Heavy lifting at home workout for 'beginner' woman?

Options
Hi all, thought I'd pick your brains and look for some suggestions...

I want to start doing some heavy lifting at home and am looking for some good suggestions on a workout routine. I have a barbell and two dumbell bars all with removable weights (and plenty of weights to make it heavy!). I don't have a bench.

I'm looking for an all over body workout that wont take hours, that I can do a few times a week.

Could anyone suggest a routine of exercises that would work the whole body, and how many times a week I should be doing it to build muscle?

I am aware (please correct me if I'm wrong) that I should be doing each exercise for 5 - 8 reps so that I can barely manage the last rep, and then repeat 2 more times with rests in between.

I guess I would be classed as a beginner, as although I've done lots of lifting, this is my first time of lifting 'heavy'.

Or if anyone can point me in the right direction of finding good workouts that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't have a barbell but this is what I do when I work out at home using dumbbells:

Goblet squats
    Dumbbell lunges
    Push-ups
    Dumbbell rows (using my couch as a bench)
    Dumbbell shoulder press

Since you do have a bar you could put dead-lifts in there.
  • williamsa522
    Options
    Having no bench I would suggest dead lifts, cleans, and bent-over barbell rows as all three are compound lifts that require a large number of different muscle groups to perform.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
  • mazari
    mazari Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have just started this week I found this & was wondering how good it was, It say full body work out with dumbbells

I started Mon here is the link

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

Best wishes
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    I do dumbell presses on the floor on my gym mat and a large towel to support my back, some other good routines on here which i'll be using! Nothing too heavy though as run a risk of fatigue and heavy object to the head as youre unsupervised!

Thanks all.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    If you're interested at all in a program, I'm doing ChaLEAN extreme right now and I am LOVING it. It sounds like it might be something for you to consider. I do it 3 times a week, it's only 30 minutes, you lift heavy, and you go slow until you "fail" (as she puts it) between 10-12 reps. My husband is doing Body Beast and that's similar too. He's having a great time and we're both seeing really fast results. I've also done Body Revolution which has a lot of weight training where you can go heavy. But there are so many good options out there. Don't forget to check youtube as well for some free workouts! I know there are also lots of routines online (as others have said!), I just like it when someone else does all the work for me. But my husband just writes down what the video says to do so he can listen to his podcasts. It all depends on what you style is I guess. Good luck!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I guess I would be classed as a beginner, as although I've done lots of lifting, this is my first time of lifting 'heavy'.

Or if anyone can point me in the right direction of finding good workouts that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Dont overcomplicate things. Strong Lifts 5x5 is a great starting programme and loved on MFP. Do compound lifts 3 times a week for 30 minutes a time.

That's it.
  • hammycakes
    hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is great. there is even a forum here for fans in various stages- and the program is even respected on bodybuilding. com. I did 5x5 for a while but I thought it got boring fast.

You can modify NROL4W for a while but if you want to lift heavy, you need a rack sooner or later- you said you have a barbell, do you have a rack?
  • JBearsMom21
    JBearsMom21 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Second vote for Chalean Extreme! Super easy to follow at home and gets amazing results! Love it! :)
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    I use an exercise ball for the dumbbell press that way I am working core at the same time balancing on the ball.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance.

Dont overcomplicate things. Strong Lifts 5x5 is a great starting programme and loved on MFP. Do compound lifts 3 times a week for 30 minutes a time.

That's it.

This!!! Or try NROLW or Starting Strength
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest looking at a program like Starting Strength or New Rules Of Lifting. I do Strong Lifts at home, but since you don't have a bench, you may not want to invest any more money.

I strength train 2-3 times a week. The routine takes 30 minutes to an hour. You definitely don't need tons of time. Just some compound lifts so you hit all main muscle groups.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options

Thanks in advance.

That's it.

^^^ This
  • xmel123x
    Options
    Thanks everyone I shall take a look at all the suggestions.
    I don't have a bench or a rach and the main reason is I just don't have the room to put it anywhere! I am thinking of getting one in the future and putting it in the garden, but living in England I'm definitely going to have to wait for winter to pass!