New Digital Scales - totally gutted

Options
I bought some new digital scales today and was really excited to test them out. I expected to have a few pounds difference but the digital scales are 10lbs heavier than my (really) old mechanical scales.

What's the best thing to do? change my starting weight to adjust for the new 'weight gain' or just have a 'weight gain' showing?

I was going to sit down with a homemade chocolate muffin today as a treat for having a bad day at work, but i've put it back in the tin(thanks mfp). The old me would have eaten a few after seeing the new weight gain! (hopefully the emotional cycle of comfort eating has finally broken)

any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    You definitely go by the old scale, because when you started out, it told you what you weighed and now it has told you how how many pounds you have lost, so if you want to use the new scales, subtract the 10 pounds from it each time you weigh, because it may be more accurate as to what you weigh right now, but it does not change how many pounds you have lost in total.
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Same thing with mine. My old one matched with doctors so I'm gonna give up the digital . Who needs the bummer!
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I decided to go with the digital scale reading when it happened to me - even though it was more on the digital scale because I wanted to have my goals reflect my true weight. So, I adjusted my goals and have gotten myself back on track since having obtained the scale.

Vickie
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. My scale at home is approx 5 less than the digital and mechanical ones at my gym. I like mine better though haha.
  • ambrosekathym
    ambrosekathym Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would make sure the new scale is accurate by comparing to your doctor's scale. If it is, just add your old pounds lost to your new pounds lost going forward. The total, plus how you feel is more important than what any scale says.

Congrats on getting past the comfort eating!!