Morning workouts..... how do you do it?

Options
13»

Replies

• LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I set up my clothes and stuff the night before....set the alarm and then just DO IT. After a while it becomes habit and gets easier. I prefer it since it sets the tone for the day energy wise and if anything comes up later i have no excuse for missing my workout.
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I just get up, put my workout clothes on before my mind talks me out of it, and tells me to get back in bed. I have my DVD already in the player so all I need to do is hit play. then in 20-25 minutes i'm done. the time is going to pass if I do it or not, but I feel such an accomplishment when done, that's my motivation. I also do something on my lunch hour at least 3 days or more during the week.

so I try to get in almost 60 minutes total for the day! just keep telling yourself the great feeling of accomplishment you'll feel, then if you have time yet after work, do another...

I also had a friend call me that got up at 5 to workout! that really helped, she doesn't have to do it anymore, but it really helped!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:15 every morning to work out. It's not easy and most mornings I'd love to turn off my alarm, roll over and go back to sleep! However, like the Nike slogan says, I "just do it." There is no easy way. You just have to set your alarm and GET UP when it goes off. If I allow myself to make excuses for why I'm too tired to get up, I'll never do it, so I don't allow myself to do that. No matter how much I want to sleep longer, I force myself out of bed when the alarm goes off.
  • bads1
    bads1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has anything to do with being a morning person really. Translate your motivation for working out at night to the A.M., so that you can do what you want at night. The snooze on my alarm is 9 minutes, and for years it was my favorite button. One morning, after hitting snooze, I asked myself, what's the point in 9 more minutes of sleep? I'll feel the exact same way in 9 minutes as I do now, but I'll be stressed because I'm running behind schedule wise.

At night I have the willpower to set my alarm to get up early for the gym, and in the morning I ask myself what's the point in hitting the snooze or resetting the alarm? I could blow off the gym, and sleep another hour, but I'll still feel the same, and an hour's sleep after I already woke up isn't that great (for me). But I know the feeling I'll get as I walk OUT of the gym, the sense of satisfaction can be overwhelming.

It's my motivation...

Wow, this one helps me a lot. I really do feel the same whether I've slept another 10 mins or not. I'll have to remember that one on my morning runs. Thanks for reminding me of that. :happy:

Glad I could help! :smile:
  • suzeq22
    suzeq22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been getting up at 5 AM for the past six weeks to work out. I take my labrador for a two mile walk and on the weekends, I "sleep in". I'm usually up by 6:30 AM and we do three miles. Granted, it's cold and dark and I'm a little messed up since last weekend's daylight savings (I keep waking up at 4 AM but I refuse to get out of bed until 5, still waiting to get used to the change) but now the sun is starting to come up near the end of my walk so it's a little better. I lay out all my workout clothes the night before, my fitbit vibrates at 5:00 to get me out of bed and my dog is so excited to go out for his walk that I think I would feel guilty if I skipped it now. It was 27 degrees yesterday morning (my dog had to wear his coat!) but 40 this morning. The cold days really s*$& but once I get moving, it's not that bad. I just started C25K on Monday (did week 1 day 2 this morning) and I'm not sure what I'll do when the snow flies, I'll try to walk/run outside as best I can but we also have a gym down the street so I may need to move it inside. I dread seeing the sad look on my dog's face if he doesn't go out with me, he's quite the motivator! They say it takes six weeks to make it a habit. I'm in week 6 and I have to agree, it is a habit now. I really don't think about NOT doing it. Morning workouts are not for everyone but for me, it's really the only way I know I'll do it and can still get my son out the door to school on time, get to work, etc. Good luck!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I love workout out in the morning, I feel energized for the day and I don't have to stress about it after work. That said, it was a tough transition to make!

The thing that gets me out of bed is having the coffeemaker on a timer. I love my coffee so being able to smell it when the alarm goes off motivates me to get up. I get a small cup before I work out as well.

And go to bed early :)
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    There are many benefits to working out in the morning. But none of them matter when it's cold, dark and the bed is warm...getting up is really hard!

I am a morning person and it is still hard. But here is how, and why I do it. First, everything for the morning is ready. Shoes, gym clothes, sweat towel, iPod, ear buds, even a filled water bottle is in a pile so I don't have to stagger in the dark to find my stuff. That is critical for me! (I've heard some people even sleep in their work out clothes but that seems extreme.) I even go so far as to pack my lunch and make breakfast the night before, so I have more time to work out. But the rest is mental. One more hour of sleep is such a waste when you consider you can burn over 500 calories in that same time frame (depending on your work out). Once you're out of bed, it gets easier and I remind myself of that. Splash water on your face first - that helps. The biggest benefit for me is the endorpins. I'm addicted! When I miss a day I am "off" - I do sooo much better mentally, have a better attitude, higher energy and a clear head. Plus I know I've "checked it off" the list, and the thought of having to work out is no long hanging over my head. I give myself the weekends to sleep as late as I want, but during the week, 5x a week, the alarm goes off at 4:45 am. So much easier in the summer, but it is my commitment to my health and fitness, and I've made it a priority. Plus then I get to just relax after work - that is a huge benefit.

