Choose Wisely - Which of These Is The Best Breakdown

Options
I have recently started weight/strength training and am wondering if i need to alter my macros

I have worked out several 'menus' i could chose from, and without saying what they involve, which of the following percentage breakdowns of the macros do you think is optimal?
(note that yes, fibre is a type of carb, but i separated it anyways)

Option 1:
Carb: 56%
Fat: 21%
Protein: 14%
Fibre: 9%

Option 2:
Carb: 51%
Fat: 24%
Protein: 16%
Fibre: 9%

Option 3:
Carb: 28%
Fat: 40%
Protein: 28%
Fibre: 4%

If you strongly feel that all are wrong, feel free to suggest another breakdown, but, long story short, i have very few food options, hence the 'menus' i have made above

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly, I think they all lack protein... I'm also not a fan of percentages...

That being said, I;d go with option three if I had to choose one of those three

Whats the actual breakdown ins grams? Your weight? your daily calories?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If I had to choose percentages, I would go 40/30/30 C/F/P.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I agree with astronomicals on all counts. Not enough protein to support muscle growth for weight training.
    I like this calculator: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
  • tiddlebit11
    Options
    I agree with the protein thing, the main problem with my diet (and i fully understand i am an isolated case, so please others reading this do not take it as general advice) is that the foods available to me a very limited due to both congenital health issues and acquired ones due to damage both from illness and from chemotherapies received over my lifetime.

Thus, many food sources that provide optimal nutrients are out of reach for me. Which doesnt worry me in general, i have lived with this for a long time so im used to it - its just part of life now - but im trying to work out the best option available out of what i have

Kind of like when you get a multiple choice question on an exam and you need the MOST correct answer, even if its not the bext answer you could provide for the question :)
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I read somewhere to forget about macros and just eat at least your LBM in protein (1g per lb of LBM), and let the rest fall into place. Useful for someone like me who often eats 2500+ and isn't a big fan of cheese/dairy/most meat. I can aim to get to about 120g per day and let it rest (I weigh 155-160, not sure what my LBM is but I am quite muscular). On days when I've tried to eat my set macros 40C/25P/30F I've struggled.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    PS when I could get hold of them, edamame beans were a lifesaver. Dunno if they fit with your digestive issues. I also rely on chicken, peanut butter and (sometimes) fish.
    Hope that helps.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Ah! Completely understood! in that case, eat as well as you can and lift hard!
    Out of curiosity, are whey and casein protein off limits? I've got tons of good recipes for those!
  • tiddlebit11
    Options
    Im vegan, so i cant drink whey and casein. I can have pea protein, but soy protein upsets my stomach and some of my meds
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    waaaaa you can't have edamame either Tiddles?

This is a total long shot, but is there a possibility you could try to incorporate some eggs if they were locally grown and 110% cruelty free? I am not sure if it's diaetary or not for you to avoid them, but just a suggestion. I know in Melbs there are many hippy places (like Ceres?) so I am sure you could find some nice ones! Or get chickens yourself?
  • tiddlebit11
    Options
    Funnily enough we actually have our own chickens and my housemates eat their eggs as we know they are well cared for and loved :)
    I still mentally, though, cannot bring myself to do it. I have nothing wrong with other vegans (or anyone in general) taking this option, but theres something in me that i just cant overcome to do it

But tis a great suggestion, so thanks Jess. My main source of protein at the moment is from plain tofu (and even that i struggle with but it was that or nothing) the only down side of that being that it contains fat (albeit good fats) so an increase in protein for me generally means an increase in fat
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm using 35 Carb, 35 Protein, 30 Fat. And try to use as much fibre as possible within those carbs - eg fruits and cripsbreads/wholewheat breads.

This ratio does seem to require protein drinks though.......as my net target is 1750 and that doesn't seem to allow for sufficient meat/fish.

I'd tried a higher level of fat ( 40% ) and it did seem to result in more weight loss but it didn't really agree with my constitution so these ratios seem to be the best balance for me.

I also run 2-3 times a week and burn upwards of 800 cals each time so I tend to be less worried about carb ratio on those days.....
  • JessHealthKick
    Options
    I'm using 35 Carb, 35 Protein, 30 Fat. And try to use as much fibre as possible within those carbs - eg fruits and cripsbreads/wholewheat breads.

This ratio does seem to require protein drinks though.......as my net target is 1750 and that doesn't seem to allow for sufficient meat/fish.

I'd tried a higher level of fat ( 40% ) and it did seem to result in more weight loss but it didn't really agree with my constitution so these ratios seem to be the best balance for me.

I also run 2-3 times a week and burn upwards of 800 cals each time so I tend to be less worried about carb ratio on those days.....

you haven't discovered tinned tuna or chicken breast or egg whites yet, have you? ;)
  • JessHealthKick
    Options
    Funnily enough we actually have our own chickens and my housemates eat their eggs as we know they are well cared for and loved :)
    I still mentally, though, cannot bring myself to do it. I have nothing wrong with other vegans (or anyone in general) taking this option, but theres something in me that i just cant overcome to do it

But tis a great suggestion, so thanks Jess. My main source of protein at the moment is from plain tofu (and even that i struggle with but it was that or nothing) the only down side of that being that it contains fat (albeit good fats) so an increase in protein for me generally means an increase in fat

oh your housemates sound great! That's OK, we all have our 'things' like that. Increasing fat isn't such a bad thing though, is it? Especially since you're lifting and trying to GAIN, you will need more calories!