General Advice Please

Options
Hi everyone,

I hope this topic doesn't annoy everyone as these questions have been asked but the advice given is all over the place and some is confusing. I also need a little direction too.

About me: I've lost a stone to cleansing my diet and daily exercise.

I have a few questions:
1) Is weight loss based strictly on calorie deficit over an extended period of time? So as long as you have a deficit, you will be losing weight?

2) How do you suggest getting rid of belly fat? I've heard many responses saying you can't spot reduce, need to keep up with cardio and daily exercise, it will come off from there when it does depending on genetics..

I need a little direction as this is what I have been doing for the last 3 weeks now:
1) Cleansed my diet - stopped eating crisps, mayonaise, cut down on drinks (sodas, juices), the only snack I have is chocolate and that's maybe once a week.

2) I've started to have healthy lunches - chicken breast fillets, roast potatoes (3-4), vegetables...etc.

3) I walk a lot at University and to Town which I do include in my food diary. I also do 30 minutes of cardio (low impact & high impact cardio - kickboxing) 3-4 times per week.

Again sorry if this topic annoys anyone, I really want the facts and strategies that helped people get where they wanted to be. I'm not concerned with the length of time as I don't believe in a 'diet' but I would like to be on the right tracks.

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    1) Yes.
    2) You can't spot reduce. The only way is by losing weight. Your belly will most likely be the last thing to go.
  • Jkn922
    Jkn922 Posts: 74
    Options
    1) Yes.
    2) You can't spot reduce. The only way is by losing weight. Your belly will most likely be the last thing to go.

Thank you

I've had to ask because half of the people say 'toning abs' and 'ab exercises' which is confusing as I don't know what to do but this cleared it up for me, thanks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you eat. What matters is how much you eat.
  • Sihaya8
    Sihaya8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are off to a really good start! :) Fish is good as well if raw or boiled and the only thing I can think is just try and walk as much as you can, to the shops, stairs, as much as you can.

All the best!!!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

That's a whole different topic!
  • stt43
    Options
    1) Yes.

Thank you

I've had to ask because half of the people say 'toning abs' and 'ab exercises' which is confusing as I don't know what to do but this cleared it up for me, thanks.

There isn't really such a thing as 'toning' muscle. You can either make a muscle bigger or smaller, that's about it. Ab exercises strengthen your abdominal muscles and make them larger. This makes them more visible when your body fat is low enough, giving a more 'toned' appearance.
  • Jkn922
    Options

I thought it was quite important to eat healthy to lose weight? I thought that was a big part of it. Things like this confuse me from what I've been told before...
    It sounds like you are off to a really good start! :) Fish is good as well if raw or boiled and the only thing I can think is just try and walk as much as you can, to the shops, stairs, as much as you can.

All the best!!!

Thank you so much, yup I always walk as much as I can and stopped taking lifts. I've also had fish in my diet too, need to buy some more whenever I go shopping.
  • Jkn922
    Options
    1) Yes.

Thank you

There isn't really such a thing as 'toning' muscle. You can either make a muscle bigger or smaller, that's about it. Ab exercises strengthen your abdominal muscles and make them larger. This makes them more visible when your body fat is low enough, giving a more 'toned' appearance.

I'm not interested in abs per se, I'm more concerned with the health risks of having belly fat which is my main reason I want to cut it down. Luckily it's not massive but it isn't nice either. So to cut it down, keep doing what I'm doing right?
  • dgray143
    dgray143 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had many of the same questions as you! So I did a little searching on the internet and found the website below.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/fat-loss

Now do I follow it to the T? No lol but I can say I follow about 90% of what it says.

But I think this is a great article to read to start your plan. Just be ready to take some time out to meal plan and set up your workout schedule! I use Nike Training Club app for workouts.

Monday - Total-Body strength training with Ab Emphasis
    Tuesday - Light Cardio
    Wednesday - Total-Body strength training with Ab Emphasis
    Thursday - Light Cardio
    Friday - Total-Body strength training with Leg Emphasis
    Saturday - Total-Body strength training with Ab Emphasis
    Sunday - Rest

I know you didn't ask for all this info but I felt like it could help :) Hopefully it did!
  • Jkn922
    Options
    Thanks, looked interesting!
  • stt43
    Options
    Yes, as long as you stay in a caloric deficit and you will lose body fat.
    It doesn't matter, therefore, if these calories come from 'healthy' food or not if you are only looking to lose weight, as long as you are in a deficit. However, it is recommended that you eat as healthily as you can to make sure your body gets all the nutrients it needs, and to help you eat more with the calories you have, making you fuller, have more energy, and be less likely to cheat on your diet.
    Which foods are considered 'healthy' or not could be argued though.
  • Jkn922
    Options
    Yes, as long as you stay in a caloric deficit and you will lose body fat.
    It doesn't matter, therefore, if these calories come from 'healthy' food or not if you are only looking to lose weight, as long as you are in a deficit. However, it is recommended that you eat as healthily as you can to make sure your body gets all the nutrients it needs, and to help you eat more with the calories you have, making you fuller, have more energy, and be less likely to cheat on your diet.
    Which foods are considered 'healthy' or not could be argued though.

Thank you so much, this really gave me what I was looking for. Seems like I'm on the right track then.
  • Jkn922
    Options
    Another question:

Is doing low & high impact cardio (combined) ok to do for 3 days per week?

I'm a student so sometimes I'm a bit rushed for time as I do have to focus on other things (like everyone else). I do quite a bit of walking aswell during the week. I have been able to dedicate atleast 3 days a week for the past 3 weeks for cardio. I have probably less than 10lbs to lose to reach my ideal weight goal (no idea what my weight is now).