the first place...

I was actually trying to be supportive of someone who said they had a fear of food... Turns out it was just your run of the mill drama over nothing.... :grumble:
  • LillyPandme
    Options
    I know what you mean about the dependence on the scale developed by *weekly* commercial weight loss programs. I have done many programs over my lifetime (I'm 52) and I am just now realizing what a disservice that I think that they did me by putting me on the scale every week, much less me weighing myself every day.

I had pretty much given-up on ever losing weight again because I was menopausal, have a adrenal cyst, metabolic syndrome blah, blah, blah. My daughter took the scale back to college with her this fall and I don't even own one now! As a last ditch effort before surgery, I started working with a dietician and he said for me not to let ANYONE weigh me - just to have it done at our monthly appointments. ( If go to a regular doctor, I am supposed to tell them not to tell me!) The dietician also told me about fitbit and MFP, and I am so thankful. I needed the accountability and the ability to scientifically see what I am doing right and wrong.

It is working slowly, but surely! I think that I can do this!

Good luck to all of us!
  • MichMunchkin
    Options
    I'm not thrilled with the tendency some people seem to have to immediately assume "Oh, you need PROFESSIONAL HELP" whenever anyone happens to mention that they might have an issue with anything remotely related to weight or food. As you said: hello, NONE of us would be on this site if we didn't have *some* kind of issue with food/weight.

It's one thing to be overweight...but I'm sorry...not everyone here has an irrational fear of food. I was overweight at one time simply because I ate too much for my given activity. I've never had a food phobia and there are many, many more like me...so when someone says, "I have a fear of food" that brings up red flags pretty quick...having an irrational fear of food is not normal and usually requires professional help...it is disordered thinking.

See, here we go. I did not say that I have an "irrational fear of food." I am coming off of over a year and a half of low-calorie eating (WW), and it is simply a little difficult to switch from that mindset to the mindset that, yes, I can eat more and still succeed. That's all. I don't want to be rude, but I would REALLY appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. Thanks.