Need motivation/accountability buddies!

Options
Hi everyone! Glad I found this site. I have probably started a workout program about a million times now, and have NOT stuck with it. What makes matters worse, is I've actually been starting and stopping this for a good 10 years! Eeek!

Now I'm ready to start and keep with it for good. I'm actually doing a couple things, I'm trying to incorporate running into my weight program. I need to stay motivated enough to run in the morning or afternoon, then do weights at night. I need to fight the urge to put it off, or not do it all together!

Anyways, if anyone out there needs some support or motivation, or is starting a new program, let me know :)

L.

Replies

• Lyndzo
    Lyndzo Posts: 142
    Options
    Welcome! I just joined MFP last week and so far it's really helping :)

I feel that we have similar stories. For years I have stopped and starting a new "lifestyle". I have learned that you can only really start when you are 100% ready. Three weeks ago I began to drastically change the foods I eat and start going to the gym a few times a week. I realize that I don't need to force myself to go to the gym every single day, or I'm going to get sick of it and give up. I'm doing this to change my life but I don't want to make myself feel deprived either.

It will probably be hard but at least there is great support out there (well...here!) :)
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hello!

That's so true what you said about forcing yourself to work out. I've done this so many times just to find myself getting frustrated and bored. I'm glad I enjoy running, so it's easy for me to motivate myself.

Look forward to hearing more from you!

L.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Hello and Welcome!

I've been on MFP for about 3 weeks now and am still fluctuating. I'll have a really good week and then blow it on the weekend, or I'll have a great run on Tuesday and then be too sore to work out for the rest of the week. I need some accountability and a good plan.
    But I am pretty consistent about logging on to MFP and would love to be extra support for anyone who needs it! Please feel free to friend me if you'd like. I love adding new people!
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Alternately, I force myself to run every single morning. I do this because I am the queen of excuses, and once I allow myself to think that not going running is even an option, my resolve crumbles and I'm back to square one. Suddenly it's too cold, I'm too tired, my knee hurts, etc, etc. But if I make running something that I do every morning, like brushing my teeth, I'm more likely to stick to it.

What I do to keep it from getting bored is try to mix up my route. If I run the same route day after day I get bored, which means that I'm thinking about nothing but how much I hurt, which makes me hate running, which makes me not want to do it. So I try to run a different route everyday of varying lengths to keep things fresh.

But really, it's about whatever gets you off your butt and makes it happen. Best of luck!
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I just started (for the 100th time lol) again about 10 days ago.
    I'm finding MFP to be super useful and this is the most productive I've ever been with watching what I eat and working out.

I don't know what's different this time, but I actually FEEL better already, which usually doesn't happen to me.

Good luck! You can do this!
  • hotpickles
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I already feel more likely to stick with this! It's great to know I'm not the only one in this situation, and it's even better to hear how to overcome obstacles.

I think I expect results right away. I'm impatient like that. I know it sounds weird, but if I don't get results after a week or so, I'll want to quit. Next thing I know, four weeks have gone by, and I've done nothing. If I would have just stuck with it through those four weeks (which DO fly by quickly), I would be seeing major results!

L.
  • Pandemonium
    Options
    It sounds like the one thing that is different for you, is the support system! You have all of us here to help motivate and encourage.

And trust me, when I say, I was never active for my whole life. That has changed recently. I really hope to encourage others to go out and do it because I never realized how easy it can be if you just try.

I have been over-weight since puberty and have been getting heavier over the years until I was diagnosed with Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome, and since my father had his stroke due to complications with diabetes. This really shook me up because I am on that path unless I change it now. No more waiting, do it now before it gets worse, and before it is not reversible.

Everyone has something different to drive them for success.

What do you want to accomplish with this weight-loss? Knowing what you want out of it for reasons that are deep within your core, will help you succeed.
  • sallie46
    sallie46 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I need help sticking to the program on weekends! I love to eat, love to play tennis and do zumba (major sweatfest) but apparently I also love to party too much b/c I'm not really losing weight. Add in my middle-aged metabolism.... yikes. Maybe I should stockpile some calories during the week for the weekend counts like Weight Watchers does? Gee, maybe I should also JOURNAL what I eat on the weekends too! Anyone have a good strategy for having weekend fun and still losing weight?
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    I understand your situation. I am really ready to just start this and get into a better lifestyle and this site seems to be the place to get started. The best thing is getting support from people on the site that understand exactly what you are going through. Good luck!
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm quite new to MFP aswell but I'm loving it! My other half joined and was telling me about it and I figured that I wasn't going to let him have all the fun!
    I guess having my other half on here helps a little as we can chat about our progress and stuff but I think it really helps me to have other people for support - hope to find some really good friends here who can help encourage me!
    WE CAN DO IT!!! :D
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I need a good kick in the pants to get me on that treadmill! Because of my work schedule, the best time for me to workout is in the morning, but it's easy for me to make excuses "I'll sleep in today and work out later" "I can take today off, I worked out yesterday" UGGH! I really hate how lazy I am and how easy it is for me to just do nothing instead of working out. PLEASE! add me and help me to get on the treadmill, and I'll do the same for you :happy:
  • hotpickles
    Options
    That's a good question - what is it I want. Some of my reasons are strange, but they work for me, and I guess that's the main thing! The first thing is that this time, I just want to stick with it. I want to say I make exercise a vital part of my day. I've been on and off this wagon for probably 11 years now. I'd start, I'd quit. I'd start, I'd quit. I think I stuck with it one summer when I was around 21. I lost about 10 lb that summer. I just made myself work out every day I was in the city where I worked. No excuses. I've stuck with many things before and accomplished them, but exercise has always received the ol' "I'm too tired, I'm too lazy, I'll do it tomorrow, I'll start Monday because Monday is a good day, I'll start Thursday because I have something to do Wednesday". No more. I want to say I stuck with this and achieved my goals!

Another reason is I have a friend who can run. I would love to be like her, just get up and go run 5k. I'm slowly working on this, and proud to say I'm almost there. She can run distances a lot further than 5k, but I'll take small steps :)

I also think in a roundabout way adding exercise/healthy eating will balance my schedule out. I will admit, I have horrible time management skills. If I set aside time for exercise plus time to prepare my meals, I can streamline things a lot better, and get more accomplished!

The ironic thing is I feel 1,000,000,000 times better after I work out. So in the past, if I pushed myself to work out even if I felt as though I didn't want to, I was guaranteed to feel amazing after. So, I think I'll trade the bored/lazy/unmotivated feeling for the great feeling I get after working out :)

L.