food that are high in protein?

Options
samco66
samco66 Posts: 126 Member
MFP is saying I only need 68g of protein and im confused? i workout 5-6 days a week an hour each day, strength training and cardio. im 5"6 120lbs 20 y/o female who just wants to get toned / healthy, i am training for a half marathon next sumemr..I need some suggestions on food/ meals that are high in protein? i don't like red meat ( but im not a vegetarian) i do like chicken. Besides chicken and eggs, what are good sources of protein? i also need foods with a good amount of fats, i am not getting enough. So does anyone else think i need more protein than 68g? i really don't know but 68G is hard, i had 118g yesterday so if thats too much i need to know. I don't want to take any supplements either, i want to get my protein from my food.

Replies

• ntatbeeq
    ntatbeeq Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Handful of any nuts is a good source of fats and protein
  • tonyyung779
    tonyyung779 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    MFP is saying I only need 68g of protein and im confused? i workout 5-6 days a week an hour each day, strength training and cardio. im 5"6 120lbs 20 y/o female who just wants to get toned / healthy, i am training for a half marathon next sumemr..I need some suggestions on food/ meals that are high in protein? i don't like red meat ( but im not a vegetarian) i do like chicken. Besides chicken and eggs, what are good sources of protein? i also need foods with a good amount of fats, i am not getting enough. So does anyone else think i need more protein than 68g? i really don't know but 68G is hard, i had 118g yesterday so if thats too much i need to know. I don't want to take any supplements either, i want to get my protein from my food.

There are different theories on protein - I'm doing body composition right now so I'm targeting 1 g per lb of body weight. 68 grams seems low to me regardless of what your end game is. Fish or pork? You can eat dark meat chicken too or fattier cuts of pork if you need to fit fat macros in.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's defaults, their protein tends to be set low. I usually consider it a minimum rather than a maximum.

Of course, meat is a great source of protein, and shrimp, fish, etc. Don't forget dairy like cheese, milk, and Greek yogurt.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, hard cheese, turkey peperoni, tuna, chicken, red meat, beans, nuts, almond butter, whole grain breads
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    MFP is set to 15% by default, a lot of people set it higher.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    MFP's default macro settings are 55c/15p/30f (as i recall)...most definitely low on the protein side. I try to get at least 145 grams per day (my LBM) or more and up to about 200 grams. Basically I have protein at every meal and snack...I have ham and eggs pretty much every morning...usually some chicken, pork tenderloin, fish, beef for lunch, and one of those for dinner as well and usually supplement with whey...usually a couple of protein shakes per day. Whey is food BTW...it's been used for thousands of years...
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    1) the MFP recommendation for protein can be a bit low depending on your goals and activities. If you are lifting heavy, you most likely need more protein. If you are primarily a cardio person then you should be fine.

2) speaking of carbs - eat them if you are 1/2 marathon training. many runners go up to 55% carbs during race season and when training gets long.

3) dairy. peanut/anynut butter. fish. whole grains. legumes. tofu. all good options for healthy fats and protein.
  • babyluu80
    babyluu80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Fatty fish like salmon are a good source of protein and healthy fats. Also any kinds of nuts for snacks will be good for you. Beans are also good as well. I love eating edamame beans as a snack, low calories and high protein. I also drink a soy protein shake and add chia seeds to it. Both great sources of protein and omega-3 fatty acids.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    beyond steak bacon and eggs- favorite source of protein

29 grams of Gold Standard whey Protein
    6 oz of plain low fat greek yogurt
    5 oz of blackberries/raspberries

Mix protein and yogurt- till smooth.

Heat fruit.

add fruit to mix.

eat delicious ness- 250 calories- 45 grams of protein. easy peasy lemon squeezy.
  • debbie1301
    debbie1301 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Boca - Flame Grilled Burger, 2 patty (71g) has about 15 grain of protien are very good there in the organic section at Kroger the other brand is OK but the Boco is the best
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    As a Personal Trainer, here is my advice:

Given what you mentioned in the OP (that you are doing strength training, and training for an event), I'd suggest about 0.6 to 0.8g of protein per pound of lean body weight.

Example: I weigh about 205 lbs. My lean body weight is about 195 lbs. I try to eat 150 - 160g of protein a day.

Ever tried whey protein powder? I use it a lot.

I'm not saying that other ideas or suggestions are wrong, I'm just telling you what I do, and what my training has taught me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LOL that was just breakfast. Vanialla protein in yogurt? seriously? with fruit? it taste's like pie- it's delicious.

Chicken is for dinner.... I eat both- I just don't like eating chicken for breakfast.

But I'd rather have steak than chicken .. it's meh. I eat it constantly- steak wins any day though.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    steak, chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, shrimp, whey, fish, turkey
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    But I'd rather have steak than chicken .. it's meh. I eat it constantly- steak wins any day though.

Just have to get inventive with the chicken (Something about a feather and a whole chicken goes here). Marinate it over night in some entertaining combo of spices/vinegar/alcohol (Spiced rum is fun)/ and a bit of oil, and you can make that chicken very non-boring. Try throwing a pureed jalapeno in the mix for some bite.

But if I have to put anything on the steak, it means you made it wrong.
    My normal lunch salad starts with 8oz of chicken. I wish they had steak on the salad bar.
  • samco66
    samco66 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    thanks for the helpful answers everyone, it is greatly appreciated :)
  • jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    I try to eat at least a little bit of protein during every meal. Breakfast is a shake with protein powder and plain, non-fat Greek yogurt. For lunch I have one or two string cheeses and 15 raw almonds, and dinner I have grilled chicken in my salad. I eat pretty much the same foods every day, so pretty boring, but I hit my targets. :)
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of egg whites, mini baby bell cheeses, chicken peanut butter or PB2.