jogging/running slimming thighs?

Options
ever since i have been working out my thighs and but seem to be bigger and my jeans aren't fitting. has jogging/runnning helped anyone slim their thighs and butt? or does anyone have any ideas? i feel like when i do weights it just makes them bigger.

im 18, femal, 5 foot 8, :)

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you start to do weights? What is your routine like?
  • taylorvonlehe
    Options

about 5 months ago. and its all different. some days ill do insanity, recently starting running again, sometimes arms, spin class. i workout every day though. i use to run and i lost a ton of weight but i was also only eating 500-800 calories so idk which is the reason i lost weight
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

about 5 months ago. and its all different. some days ill do insanity, recently starting running again, sometimes arms, spin class. i workout every day though. i use to run and i lost a ton of weight but i was also only eating 500-800 calories so idk which is the reason i lost weight

...both?
  • taylorvonlehe
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

...both?
    [/quote]

both what?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

How recently did you start running? When did you notice the size increase?

Do you weigh all your food with a digital scale?
  • taylorvonlehe
    Options
    i started back running about 2-3 weeks ago, and i do measure out my food not with an exact scale but with measuring cups. and i have just recently upped my calories to 1200 about a week and a half ago. but my jeans started fitting tighter about july-august.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    i started back running about 2-3 weeks ago, and i do measure out my food not with an exact scale but with measuring cups. and i have just recently upped my calories to 1200 about a week and a half ago. but my jeans started fitting tighter about july-august.

You have been logging inconsistently (and only since the end of August), but the days that you have logged average 607 calories. If you are getting bigger on that intake, and that intake is accurate, see a doctor.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

You have been logging inconsistently (and only since the end of August), but the days that you have logged average 607 calories. If you are getting bigger on that intake, and that intake is accurate, see a doctor.

^^^ This.
  • taylorvonlehe
    Options
    i had to quit logging because it made me very obbsseive and after i saw a certain number of calories i wouldn't eat anymore. maybe my body is just not use to me changing my diet all the time? going from 600 calories 2 weeks then randomly splurging and going back and forth all the time?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    How frequently do you binge and honestly, how many calories do you think you eat when you do?
  • taylorvonlehe
    Options
    well since i am in college, whenever my parents come here or i go home. so friday, and saturday about 3 weekends a month. and since i was eating 600 calories throughout the week i would eat about 1800-2000 when i binge and it would be bad things like mexican, waffles, chips, burgers, pizza, etc. but when i use to not worry about what i ate at all i had a great body then i just got obsessive and messed it all up and i want to go back to the old ways :(
  • taylorvonlehe
    Options
    should running help slim my thighs is my main question???
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    Running will not help slim your thighs.

All of these questions that have been asked, believe it or not, have been to get to the right answer for you.

So! You are eating too little, and you are eating erratically. 600 calories a day is crazypants, nowhere near enough food for you. You need nutrition.

Lifting weights may have given you the impression that you're bulking up because exercised muscle tissue retains some water (and gets a bit puffy) during the healing process. This would not be substantially different were your exercise running.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    well since i am in college, whenever my parents come here or i go home. so friday, and saturday about 3 weekends a month. and since i was eating 600 calories throughout the week i would eat about 1800-2000 when i binge and it would be bad things like mexican, waffles, chips, burgers, pizza, etc. but when i use to not worry about what i ate at all i had a great body then i just got obsessive and messed it all up and i want to go back to the old ways :(
    Ummm I wouldn't call 1800 a binge.
  • taylorvonlehe
    Options
    but ever since i did weights my pants stopped fitting. maybe its cause i started randomly binging and eating way more sweets. i just wish i had all the answers! :( HA
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    This just sounds so totally outrageous....I can't believe people actually eat this low and ask why they are not losing weight and/or they aren't losing fat.....EAT!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm not hearing/seeing anything even remotely close to accurate logging here. IMO the first step needs to be that - including the "3 weekends a month" of waffles and whatnot.

Even taking the eyeball figure of 2000 calorie binges, you're looking at (2000 * 6)/30 -> 400 calories/day on average. Add the usual eyeballing compensation factor and it's possible we're talking about a situation where the OP thinks they're eating 600 calories a day but are actually eating 1400-1500 calories/day, on average.

(All numbers approximate and meant to be illustrative, not definitive)
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    but ever since i did weights my pants stopped fitting. maybe its cause i started randomly binging and eating way more sweets. i just wish i had all the answers! :( HA

The problem is definitely not too much food.

The problem is that you're all over the map.

Shoot for more like 1850 calories a day. Every day. No extra credit for going under 1850. No extra credit for going over. Get plenty of protein. Normalize your sodium intake - - i.e. doesn't matter if it's high or low, just try to keep it consistent. Drink plenty of water. Follow a consistent exercise regimen which includes cardiovascular and resistance training.

Stop hurting your body and it will start responding.
  • AndyBloot
    Options
    Running will help you slim - generally speaking
    But you can't target a specific area for weight loss
    You will lose some weight from all over (unless you overeat of course)

Unfortunately, for women the first place to gain is thighs
    And it is the last place to lose

For guys it is the tummy, just above the belt

I'm no expert, but I do know that eating too few calories is not a good way to lose weight
    Big breakfast, medium lunch, small dinner and drink lots of water
    And exercise your willpower as much as your body by cutting down on the junk binging