need a new cell phone

Options
dcarr67
dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
I am currently with Verizon and have HTC Thunderbolt that aggravates the *kitten* out of me. It was their first 4g phone when I bought it. It is hard to give up because I have unlimited data but I dont use more than a gig usually anyway. We have 4 phones and I have to change plans, so that will suck. What I am asking though is what kind of phone do you all recommend? I don't think I want an Iphone I am happy with android for the most part. My son has a moto razr and recommends the newer moto maxx. Decisions decisions...LOL

Replies

• crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i just got the new windows phone by nokia... i love it!
  • dcarr67
    Options
    a guy at work has one and loves it too. He said it took a little getting used to. I need to go to the verizon store and look at them on person.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy S4 is my baby.

Get that, the note 2 or the nexus 5
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    love my iphone5s
  • Nonya81
    Nonya81 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy is a good phone
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be phone shopping too, and am intrigued by the Samsung Galaxy 4. I have one of the first galaxies, and have really liked it............................but it's more than 2 yrs old!

Verizon SUCKS though................I've been with them for about 15 yrs, and they're taking away my employee discount cuz I'm retired.................they don't have any deals for old fogies like me :(
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I got the Optimus F3 earlier this year and love it! It looks similar to an iPhone and works as well as anything else on the market. I'd considered the Galaxy as well, but I don't like how big it is. I did promotional modeling with Net10 promoting the new Galaxy though so I can say those are pretty neat phones! Still wouldn't change my decision though, I love my phone and it wasn't outrageously expensive either:)
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone and love it -- I have used an Android previously and constantly had issues. I use AT&T and love their service. Previously I've used Verizon, Tracfone, and Virgin Mobile.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I ditched Verizon and moved first to ATT, then recently TMO.

ATT and TMO use SIM cards, so you can swap your phone in seconds without the whole activation/re-activation nonsense on Sprint/VZW.

T-MO have a huge advantage for me in that they split the cost of the phone from the cost of the line.

My service is under $50/month after corporate discount.
    - Unlimited Calls
    - Unlimited Txt
    - Unlimited Data

Because I can swap my SIM card between phones, I do as I need to.

- Galaxy Note 2 - this is my most used phone - the huge screen, decent camera and decent battery life is great for week-day use. I use it as a wire-less hotspot for my iDevice and my Android tablet. I ditched the Samsung ROM and now run a self-built ROM based on AOSP but with the Google Play additions and a few battery tweaks.

- Google Nexus 4 - My weekend phone. Currently I am running Ubuntu on this one, once more this is a dev build and it is pretty stable too. I love the form factor - it fits in my pocket better than the NoteII

- Samsung Galaxy S2 - another Android, this time with CyanogenMod on it. Not used it in a while, but it is a decent phone once you get rid of all of the Samsung crap.

- Apple iPhone 4S - Small screen, but useable. I really like that BT LE works well and many fitness apps work with it. (Endomondo, fitbit, strava), I rarely use it as a phone. It generally gets its wireless connection from one of the Androids (Hotspot).

Personally I loathe the tiny screen on the iPhones - I detest having to find my reading glasses to use them and many mobile apps have such horrible screen utilization on the 4n series (cough MFP) that they are barely useable.
  • dcarr67
    Options
    TMobile just doesnt have very good service in my area. I looked into ATT but the price is really about the same. We have always been happy with Verizon's service, they are just so freakin expensive. I'll look up those phone thanks!!
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Samsung Galaxy S4 is the GOAT
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I just switched back to Android from an iPhone... couldn't stand the apple systems, and the way they try and force you into buying all their other crap to make your phone integrate better.

I got a Motorola Droid Ultra and really like it alot. It syncs great with my Win 7 ult 64 bit PC and all the programs needed to use it's pics and videos without any issues.

And my Verizon Droid Ultra uses a SIM card too... don't know where other poster is getting his info on that ......