Too much water

Options
Is there such a thing as too much water I drip about 16 cups a day but one of my friends said anything over 8 cups could hurt me anyone know anything about this

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    You're fine, drink more if you want. That's not even close to toxic levels.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    ^ I agree. My only concern with this much water would be how often I would have to pee... Lol. Really, I should be drinking more water than I do, though.
  • salsasally
    salsasally Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You're fine, drink more if you want. That's not even close to toxic levels.

What is the toxic level?
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Is there such a thing as too much water I drip about 16 cups a day but one of my friends said anything over 8 cups could hurt me anyone know anything about this

You're fine. I was reading recently that the "new" recommendation is 1/2 your body weight in ounces daily plus more if you are working out or during times of extreme heat. I currently drink at least 16 cups (1 gallon) daily and probably need to add another 3 to 4 cups on most days.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Depends on size, weight, age... I wouldn't worry about it though.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that excessive thirst is a symptom of diabetes. So if you are exhibiting this symptom have your blood glucose checked next time you are at the GP.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Unless you're drinking all 16 cups in under 2 minutes, you're fine. Drink when you're thirsty. If you're worried, talk to you GP about it.
  • toad493lbs
    toad493lbs Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes you can have too much water. also the 1/2 body weight is silly. I weigh 450 and no way i can drink half that in ounces. I do see a real dietitian and a cardiologist also and they want 8 glasses of water a day a for me. Much more can cause me to have problems with swelling. Good rule of thumb is Pee is clear your good, Pee is yellow you need more. Best bet is see a dietitian with a degree in it. doctors dont know foods.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

You're fine. I was reading recently that the "new" recommendation is 1/2 your body weight in ounces daily plus more if you are working out or during times of extreme heat. I currently drink at least 16 cups (1 gallon) daily and probably need to add another 3 to 4 cups on most days.

this^^^ I had kidney stones several years ago, and my urologist did tests to find out why. Part of what we found is that I was chronically dehydrated. At 228 lbs, my tests finally showed proper hydration at about a gallon a day ( 128oz or 16 cups). I'm now around 192lbs, and feel pretty good if I get at least 96oz ( 3 quarts or 12 cups)
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I drink about 3L a day and upwards, always have since I was little. I am fine :)
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think 16 cups is probably ok, although I don't agree with the clear pee. I've read that if its completely clear then your drinking too much. It should be slightly yellow but not dark.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Just be aware that excessive thirst is a symptom of diabetes. So if you are exhibiting this symptom have your blood glucose checked next time you are at the GP.

+1, if you are that thirsty, get a checkup with an MD just in case, diabetes is one, but there are other possible serious conditions with excessive thirst. You really shouldn't be thirsty for 16 cups, even 8 cups/day is a myth and not necessary. If you are screened and fine, it shouldn't hurt you though, unless your intake of salts is low.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    One of your friends is an idiot. Keep on doin' what you're doin'.
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    I drink that amount and haven't had any problems.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Pretty sure you're fine. Water cleanes are quite common and a good way to remove toxins.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    how much water you can drink depends on your weight. I would suggest googling it to find more information. You have to drink a TON of water in a short period of time for it to be "toxic" (basically it thins out your blood too much)

16 cups of water during an entire day is not going to hurt you or kill you in any way shape or form. Your friend is dumb.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    oh lord it took me awhile to figure out you meant drink not drip. I was thinking you had an incontinence problem. But nah youre fine youre still eating food and salt with your water
  • MellowBeast
    Options
    Very unlikely that you'll get water intoxication, unless you're drinking a huge amount in a small period of time. So don't worry too much about it. Yes, it's possible to drink too much water, but you probably won't do it. :P
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    oh lord it took me awhile to figure out you meant drink not drip. I was thinking you had an incontinence problem. But nah youre fine youre still eating food and salt with your water

LOL thats funny :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Im actually sitting here giggeling to myself