Weight gain after first week

Options
okay so this week I was really good and stayed under my calories all but one day. And today on my weigh in I managed to put on .6 kg. I know it's not heaps, but it's a gain and not a loss like I was hoping:(

Does anyone know how quickly muscle mass is supposed to develop? My mum reckons it's muscle weight, but I've only amped up the exercise in the last two weeks:-/

Suggestions anyone? Please feel free to look at my diary

Replies

• Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    don't be discouraged by the scale. There are many factors that can cause your scale to show a gain when you have been doing good. One of the most common is water weight. If this keeps up (and your size isn't dropping either) then you may need to take a closer look at your diet and exercise and start making tweaks to it.
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I gained my first week too. I don't think it was muscle for me, but the fact that my body wasn't used to its calories being regulated, and having so many fewer of them than before, so it stored extra calories. Plus, the water weight/lactic acid might have played a part.

Don't get discouraged! :)
  • runner915
    runner915 Posts: 106
    Options
    Don't give up! My weight fluctuates a lot just throughout the day depending on what I ate. If you had something that had a lot of sodium in it like some frozen meals do you and soups, your body might have just been retaining a lot of water. But keep at it! I bet this week will be an awesome week for you!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard/read, you can't typically put on muscle weight that quickly, especially since you're not trying to put on muscle. It's probably water weight. Are you watching your sodium? If I'm not strict with my sodium (1000-1500mg/day most days), I put on water weight very quickly. Thankfully, if it is just water weight, it comes off quickly once I get the sodium back under control.
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and, although I'm not a doctor - I noticed you ate Chinese food. It's loaded with salt. You are probably retaining water. It will even out next week (but don't have any Chinese food until after you weigh in...
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    I wish people would CALM DOWN about gaining such ridiculously, insignficant amounts of weight!!! JEEZ!!! If you really want to be successful, you need to realize that this is a life long journey. Just try to live as healthy as you possibly can (eating and exercising). In the long run, daily and even weekly weight changes are not going to mean much.
  • dodoodoodo
    dodoodoodo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i was super bummed when i dieted and exercised super hard the first week and was expecting big results and saw no weight loss at all, but ever since it has slowly come off... so just give it some time and you will see the results too!! :)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    okay so this week I was really good and stayed under my calories all but one day. And today on my weigh in I managed to put on .6 kg. I know it's not heaps, but it's a gain and not a loss like I was hoping:(

Does anyone know how quickly muscle mass is supposed to develop? My mum reckons it's muscle weight, but I've only amped up the exercise in the last two weeks:-/

Suggestions anyone? Please feel free to look at my diary

Cut down on your dairy stuff, eat more veg and make sure you get your fruit in each day. Protein on MFP is set low, if you are doing exercise, you need protein for repairs to muscles. If you can try not to fry stuff but grill it instead, that will take out your oil and fat for frying. Try that for a couple of weeks.

You need sodium, but don't go over 2,500mg per day, it can make you retain fluid.