Not losing weight but exercising

Options
Hello, I'm 18 and I have a problem. I hope that I didn't post this in the wrong forum.

Oh well anyway, I'm gaining weight for some reason and I don't know why I am. I'm supposed to be losing weight and every time I check the scale my weight increases more.

I'm 5',7", and when I went to the doctors two weeks ago and I was told that I weigh 214. When I weigh myself at home, the scale says that I'm about 218-222. I don't understand why. I exercise at least 5 times a week. I'm still in high school and before school starts in the morning I walk for about 30-45 minutes and burn about 150-300 calories by doing this and in the afternoon after school I walk for about 20-40 minutes and burn about 200 calories. I use the CardioTrainer app. I don't understand why I'm gaining weight, I'm trying so hard to lose weight. I want to lose weight for senior prom and I want to be back in the 150-170 range by April.

I'm getting upset with myself because I don't think that I can reach my goal. Oh yeah and I'm supposed to eat 1660 calories per day to lose 1.5 pounds a week.

*About two weeks ago I went to Maggiano's(It was for my birthday and I don't usually go out to dinner much) for my birthday so I don't know if this could have done anything and I had a birthday cake but I didn't eat it a lot.

Is it possible that my scale could be inaccurate? If it is, what are one of the best scales that I can buy? I have one of those digital glass scales (my mother said that it wasn't too expensive)

When I first started out with MFP, I was losing weight and lost 30 pounds but then I gained 4 pounds over the summer and didn't start working out again until August because I wasn't able to go to the gym.

*Most of the time I'm a little under 1660 calories, sometimes I get to about 1400-1500 and on some days when I exercise a lot I'll eat about 1800 because I'm still hungry.

*I was thinking that my scale could be inaccurate because my brother and mother have used it and it had a different weight every time they went on it. They would try it three times and each time a different weight would come up.

*I track every single thing like drinks, water and i also track the condiments i use also.

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    It could be that your home scale weighs heavier than the doctor's scale and that you haven't gained at all. Besides, as you probably know, weight loss isn't linear, just plug away and be patient and consistent. This is a great thread if you haven't read it yet. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Different scales weigh differently. Don't compare the weight you got on your doctor's scale with the one you got on yours. Go by your scale, and see the progress. It may be inaccurate and may not give you your "true" weight, but it doesn't really matter if it's showing you how much you have lost.

If you feel that it's not accurately reflecting your progress, check the battery and make sure it's on a flat, hard surface (it won't be accurate on carpet.) Also, make sure that you're weighing yourself at the same time of day under the same conditions. Most people like to weigh themselves first thing in the morning, after they use the bathroom and before eating. Either naked, or wearing the same clothes each time.

Meanwhile, make sure you're taking measurements of your body, and progress photos can really help too!

Other than all of that, are you weighing and measuring and tracking all your food as accurately as possible? That's usually the main culprit if you're not losing.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm 18 and I have a problem. I hope that I didn't post this in the wrong forum.

Oh well anyway, I'm gaining weight for some reason and I don't know why I am. I'm supposed to be losing weight and every time I check the scale my weight increases more.

I'm 5',7", and when I went to the doctors two weeks ago and I was told that I weigh 214. When I weigh myself at home, the scale says that I'm about 218-222. I don't understand why. I exercise at least 5 times a week. I'm still in high school and before school starts in the morning I walk for about 30-45 minutes and burn about 150-300 calories by doing this and in the afternoon after school I walk for about 20-40 minutes and burn about 200 calories. I use the CardioTrainer app. I don't understand why I'm gaining weight, I'm trying so hard to lose weight. I want to lose weight for senior prom and I want to be back in the 150-170 range by April.

I'm getting upset with myself because I don't think that I can reach my goal. Oh yeah and I'm supposed to eat 1660 calories per day to lose 1.5 pounds a week.

*About two weeks ago I went to Maggiano's(It was for my birthday and I don't usually go out to dinner much) for my birthday so I don't know if this could have done anything and I had a birthday cake but I didn't eat it a lot.

Is it possible that my scale could be inaccurate? If it is, what are one of the best scales that I can buy? I have one of those digital glass scales (my mother said that it wasn't too expensive)

When I first started out with MFP, I was losing weight and lost 30 pounds but then I gained 4 pounds over the summer and didn't start working out again until August because I wasn't able to go to the gym.

Weight loss is primarily about how you eat. You are supposed to eat 1660 you say, but you don't mention if you consistently stick to that goal. One birthday meal 2 weeks ago would not have any lasting effects.

If your weight increases every time you get on the scale...then the problem isn't your scale. Yes scales may read differently, but steady increase is not going to be bc of a faulty scale.

You say you burn 150-300 calories per workout consistently, and that's good for you, but that will not compensate for consistently going well over your calorie goals for the day. (unless you overeat by fewer calories than you are burning.)

If you do log your food, are you weighing and measuring everything? It's very easy to overestimate portion sizes.
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    first of all, good on you for exercising!
    I would reccomend taking measurements so you dont just rely on the scales. Then take note of what your scales show and compare against them next week.

Make sure you are eating plenty of veges and fruit also
  • janakcarlson
    Options
    I'd really recommend taking your measurements. In the past 18 months I've lost 3 dress sizes but only 7kg. I've gained a fair bit of muscle. I stopped relying on the scales because I found them rarely accurate - the scale at the gym was different to the scale at home which was different to the scale in the doctors. I could fluctuate up and down 8kg day to day just based on what time of day I was weighing in and whether I'd been to the bathroom or not!!

