Most bizarre/odd advice given?

Options
Today I wAs so kindly advised by a coworker that I should stop having my carrots as a snack because "they're high in calories and you should stick to celery instead". Anybody else have ridiculous advise they've received either solicited or (unsolicited in my case) during their weight loss/ lifestyle change experiences?

Replies

• thom2369
    thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hahha carrots are to high. Weird. I had someone say that I can only lose weight running. That running will make my legs small and walking with make my legs big. Hmm....
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    That I shouldn't eat cucumbers at night because "they will sit heavy in my stomach"...that I should not eat mangos or bananas, or rice, or tortillas... that I should take up smoking.... !!! That I should watch tv because then I would be 'inspired' to lose weight after watching all the beautiful people on tv...that I should buy clothes one size too small to 'motivate me'. I'm sure I could think of some more if I had more time...
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,266 Member
    Options
    Pregnant and VERY depressed with my 3rd child and my OB told me not to eat strawberries because I'd "get fat"... I dumped her like a truckload of manure... Sheesh.

~Curly
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    I was told to take diet pills in order to get ready for the air force. When i went to go speak with him again, he had been dishonorably discharged. Go figure :P
  • thom2369
    thom2369 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I was told to take diet pills in order to get ready for the air force. When i went to go speak with him again, he had been dishonorably discharged. Go figure :P
    Hah wow...
  • noctilumina
    noctilumina Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That I shouldn't eat cucumbers at night because "they will sit heavy in my stomach"...that I should not eat mangos or bananas, or rice, or tortillas... that I should take up smoking.... !!! That I should watch tv because then I would be 'inspired' to lose weight after watching all the beautiful people on tv...that I should buy clothes one size too small to 'motivate me'. I'm sure I could think of some more if I had more time...

Smoking and watching lots of tv are definitely big steps on the road to fitness and wellbeing… :tongue:
  • _KrisMarie_
    Options
    I had several people tell me HCG shots and 500 calories a day are great ideas.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I was told that the only way to lose arm jiggle is to tone my arms, and that doing cardio won't help it at all. Apparently, I can spot reduce.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    A dietician suggested I eat cornflakes for breakfast...
  • melbee25
    melbee25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yesterday someone told me about a breathing technique to lose weight.
  • lovemuffin6
    Options
    Smoking is actually linked to weight loss, it changes the way your body stores fat. It's why a lot of people who quit will put on weight (as well as the whole eating more through boredom thing).
  • marcimlarson
    Options
    yeah, i've heard people avoid eating fruit cuz its high in sugar, and avoid eating bananas cuz they are a starch, and avoid eating avocados cuz of the fat. The whole time they are eating fast food and diet soda.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Today I wAs so kindly advised by a coworker that I should stop having my carrots as a snack because "they're high in calories and you should stick to celery instead". Anybody else have ridiculous advise they've received either solicited or (unsolicited in my case) during their weight loss/ lifestyle change experiences?

hahaha i also have been told not to eat carrotts as they are too starchy. Also was told not to go to spin class as it is rubbish for helping to lose weight and will just make my legs fatter. Also got told that an apple by itself is fattening, but an apple with nuts is not. I could go on...
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Today I wAs so kindly advised by a coworker that I should stop having my carrots as a snack because "they're high in calories and you should stick to celery instead".

:laugh:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Never start a land war in Asia
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law (obese, diabetes, high blood pressure): "I can't have eggs, they have too much cholesterol" as she is helping herself to her 2nd sausage and 4th rasher of bacon ...
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    "You have to be hungry to lose weight" is the most common one I'm told.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I have a running commentary on my wall of things my colleague has been saying to me of late:

Don't EVER eat bread, it's bad for you.

That protein bar is going to go straight to your hips.

You shouldn't eat beef jerky because it's not a 'girly' snack.

There's been a lot more, but I'm struggling to think.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Stupid is as Stupid does. Don't get stuck on Stupid.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Stupid is as Stupid does. Don't get stuck on Stupid.

This. Did you know there's a lot of calories in stupid and you shouldn't eat it?