Forced to eat late at night...help??

Options
Maybe 3 or or 4 nights out of the week I am unable to eat an actual dinner until about 10:30 at night. on those days I work 4-9:30 at night and I used to go to wendy's and eat on the way home so I'd have more time to digest my food, but I'm tired of eating fast food. So instead of eating at 10pm, I now get to eat at 10:30. At work I get a 10 minute break and that gives me time to eat 2 granola bars. If I can't eat an actual dinner until late at night, what should I do? I've been having a can of progresso soup the past couple of nights, and it fills me up which is great but I go to sleep an hour later. I fear that this is bad for my health, but I'm really hungry when I get out of work.
Idk if this matters, but I'm a 21 year old female. I rarely get to eat lunch at home because of my schedule, and I see that as a problem, too.

Replies

• veronicacannon
    veronicacannon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What time you eat really doesn't matter as long as its a sensible meal. You can't really help what time you eat because of your work schedule.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Pre-cook meals for yourself.

It should be much healthier, better tasting, and cheaper.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Unless it causes you indigestion or problems sleeping, timing of your meals has little effect on weightloss.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Timing is irrelevant, so do not worry when you eat. I always eat a pretty sizeable snack about an hour before bed. ;) Not sure what your goals are but if it's weight loss, just eat at a deficit. We can't always eat on a structured schedule because of life.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat .. you are just fine.
  • mathemr06
    Options
    I am not an expert, I am just starting. However, I am also in the same boat, since I sometimes work until 10 + at night. I try to eat a salad or vegetable soup If I need to eat late.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Pre cook a big load of soup, curry, casserole etc and freeze individual servings. Them just chuck it in the microwave when you get home.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Unless it causes you indigestion or problems sleeping, timing of your meals has little effect on weightloss.
    Pretty much this. I work nights and eat at all kinds of weird hours and it hasn't affected my weight loss in any way.
  • lairyliam
    lairyliam Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Its been said above, but there are plenty of articles found on the inter web that show that it doesn't matter what time you eat, when i was doing insanity i was starting it at 11pm/12midnight, and then eating/drinking back the 6-800 calories i burned when i finished, going to bed around 2am.

Did me no harm at all.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I don't get my dinner until an hour before I'm going to bed due to work, gym, etc. It doesn't seem to make any difference to me.
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    I intentionally eat 1500 calories right before bed since I often cant finish off my calories/macros while bulking. Those 1500 calories came from carbs,fats and proteins in equal ratios.

Never bothered me. When i was cutting, the same thing helped me lose weight, and when bulking the same thing helped me gain weight.
    Timing is irrelevant..do what works for you and what hits your numbers at the end of the day.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It's not when you are eating, but what your eating. Even the grilled chicken sandwiches in those places are 1000+ calories. They manage to get a salad above 1000 calories. You have to learn the ingredients, and tell them what you don't want, like cheese, bacon, chow mein noodles, their salad dressing, etc.
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    What time you eat really doesn't matter as long as its a sensible meal. You can't really help what time you eat because of your work schedule.

This :)

It doesn't matter what time you're eating, so long as its sensible!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I would eat something more nutritious than granola bars though, even if it's just protein bars.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would eat something more nutritious than granola bars though, even if it's just protein bars.

Possibly take along a little cooler bag with a sandwich or some string cheese and fruit or something that can be eaten quickly and easily but has more nutritional value and then eat another nutritious snack when you get home.

It's calories in vs calories out that count not when you eat them.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I ate dinner at midnight last night.. (slow cooked pork chops with cornbread!.. mmmm i just logged it under dinner though)

woke up 2 pounds lighter..

Me: 1 Fat cells: 0

Rock on!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Its been said above, but there are plenty of articles found on the inter web that show that it doesn't matter what time you eat, when i was doing insanity i was starting it at 11pm/12midnight, and then eating/drinking back the 6-800 calories i burned when i finished, going to bed around 2am.

Did me no harm at all.
    Insanity at midnight??? That's insane!! (ha)

I'm debating to start that again.. but not at midnight. LOL
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Eating something right before bed revs your metabolism while you sleep and prevents you from waking up in starvation mode.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eating something right before bed revs your metabolism while you sleep and prevents you from waking up in starvation mode.
    No.

Get your total calories in, when you eat them makes no difference to your body. It needs X number of calories per day, and will utilize X number of calories per day. Doesn't matter whether you eat 1 meal or 100 meals.