Advice for someone that knows absolutely nothing about yoga!

Options
I walk several miles several times a week and that has helped me to get in pretty decent shape but so many people talk about yoga and how amazing it is, and I'd like to give it a try! What do you guys suggest? Any websites I should check out or YouTube videos you suggest? I would REALLY like to try it out. Thanks y'all!

Replies

• calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love Yoga....it's absolutely great for balance and flexibiliy and there are plenty of runners in my class. If you are new...I would suggest going to a class versus trying it at home. Proper alignment is key and a teacher can help correct your position if they see that it is off.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    A class is definitely best!

Check out Yoga Journal's website to read articles, notes on the poses, etc, though. If you have to go by video instruction only for some reason, I think theirs is very well done. Yoga Zone also has good videos, and their form pointers are good in the ones I've done.

After you've taken yoga for a while, you can pick up most any DVD and know what to avoid and proper form from your classes. But many DVDs out there don't really give the form explanations necessary for folks who don't know them already, so be careful.
  • aklove907
    aklove907 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I walk several miles several times a week and that has helped me to get in pretty decent shape but so many people talk about yoga and how amazing it is, and I'd like to give it a try! What do you guys suggest? Any websites I should check out or YouTube videos you suggest? I would REALLY like to try it out. Thanks y'all!

fund this website just last week, and am a newbie myself! The site seems very informative, and has full length videos for free. They also have breathing techniques! Good luck! =)

http://www.doyogawithme.com
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think going to yoga classes is best if you can afford it. Try a local place that focuses on yoga rather than a big gym. They're really able to help you and teach you how to do things properly without risking injury.
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I always feel fantastic after yoga :smile: I definitely recommend going to a class first if you're a newbie -- most centres I've been to offer some kind of discounted trial period or introductory offer. Even the simplest-looking postures need proper alignment, and there's no substitute for an experienced eye to correct your form. If you start out with DVDs and YouTube videos, the best-case scenario is that you won't get the maximum benefit from each posture, and the worst-case scenario is that you'll injure yourself.

Also, when choosing a class, pay attention to what type of yoga you'll be doing, since they can vary quite a bit. (For example, I would not recommend choosing Bikram for your first ever class!) I'd suggest starting out with something like hatha yoga to get a taste of the fundamentals of the practice. Don't expect a sweaty, heart-pumping, high-intensity workout (unless you're doing any sort of heated power yoga classes) -- that's not the point. For a first-timer, the most important thing is that you focus first and foremost on your breathing and alignment. Don't try to "keep up" with anybody else in the class, just take each posture at your own pace and respect your body's limits. Your yoga practice is just for you. Nobody will care at all if you can't tie yourself into knots on day one :wink:

All the best with it!!