Roadtrips

So, going on a roadtrip this weekend from Omaha, Nebraska to Ann Arbor, Michigan for some good ol' College Football. Anyway, my problem is the drive is about 10hrs and I get super bored in the car and I'm ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS hungry. I'm not looking forward to it to say the least. Just two of us going. I can't read in a car, because I get motion sickness. I don't typically believe in appetite suppressants--but maybe it wouldn't hurt. It is hard to drink water to keep full, because I don't want to have to stop every 50 miles. Any suggestions?

Replies

• LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    I love roadtrips!! I like to sing in the car...and that helps to keep me from wanting to eat. lol But if that isn't an option...I eat a mint when I'm trying to keep from mindless snacking. It makes me not want anything else. Otherwise bring some healthy snacks...fruit, maybe some nuts. Have fun!!
  • GardeningZombie
    GardeningZombie Posts: 55 Member
    The best suggestion? Well, don't spend a dime in Michigan! :laugh: :laugh:

Anyways, chewing gum, salad wraps, and tea!

Beat those Wolverines!
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    I just finished a road trip... I stopped at grocery stores along the way and bought carrots, snow peas, broccoli, turkey peperoni, baby bell cheese and I just snack the entire way but I logged everything I bought so that I could snack without going over my calories. It is a good way to do it... the veggies give you fibre and meats and cheese give you protein (which will constipate you if you eat too much without veggies but it also keeps you full) Also... drink TONS of water.... water will keep you full longer because then everything in your stomach is more like liquid so your body can't empty its stomach as fast! Good luck!! :)
  • ferreteers
    ferreteers Posts: 49 Member
    We always bring a small cooler and have frozen water bottles and snacks. Some great choices are:
    - Fruit: apples, grapes, mini oranges
    - Veggie sticks like carrots, celery, pepper strips
    - Mini cups of dip like ranch or hummus
    - Whole grain crackers or pretzels
    - Granola bars or trail mix

I'm usually in charge of the music, so that keeps me busy, or on my phone giving directions. We now have the waze app on the phone so I look out for obstacles to report or if we need to change routes.

Have fun!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Either bring snacks that fit your budget or don't bring food in the car. It's hard to eat what isn't there.
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Game day road trips are the best! In addition to the beer cooler we have trail mix, string cheese, apples, grapes, meat/cheese wraps. I do like the option that someone stated to go to a grocery store and stop and pick up items along the way. Sounds like a great idea and one less cooler to pack.

Try games like finding different states license plates, name that tune while flipping through radio stations, roadtrip bingo (basic bingo board with different items you see on the road. Rest area sign, No U turn sign, Train, ect) honking/waving at random people to see if they are nice and wave back or give you the bird. lol.

Hope you have a fun road trip and GO BIG RED!!!!!
  • cjohn2278
    cjohn2278 Posts: 65 Member
    First of all...Go Blue (even though I do live in Nebraska...born and raised in Michigan!)

When I go on road trips we stock the cooler with lots of fruit and veggies and healthy dip like hummus. I also like to take crackers like wheat thins for something salty/crunchy! For meals we often have turkey wraps with lettuce and tomatoes maybe cucumbers, this way there is less temptation to get a burger at the truck stops!

Have a great trip!!

(Can you really make it in only 10 hours...it took us 3 days to get to Detroit from Scottsbluff!!)
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    First of all...Go Blue (even though I do live in Nebraska...born and raised in Michigan!)

When I go on road trips we stock the cooler with lots of fruit and veggies and healthy dip like hummus. I also like to take crackers like wheat thins for something salty/crunchy! For meals we often have turkey wraps with lettuce and tomatoes maybe cucumbers, this way there is less temptation to get a burger at the truck stops!

Have a great trip!!

(Can you really make it in only 10 hours...it took us 3 days to get to Detroit from Scottsbluff!!)

I'm not really sure. From Omaha to Chicago was about 6 1/2 hrs. We do go above the speed limit with very minimal stops. (Like--I have to hold my bladder and hope we need gas within the next 100 miles. lol).

I don't like turkey, but I like chicken--so maybe some chicken wraps would be good.

I'm hoping for a good game. We both need the win and we both can look quite pathetic. lol
  • granola, fruits & nuts...always keeps me going and a great alternative to fast food along the way.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    college football means
    BOOZE
    LOTS OF IT!
    PARTY ON!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Rice cakes are crunchy and super low cal. They taste like cardboard but might satisfy your urge to be eating something.