Weight and fertility problems

Options
Anyone here ever had fertility issues, then lost weight and been able to concieve?

I was so overweight originally that I quit having my periods all together and could not have a child.
Now that I have lost 80lbs, my periods have been normal and on time the last 3 months in a row.

I am wondering if anyone has had the same issues, and if they were able to concieve afterwards?

(I'm not trying to concieve currently, but my husband and I would like to be able to when the time is right.)

Replies

• sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Before I got pregnate with my daughter I lost 35lbs and I was pleaslently suprised when I got pregnate. My doctor told me that losing the weight is how I got pregnate. With my son I went on fertility drugs because I did not want to loose weight. Now I am taking the wieght off for good. I wish you luck in the future! Great job on loosing that much so far it is awsome!
  • rockchick793
    rockchick793 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also have that problem. I had a miscarraige in 2008 and have not been able to conceive since. I'm not really in any hurry, but I do have the problem with an irregular monthly. I strongly believe mine is the weight.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    We have been TTC since June 1, 2009. We had our first loss at 9 weeks on September 5, 2009 and have been unable to get pregnant since. I am trying to lose weight in hopes that it helps with our fertility problems. Even if it does not help us get pregnant again, being healthier will certainly make for a healthier pregnancy and a lower risk of miscarriage. Our first infertility doctors appointment is next tuesday and I know that he will talk about my weight while there. Hopefully the 11 pounds I have already taken off will help and I will keep losing while waiting for our turn to be parents!
  • ♡MyCurves
    ♡MyCurves Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem conceiving...well i wasn't as heavy as I am now...prob. about 50lbs less...with my last 2 pregnancies.
  • MandiPandi757
    MandiPandi757 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was under 200 lbs. when I had my first son 10 yrs. ago and had no problems conceiving him. In 2004 I got pregnant with my second son, but had to be put on a fertility drug to concieve him. After my first son I didn't lose the weight, I was at 230 lbs. Ever since having both of my kids my periods became irregular and before I knew it I was up to 260 lbs. I was either having 3 periods a year or no periods at all. Now that I've lost 56 lbs. my periods are regular again. We have no plans to have another child. I think weight has a lot to do with being able to or not to conceive a child. I think if you keep up with the weight loss and a healthy diet, and when you and your husband are ready for a child, then I think it will happen for you. Awesome job on losing that much weight so far. I wish you the best for you and your husband and hope that you'll be blessed with a child when the time is right.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    A lot of time when you hear a doctor talk about weight and fertility issues in the same sentence they will mention PCOS as well. So many women get that diagnosis these days. I was diagnosed with it at 15 and had ridiculous issues with my period. I started gaining weight around 16/17 years of age and by 19 was much heavier then I ever imagined. I would skip months on end and then have a horrible period.

Shockingly, in November of 2006 I was told that it would be hard for me to conceive because of how severe my PCOS was and one month later I was pregnant. Mind you, everyone is different. Because of my health issues, after I had my son in August 2007 I had three miscarriages. I was much heavier after having him. I really attribute it all to the PCOS. But a glucose diet is something that really helps with that and it doesn't even mean that is your issue! Just mentioning it because its so common these days!

Every woman is so different! I hope that when your time comes you will be ready to roll because of the dedication you have shown here! :o)
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant with my daughter almost 8 years ago I had no problems in fact it was a huge surprise. I was 230 when I concieved her. I got married this last May to a wonderful man who although loves my daughter with all of his heart really wants children of his own with me. I took my last BC pill the day I got married. In August I had my last period but am not pregnant. I have yet to get my cycles back. I was diagnoced with PCOS even before my daughter was concieved but was still able to concieve easily. However this time around my Doc says it is my PCOS that is keeping me from concieving. So I know what you are going through. It is so frustrating to go month after month without having a cycle knowing that it isn't because there is a precious little one growing inside you. Hopefully we can both lose the weight that we need to so that our fertility returns and we can both expierence the joys of a new beautiful little baby.
  • lowpost42
    lowpost42 Posts: 49
    Options
    A lot of time when you hear a doctor talk about weight and fertility issues in the same sentence they will mention PCOS as well. So many women get that diagnosis these days. I was diagnosed with it at 15 and had ridiculous issues with my period. I started gaining weight around 16/17 years of age and by 19 was much heavier then I ever imagined. I would skip months on end and then have a horrible period.

Shockingly, in November of 2006 I was told that it would be hard for me to conceive because of how severe my PCOS was and one month later I was pregnant. Mind you, everyone is different. Because of my health issues, after I had my son in August 2007 I had three miscarriages. I was much heavier after having him. I really attribute it all to the PCOS. But a glucose diet is something that really helps with that and it doesn't even mean that is your issue! Just mentioning it because its so common these days!

Every woman is so different! I hope that when your time comes you will be ready to roll because of the dedication you have shown here! :o)

Much like you my wife was diagnosed PCOS in her teens. She's recently started having periods again after losing 20 pounds on a severely carb-reduced diet. We have 3 children, no miscarriages (thank you, Jesus) and all 3 were conceived without the aid of drugs.

It certainly seems to me that weight and conceptual viability are linked.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Even though I'm a grandma...(way past the having babies stage) I am a gastric bypass patient. One of the things they tell you in the seminar, in the very beginning of being approved, they stress BIG TIME, that losing weight, makes you a fertile myrtle. Proven fact. Ask any bariatric doctor. Best of luck to you! Being a grandma is even more fun!!! I get to send them home!!! :bigsmile: