fat obese and pregnant

Options
2»

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    thank yall...so do you guys think i should count calories.. i wasent before but for the past two days i have .. im not a good eye baller when it comes to food i know i suppose to eat healthy and stuff but me i can eat alot... and whole bunch of healthy foods turn into a whole heap of calories when im done.. smh

If you are going to watch your calories, get a scale and measure EVERYTHING and log EVERYTHING. It's a transition but a good one for the health of you and your baby.

i guess i should have mention i lost 50lbs and was in the middle of weight loss when in got preggo so i do have a scale to weigh food and stuff.. im a long time member yesterday was my 1 year anniversary. i guess ill just do trail and error and hope for the best

LOL who knew that weight loss was such a fertility pill. I was pregnant at my 50lbs loss and then again at 70lb loss!

lol totally doctors told me i would have a hard time getting pregnant saying it probably want happening basically leaving me heart broken i lost some weight then bam... my miracle baby.. so that doctor can shove it no offense. lmbo

awe I'm so happy to hear...gives me chills I know the feeling when you think something will never happen and it does. Blessings to your little one.
  • incredibleshrinkingjackie
    Options
    you actually don't have to gain weight while pregnant. you already have enough fat to live off of. focus on eating lean meat like chicken and pork and eat as many vegetable as you like. try to eat fruit rather than fruit juice. cut out as much potatoes, rice, bread and pasta as you can. only eat things that have nutritional value. if it's junk, don't eat it. focus on getting at least 8 glasses of water a day, cut out all soda pop and kool-aid. only eat sweets in very limited quantity. eat salads with every lunch and dinner. eat eggs and cheese and natural peanut butter as protein. buy sugar-free jam and syrup if you must eat these things. change to light yogurt and fat-free milk to keep up your calcium needs.

these are actually the exact things i learned from having a sleeve gastrectomy in june. talk to a nutritionist. she will tell you the exact things i just said. good luck and congrats on the baby.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Seriously, ignore every person here who is giving you weight loss advise that was given to them after a weight loss surgery. Nutrition needs for these people are INCREDIBLY different than the needs of a pregnant woman. I don't know why grains are being painted as the devil, but they are fortified with folic acid -- which is critical to a health pregnancy. Yes, you can get this in vitamin form and you don't HAVE to get it via enriched foods, however, if you like pasta or rice, you are not harming yourself and getting extra folic acid.

A woman who is not overweight needs about 300 extra calories a day when pregnant. An overweight and morbidly obese woman needs no extra calories, unless advised by a doctor that she needs to gain. What this means is, you aim to eat 2,000 calories (or whatever your maintenance number is). You should eat a varied diet - focusing on vegetable because they are nutrient rich.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    ^you're past the point when folic acid matters at all to your pregnancy, but I agree that whole grains and potatoes are healthy and should make a frequent appearance in your intake.

I used to provide nutritional counseling to pregnant women (as a job, I mean). I'd encourage you to set your MFP goals to maintenance and focus as much as you can on fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains. I'd eliminate calorie-dense items like oil, fried foods, salty snacks and any fast food. In my experience, those seem to be the foods most commonly craved during pregnancy and are typically the reason women gain too much weight too quickly.
  • FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was overweight when I was pregnant with my son. My doctor gave me the guideline diet for gestational diabetes. There are so many FILLING low calorie, nutrient rich foods. And many snacks that you can use as a substitute for crackers, chips, sweets etc. If your doctors attitude was really that bad, I would change the doctor now before you get any farther along in your pregnancy. Find a doctor that is more personable or that is more willing to work with you. And ask them about the guidelines.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    ^you're past the point when folic acid matters at all to your pregnancy, but I agree that whole grains and potatoes are healthy and should make a frequent appearance in your intake.

Actually, it prevents birth defects like spina bifida if taken in early pregnancy -- usually before women even know they are pregnant, but is actually prescribed to women in mid to late pregnancy and while they are nursing in higher doses (500-600 mcg) than their counterparts who are trying to get pregnant and those who are in early pregnancy (400 mcg). This is done for a number of reasons including placenta health, proper over all fetal health/development, heart health of mom, and preventing premature birth. At no point in pregnancy or really life, but that is a different post, are you are past the point where folic acid matters. Not taking taking in at least 400 mcg per day opens you up to a host of medical maladies.

This information is straight out of the mouth of my OB/GYN, but if you want another source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3218540/
  • Sugarhiccup03
    Sugarhiccup03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Seriously, ignore every person here who is giving you weight loss advise that was given to them after a weight loss surgery. Nutrition needs for these people are INCREDIBLY different than the needs of a pregnant woman. I don't know why grains are being painted as the devil, but they are fortified with folic acid -- which is critical to a health pregnancy. Yes, you can get this in vitamin form and you don't HAVE to get it via enriched foods, however, if you like pasta or rice, you are not harming yourself and getting extra folic acid.

A woman who is not overweight needs about 300 extra calories a day when pregnant. An overweight and morbidly obese woman needs no extra calories, unless advised by a doctor that she needs to gain. What this means is, you aim to eat 2,000 calories (or whatever your maintenance number is). You should eat a varied diet - focusing on vegetable because they are nutrient rich.

This. Just eat a healthy diet, drink plenty of water and take walks. I did this and only gained 17 lbs while pregnant with my daughter and she was a very healthy 7.7 lb baby. I just noticed you're on my friends list also :). If you ever need advice let me know!
  • fashionosack
    Options
    Hello! Diet must be healthy to lose weight, to exercise with diet. Exercise every day twelve hours or so, hyperactivity move, eat do not eat too full, not dieting, eat eat eight full. You can eat much food. After dinner do not sit, stand or walk for half an hour. Do not eat greasy spicy foods, eat more fruits and vegetables, eat light food. We must ensure that the daily nutritional intake.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm also obese and pregnant (30 weeks), and it gets so much harder as you progress further along in your pregnancy. Your goal from now until you deliver should be to maintain your current weight. First, your doctor HAS to give you a referral to a dietitian. That way you'll know how to make smart choices that grow a healthy baby. Walk if you can slow steady pace every day for at least 15-30minutes. Cut out all sugared drinks including soda, juice, powerades, monster drinks ect anythying that has calorie. (I struggle with this) Consider the gestational diabetic diet (I know you may not have it now), but it will help with the portion control.

You got some crummy advice from the doctor who probably doesnt know alot about pregnancy and nutrition. Get further education. You can do it! And congratulations!

YES, I agree with this - SEE a dietician. Doctors get, on average, 4 hours or less of classes on nutrition in their 8 years of medical school, and they often quote dietary advice that is decades out of date - please get a referral to a dietician, for your baby.
  • kellybellyjellyn
    Options
    I started weight watchers in Jan 2009 and went from 224 to 194 by April. That week in April was the week I had discovered I was pregnant.. 16 weeks pregnant and I never knew !! So I had actually lost 30lb in the first 4 months of my pregnancy. As soon as I discoved I was pregnant I quit weightwatchers and by the time I was due my baby in September I weighed 266lbs..

So I gained over 70lbs in 5 months... all the weight I had lost plus 40 more. And it's not fun ! I went on to have a perfectly healthy 10lb baby but let me tell you the labour was a nightmare.

I am training to be a midwife, I have one year left of a 4 year degree before i'm finished and I've seen firsthand hand how tough it is to be extrememly overweight, in both pregnancy and especially in labour..

Not giving you qualified medical advice here whatsoever but I would recommend what others are saying about eating at about 2000 calories a day. In actually fact a pregnant woman does not need that many extra calories.. roughly 200.. Which isn't very much.

So even if you eat at around 2000, because you have a high bmi your daily calorie needs are about 2325 to maintain.. that's with a sedentary lifestyle. Add on the 200 for pregnancy to take you to 2500

If you ate at 2000 that would be a healthy deficit of 500 calories a day but you will also be perfectly healthy and fine once you eat a well balanced, nutrient rich diet.

May I also recommend taking up a pregnancy yoga class. Not only will this do wonders for you exercise wise but I think every pregnant woman should do yoga !!!!! It is amazing the difference it makes in women during childbirth.

Women who have done pregnancy yoga do great during childbirth I think it's such an amazing thing you can do for yourself and there are many teachers qualified in yoga specific to pregnancy.

Another exercise I recommend would be to go to the pool. Dont need to do vigorous swimming, just move around ! The water will take the weight of your expanding tummy and make you feel more comfortable.

Please please don't do what I did and use pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever, gain a tonne of weight and sit on the couch all day.. It's really terrible and If I knew then what I did now I wish I had done it differently and I still weighed 266 2 years after giving birth.. did not lose the weight. xx CONGRATULATIONS !!!
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hie, if you want advice on how to eat healthily in pregnancy this site might assist you....good luck for a healthy pregnancy, labour, delivery....and of course beautiful baby:smile:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/healthy-pregnancy-diet.aspx
  • Boofuls
    Boofuls Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am trying to get pregnant at the moment, hopefully the weight loss I have achieved so far will help.

Lots of good advice on here, I would say listen to your body and don't worry if you do lose a bit of weight. You have plenty of reserves and the baby will take what it needs.
  • coolaid739
    Options
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Hello! Diet must be healthy to lose weight, to exercise with diet. Exercise every day twelve hours or so, hyperactivity move, eat do not eat too full, not dieting, eat eat eight full. You can eat much food. After dinner do not sit, stand or walk for half an hour. Do not eat greasy spicy foods, eat more fruits and vegetables, eat light food. We must ensure that the daily nutritional intake.

Wha??? What does this even say, or mean?

OP, I thought about you all night. I was 200 pounds when I got pregnant with my son and gained almost 80 pounds before I gave birth. You really, REALLY, don't want to do the same thing as me! I fell into the mindset that I was pregnant so I could eat what I want! I was horribly miserable by the end of my pregnancy. I was lucky that I had a very healthy, happy baby boy, but I could have easily damaged his health.