If you're being honest when logging your calories (remember to include drinks and get into the habit of weighing/using cups for portion sizes because when I guess... I'm way off!!) you will lose weight, 100%.

I think it's fantastic that you're walking so much and moving around. Good job! It can be really hard to find that motivation so you're already on a good path. :) Good luck!
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Never compare your scale to your doctors. I leave my house in the morning weighing one thing, and I weighed myself at the doctor 15 minutes later and it showed an 8 lb difference. Use the same scale to track your progress. Also take body measurements and progress pics. These will show results better than a scale in some cases.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough.

Using the information you provided, according to Scooby's Workshop, you should be eating 2250 calories a day. I put you down as moderate exercise 3-5 days a week.

2250 was your TDEE-20% and that calculation gave you a 59 pound weight loss in 1 year.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Here you go.

bgv5g5.jpg
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough.

Using the information you provided, according to Scooby's Workshop, you should be eating 2250 calories a day. I put you down as moderate exercise 3-5 days a week.

2250 was your TDEE-20% and that calculation gave you a 59 pound weight loss in 1 year.

not eating enough may cause someone to stall, or lose slowly, but its not going to make anyone gain weight. the OP stated she was actually gaining, not just stuck.
  • dedeebabi101
    Options
    I think that you're right. :) My thigh and calf muscles are starting to feel tighter so maybe I am gaining muscle. I have noticed that my waist is starting to look smaller and I had love handles but they look like they're going away now.
  • dedeebabi101
    Options
    Thank you. :) I'm going to start eating 1800+ calories again. I had set my calorie goal for the day to 1660 which meant that I'd lose 1.5 lbs a week. A few weeks before I had it at 1800+ and that was around the time that I noticed that I was losing weight I had went to the doctor like two weeks before in September like early September, I think it was the 4th and then I went two weeks later on the 21st and I lost 3 pounds so it probably is best for me to eat 1800+ again. Thanks so much. :)
  • LBxLB
    LBxLB Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're taking photos and measurements to track your progress.
  • dedeebabi101
    Options
    I'm getting very depressed right now. :( I'm still gaining weight somehow. :( The stupid scale says that I'm 220 and it only goes down to 213-214 sometimes. I'm honestly ready not to go to prom next year, I'm really not going to now. :( If I can't get to my goal I'm definitely not going to senior prom. I'm upset with myself, my legs keep on getting bigger. I'm about to call it quits.

What's the point of trying so hard to exercise and burn calories if it's not benefiting you at all? I've been exercising from earlier this year in March, I was losing weight from March-June. When I started exercising in September again, I've just gained like almost 10 pounds. I'm trying very hard. :(

What am I possibly doing wrong? I'm almost late for school everyday because I dedicate at least 30-50 minutes before school starts to exercise. I hear about people losing weight and they're not exercising at all. What am I doing wrong?

My stupid stomach is always bloated all the time.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're measuring your food intake accurately? You might consider picking up a food scale and weighing your portions, at least for a while, to be sure.

You don't really need to exercise to lose the majority of the weight you want to lose. The walks can certainly help, but you should easily be dropping a pound a week if you're sticking to 1600-1700 calories/day.
  • dedeebabi101
    Options
    I recently started to increase my intake because I was eating 1600-1700 calories a day and I would burn about 500 calories a day and I noticed that I would only be left with 1000-1200 calories in my body per day. So I decided to increase my calorie intake to 1900 so that would mean that I'd have 1400 calories in my body after exercising and burning around 500 calories per day. I just want the fat to go away. :(.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Losing weight can be really frustrating. Please give yourself a break. You are moving in the right direction, and all of that stress and pressure is not going to help you the weight faster.

How often do you weigh yourself? Does the weight fluctuate or is it steadily going up. Women especially tend to have weight that fluctuates quite a lot due to water retention, so weighing yourself every day can be a way to make yourself nuts.

If the weight is going up and down, you may be seeing normal fluctuations. If it's steadily going up, it may just be a measuring issue. As another poster suggested, you could pick up a food scale and weigh your food to make sure you are logging accurately. Estimating portion size is hard. Trained dieticians mess it up if they don't measure.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Since your whole family is getting inconsistent readings on your scale, it's probably not accurate. I don't have a scale in my apartment, so I've been measuring progress through measurements. This might also account for possible muscle weight.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I recently started to increase my intake because I was eating 1600-1700 calories a day and I would burn about 500 calories a day and I noticed that I would only be left with 1000-1200 calories in my body per day. So I decided to increase my calorie intake to 1900 so that would mean that I'd have 1400 calories in my body after exercising and burning around 500 calories per day. I just want the fat to go away. :(.

Nineteen ought to work as well, I should think, considering you're spending several hundred on walks each day. I don't mean to belabor the point, but do you measure your portions, and make sure to log absolutely everything? You don't log something as baked when it's fried, or ignore snacks, or drinks, or anything like that?

I don't mean to seem condescending, it's just pretty common to take in more than you think you're taking in. And if you aren't getting the results you should be getting, that's the first place I'd look.
  • jenpinkrn
    Options