Weight won't seem to drop

Options
I started about 2 months ago and set up my MFP to lose 2 lbs per week. When I started I was on track and the weight was coming off. For the first month I was loosing an average of 2 lbs per week (1 week I lost 3 lbs and 1 week I lost 1 lb, the other 2 weeks I lost 2 lbs).

For the second month the weight just doesn't seem to come off, I've lost 1 lb since then and my weight has been the same for weeks now, it just won't drop and it's frustrating!

I'm getting hungrier aswell now, mainly in the evenings which is making it even harder.

I'm just wondering why I can't seem to drop any more weight if anyone has any ideas?

Also is there anything I can do to combat the hunger in the evenings.

Thanks.

Replies

• thatdude3
    Options
    Are you logging everything that you consume? Watch the serving size, you may be consuming more calories than you think you are. Do you have an exercise routine? Just don't give up and stick with it. I have gone through periods where I only lose 2 pounds in a month, just keep logging.
  • Sihaya8
    Sihaya8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Get out and exercise in the evenings! It's sometimes the only thing that stops me driving to sainsburys to buy Pringles!! But it will make you feel so good about yourself, just a 30 minute walk and maybe build up to an hour. I drag my husband out for 2 hour walks if I feel my resolve is slipping and it works so well even if he's not a fan lol! obviously just be careful if it's dark though, a lot of nasty people out there so be safe :)

Stick with the diet, measure everything as exactly as you can. I've been on a strict diet for 6 weeks and lost nothing at all which is horrible but the doctor has now sent me for tests as she knows I have stuck to it. Even if it's only so you know you have been true to the diet it's not worth wasting all your hard work on a 'pig out session' as my hubby calls it, as you will only feel sad after.
    Also be careful with tea, coffee and alcohol. Hidden calories!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I started about 2 months ago and set up my MFP to lose 2 lbs per week. When I started I was on track and the weight was coming off. For the first month I was loosing an average of 2 lbs per week (1 week I lost 3 lbs and 1 week I lost 1 lb, the other 2 weeks I lost 2 lbs).

For the second month the weight just doesn't seem to come off, I've lost 1 lb since then and my weight has been the same for weeks now, it just won't drop and it's frustrating!

I'm getting hungrier aswell now, mainly in the evenings which is making it even harder.

I'm just wondering why I can't seem to drop any more weight if anyone has any ideas?

Also is there anything I can do to combat the hunger in the evenings.

Thanks.

Eat more protein and fats to keep you fuller. A jacket potato and beans wont keep you full as a jacket potato (or sweet potato) with some chicken or fish and some avocado or something.Looking at your diary your meals dont seem to be very filling (a sandwich or some chicken and noodles). Try bulking meals with veggies and chickpeas and other pulses :) Have some rice. Just generally eat a bit more, as it seems youre exercising quite a bit.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Eat more protein and fats to keep you fuller. A jacket potato and beans wont keep you full as a jacket potato (or sweet potato) with some chicken or fish and some avocado or something.Looking at your diary your meals dont seem to be very filling (a sandwich or some chicken and noodles). Try bulking meals with veggies and chickpeas and other pulses :) Have some rice. Just generally eat a bit more, as it seems youre exercising quite a bit.

As an alternative perspective, I have lost 130 pounds in 8 months by following a plant-based diet that is somewhat lower in fat and protein and much higher in carbohydrates. I avoid highly processed junk foods like white bread and white rice, always opting for the whole grains when I can.
  • michaelholmes99999
    Options
    I've been at it 8 months now and have been logging my daily weight in Excel. I've found that even if the trend is down, my daily weight varies between two Pounds either side of my trend weight. This degree of variation means that daily weight can seem to be steady even while trend weight is dropping.

To reassure yourself, try plotting daily weight in Excel, and also a 16-day moving average (I do this because I measure in Ounces of which there are 16 in a Pound - could try 10-days for Metric measurements). The red Moving Average line goes downwards (slowly of course) even while the daily weight is randomly distributed around it.

Tip: shift the Moving Average 8 days behind the Daily Weight - it measures the last 16 days and so really represents your weight of 8 days ago.
  • michaelholmes99999
    Options
    On the hunger side of things. My trick has been to earn a beer and a packet of crisps or some sweets. I get on the exercise bike in front of the TV and pedal through a programme until I've reached 300 calories - enough for the treat. One episode of a serial is enough to do this at 30kph. Lather, rinse, repeat until either sated, or it's bedtime.

It's hard on the exercise bike though (Amazon's cheapest)! I've cycled about 5000 kilometres doing this and even oiling and greasing it isn't removing the grinding noises any more. On the plus side, I'm a great deal thinner and fitter than at the start of the year.

My plan for keeping the weight off is that all beers and snacks must now be pre-earned through exercise.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You are a male, eating certain days under 1300 and not logging on other days?

The first explains the hunger, the second the missed out weight loss.

Here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Read those, educate yourself, set a reasonable deficit and stick to it. Consistency is the key. Consistency.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    you are ending your day with 900-1100 calories left to eat - I'd eat more! If they say I can have, I have it!
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had a look through your food diary and went back about a month (to 8th Oct). You're often logging 1300 and under on calories, sometimes with a lot of exercise. As a 21 year old male, I feel that you might not be eating enough day to day. The first month you will lose pretty well from that, but after a while it's common to see the scale sticking if you're under-nourishing your body. You will probably continue to lose weight eventually this way, but I don't know how good for you it'll be.

There are also days where you haven't logged at all. Are you weighing and measuring all of your food?

Perhaps increasing your calories will help. Consistency in logging is vital too.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

As an alternative perspective, I have lost 130 pounds in 8 months by following a plant-based diet that is somewhat lower in fat and protein and much higher in carbohydrates. I avoid highly processed junk foods like white bread and white rice, always opting for the whole grains when I can.

Fair enough, especially if you're active carbs can be a great source of fuel. I wouldnt call white rice a junk food though
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Readjust your calorie intake as you get to a lower weight.