For me it's like anything else in this journey - Just Do It. No Excuses.
  • jazi719
    jazi719 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I drag my butt out of bed every M-F by 5am (alarm goes off at 4:30... I need me some snooze time). I sit in front of my computer and have my coffee and think of every excuse NOT to workout. Sometimes the excuses work, you just have to push yourself. There is no other way around it.
  • gojodster
    gojodster Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well I wouldn't say Im as Crazy as others to do a middle of the night workout but if that's the time they have that is awesome to still make it work. :)

I counted backwards from when I had to be at work and how long it takes me to get ready for the day and that's when I get up. lol I want as much sleep as possible.

I have to be to work by 9 so I have to leave my home by 8:30 and it takes me 45-1hr to get out the door, my workouts are anywhere from 35-47 mins so I give myself an hr so I can get dressed, setup in my basement. so that means I have to get up at 6:30 to get it all done. I also Printed a schedule and put it on my Mirror so I can see it every day and mark it off that I did it! this helps and also there is no.. "hum what workout should I do today" going on. I really like my sleep so If I know I have a shorter workout that day I will get up at 7 instead. lol but I still get up right after the alarm goes off grab my workout clothes off the end of my bed and get to it!

I agree that going to bed earlier is key but I honestly am doing good to get to bed before midnight. so some days its hard but its my ME time and I need it to get me through every day. The days I don't im dragging and so need my ME time.
  • jess_erin
    jess_erin Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!! I know it's more of a mental game for me but I'm just going to do it. Hopefully in a few weeks it will become a habit. I'm going to use a lot of your tips (no showering at night, everything ready night before, take dog for a walk first so I have to get up). Thanks again. :flowerforyou:
  • MissJennaBelle
    Options
    Find a workout that you absolutely LOVE and that will call you out of bed in the morning :) I also have my alarm clock set with the message saying "You won't get results hitting snooze!!"

I like that idea of having that kind of message on the alarm - good little motivator. I'm starting on AM home workouts again having recently quit the gym. I got better results and stuck to it when I was doing AM home workouts. Did my 3rd AM workout this morning. As others have said I prepare everything the night before and set my alarm for 6am. I spend about 5 mins waking up then get up to get to it! Feel so much better for it during the day and because I've made the effort to get up and workout I'm more conscious of the food I eat because I don't want my hard work to go to waste so I tend to make healthier choices throughout the day.

Once you're in a routine you will be fine, good luck!
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am not a mornning person at all. I do however workout in the mornings because I can't give myself an excuse not to get it in first thing in the morning. My morning workout is a long walk, 4 miles or more in one hour, followed by weights with some stretching and strengthening add in.

I started out motivated to get healthy and it is now a habit to continue to get healthy for life.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If the issue is getting out of bed you could get this alarm clock. It runs away from you getting progressively louder. :devil:

http://www.nandahome.com/

redred1.jpg
  • oroblar
    oroblar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Almost all of the ideas on here is exactly what I did to get my workouts in the morning. I work 8 - 5 M-F and have a two year old at home. The time I get with her can never be enough and when I was working out at night I was skipping to come home and play. For the past 6 months I started working out in the morning. Luckily I am a morning person, just not a 6 am morning person. I do get up at 6:00 am now and it has become routine. I have packets of oatmeal etc stored at work so I can grab breakfast when I get there. I do pack at night, although I am constantly forgetting something most of the time. As the military says - Use the bunch of P's for success. PROPER PLANNING PREVENTS PISS POOR PERFORMANCE!
  • karinschoultz
    karinschoultz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person that said find a work out you love. I started bootcamp over two years ago in the summer when Im off of work. I became addicted and when work started back in the fall I started going to a 5am class. I absolutely love the class, it gets my day going and I really enjoy getting home after work and having my workout behind me. I do go to bed very early every night since I get up at 4am every morning,and my social life has suffered a little, but the benefits far outweigh that! I am stronger than I've ever been, have met so many wonderful people who are crazy enough to get up and kick butt at 5AM!
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've been doing morning workouts for a while now and love them. While in university I wanted to make getting up early easier and I found some advice online that really helped.

I don't need to do this anymore, but when I first started getting up early I had to follow it strictly. Now it's easy

1. As soon as your alarm goes off, get up. Literally stand up. If that means placing you alarm on the other side of the room then do it. The worst/hardest part is when you are laying there, not wanting to get up. If you just stand up then it's done.

2. Give yourself some time to get ready before you head out. I find I need 30 - 45 minutes to get dressed, eat a small meal and check my email. By the time I hit the gym/fitness class I feel completely awake and ready to go. Do not get back into bed.

Hope this helps!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Bump for reading later.