Can I lose weight without exercising?

Options
I am currently unable to exercise but I am staying in range of calories. Is it still possible to lose weight?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Absolutely possible. Weight loss is through a calorie deficit alone.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Yep. Calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness.
  • oldfashchic
    oldfashchic Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! :)
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    This is so true, spent years trying to out exercise my bad eating habits!
  • jsreyno69
    jsreyno69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've lost alot of weight over the past year or so, and at first all I did was calorie deficit. Lost my forecasted 2 lbs / week during that time. Then, I felt myself getting weaker and felt like I was losing muscle mass, so I began to hit the gym five months in. But it's totally possible to do lose without exercising.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Reduce calories if you want to lose weight.
    Do cardio if you want to look good in your clothes.
    Lift weights if you want to look great naked.
  • emalinemartin
    emalinemartin Posts: 131 Member
    Options

This^^ lol
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    When you say "I'm staying within range of calories", what do you mean?
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50 pounds through diet change alone. When I began, I was not able to do a lot of exercise. But as I lost weight and started to feel better, I started exercising and gradually increased the amount I was able to do.
  • ProfessorCurlz
    Options
    90% of the journey is through food, so yes, you can do this!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    MFP's calorie goal is a weight loss deficit that doesn't take into account any exercise whatsoever...you eat the MfP's goal (provided you put all of your info in correctly) and you will lose weight. Weight loss is simply having a calorie deficit from a maintenance level of calories...it doesn't really matter how you create that deficit...a deficit is a deficit.

that said, once you are able I highly recommend regular exercise for your fitness and overall health and well being.
  • Najib54
    Options
    Yes it is possible but I would continue to exercise. It's a familiar story: You pledge to honor a daily elliptical routine and count every last calorie. But soon, you're eating cupcakes at the office and grabbing happy hour mojitos, thinking, Oops, diet over.

There is a better way: Swap the all-or-nothing approach for one or two healthy switch-ups in your daily routine. "Doing this can lead to more weight loss than you ever imagined," says Marissa Lippert, RD, author of The Cheater's Diet.

In fact, we talked to readers who knocked off 10, 25, even 60 pounds with some easy tweaks. Borrow their slim-down secrets to transform your body. You will find more detailed information to help you lose weight faster at http://bit.do/dvBu Good luck!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your situation is with not being able to work out. For all I know you are like my boyfriend's dad who has so many back issues that he isn't allowed to bend twist or lift, and walking can even be an iffy prospect. And yes totally agree with everyone about deficit is what it is all about. It is currently what I am trying to do because finals are coming up and the whole "making it to the gym thing" was stressing me out.

That said. Going for little walks is good for body and soul. I get depressed being in the same place all day, and if I don't go and DO something, I am tempted to eat, because I eat when I am bored. I'm in school, so a lot of my time is at a desk of one form or another.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    This is so true, spent years trying to out exercise my bad eating habits!

I still am. :(
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    On the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred workout she says that sitting punches are a good way to get your heart rate up and do a bit of cardio if you can't do much exercise. Don't know if that's of any use to you..
  • oldfashchic
    oldfashchic Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone but it looks like I can start exercising tomorrow again!! So I am ready to kick some butt!!
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    yep, did it. u can too:)
  • JasonAxelrod
    JasonAxelrod Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Incredibly possible. Exercise is very important for your health, though. Coming from a guy who is unbelievably impatient, has horrible impulse issues and an addiction to instant gratification, I have at least another 80-90 pounds to go, and while getting to the gym is really, really hard some mornings, I'm going to lose a ridiculous amount of muscle along with all of the fat if I don't keep myself active.
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Very nice Will remember lets do weighing first
  • bluecandy22
    bluecandy22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Especially if you eat healthier foods. Which if you are like me is hard to do unless it's sweet lol! But it can be done! I lost my first 30lbs buy changing the way I eat & no I'm not talking about salads either ;). (don't really like veggies)
    Good luck you can do it!!!