I mentioned it earlier, but see if you can get an appointment with registered dietitian or nutritionist to find out exactly how many calories you should be consuming each day. After figuring out how many calories you should be eating each day, track, track, track! Focus on whole grains, fruits, veggies, lean protein and healthy fats (and YES, you DO need some healthy fat in your diet!!!). Stay away from fast food, processed food (because it is calorie dense and doesn't give you much nutritional value), juice (too sugary and calorie dense) and soda pop (for obvious reasons).

Then exercise! Every day! Exercise doesn't mean going to the gym either. It means taking the stairs at work, parking farther from the door at the grocery store, taking a walk at lunch time. Just get some movement in! The more you move, the better you will feel, the happier the baby will be and the easier your pregnancy will go and the easier you'll be able to bounce back after delivery. Seriously EXERCISE! :-)

Again, good luck to you! Congratulations on your soon to come little one.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Learn the basics of a healthy eating.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant when I was 265 (I'm 5'7"). I gained 22 lbs without eating extra or exercising less (in fact, when I was 37 weeks pregnant, I went on a 10km hike, and rode my bike to my midwife's appointment until I was 40 weeks pregnant). Dont try to lose weight or TRY not to gain weight. Eat normal servings of healthy food, drink a lot of water, get as much sleep as you can/want, and get a good amount of light exercise every day. Your focus should be on healthy habits and taking care of yourself in the pregnancy, not being fixated on the number on the scale.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    What on earth, Fashionsack? You've never been pregnant have you? 12 hours a day workouts is pretty much impossible for non-pregnant people, much less someone who is undergoing the stresses and pain of pregnancy.
    OP I had lost around 20 pounds and was about 175 lbs when I became pregnant with my son. I couldn't stand the sights and smells of many foods the first trimester, horrible sickness. Halfway through the pregnancy I had actually lost a couple pounds, but was able to eat mild and smooth foods and get my nutrition. I stayed with my comfortable activity level. Had a couple blood tests throughout the pregnancy to make sure I was OK nutrition wise. At the end of pregnancy I suddenly regained my previous weight and was almost 200 pounds. Blah! But it definitely wasn't fat, I had a 9 lb 13 oz baby, with all that liquid!

If you are eating at maintenance, your body will likely use some of the food to fuel and build the baby, while your fat stores will shrink a bit to keep you going. You will probably gain some (mostly fluid) at the end of pregnancy, but if you are eating healthy, walking/swimming (or otherwise doing low impact exercise) you'll probably be fine, and be able to continue your journey post-pregnancy with your practiced healthy habits.

Good luck to you!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    1. Eat an appropriate (maintenance) amount of calories for your size and condition. Eat a balanced diet, don't cut out food groups. Exercise lightly, walking and not much else.
    2. Finish being preggers.
    3. Breast feed for 6 months still eating an appropriate number of calories.
    4. Start exercising, hard. Do a TDEE -30% deficit.
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I was 207# when I got pregnant with my now 2yo. I was determined to have a good and healthy pregnancy and wound up gaining 13#. After the baby, placenta and etc left I was 200# Unfortunately I gained 20# postpartum but hey, I'm here now so it's all good :) I had very little swelling, great blood pressure, good blood sugars and had an 8# baby at 37 weeks.

I did not count calories, didn't know about mfp at the time. What I did was make a conscious effort to increase my protein and fluid intake, and pack myself healthy portion controlled snacks so I could snack throughout the day and never get ravenously hungry. I also did a lot of walking. Walking everywhere I could and doing hikes on the weekends. Prenatal yoga once a week for flexibility. Stay physically active (or become physically active!) it will make all the difference in what kind of pregnancy and delivery you have. I firmly believe that.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm a third year medical student and I have worked with my attending physician saying the same thing as above about not eating carbs, etc. To be honest the only reason why they do so is to prevent spending a bunch of time explaining to a patient how weight loss works (calories in calories out) teaching them how to count calories and measure their food. Believe me or not, I have worked with many patients in the past months and talking about nutrition takes a very very long time. You would assume that most people would understand just saying "calories in calories out" but they just don't. So to simplify things doctors would just say stay away from soda, white bread, pasta, fast food, etc. because most patients understand that way easier. I guess you can say that a good doctor would be willing to spend a significant portion of their time talking about nutrition. But the truth is, we don't get paid to teach preventative health or at least very little and if a doctor works for a hospital, they cram our schedule with a bunch of patients that we are only allowed 15 mins max to see or else we will be there the whole day. I think its better to talk to a nutritionist about weight than a doctor.

As for a medical advice, you don't need to gain weight if you are already obese during pregnancy. They do recommend up to 15 lbs of weight gain but some patients lose weight while pregnant and that's ok as long as the baby is growing normally per physical exam and ultrasound reports. Being obese and gaining excessive amounts of weight is much more harmful for your baby than not gaining weight when you are already have excess body fat. A good way to do this is to eat at maintenance and get in some exercise to prevent any more weight gain.