Quick hello

Options
Hi guys,
I am a 53 year old, fat, happy, nanny and mum.
Live in kent, uk
Have tried myfitnesspal before and enjoyed it but gave up as per any other diet I ever tried.
285lbs, it's a disgrace.
Had a heart attack about a year ago, having a sabbatical to get myself healthy.
A year later still obese, so trying again with this !!!!
Gone over my sugar allowance just from breakfast.......banana and porridge !!!
Have a lot to learn it seems.
Bit wary about making friends but am going to try this time, think the support is good.
So wish me luck and have a good day everyone
Laters
Byeeeee xx

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm not yet a nan but so want to be ;) Not sure you should worry about the sugar if it comes from fruit.. honestly it's good for you. It's just fruit. If the sugar comes from sweets well then you should maybe be careful.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Ignore the sugar allowance, it's meaningless. There's nothing wrong with sugar.
  • Dandeelyon_6xx
    Options
    I changed my settings so it tracks fiber intake instead. I know the sugar would drive me crazy; plus the fiber reminds me to eat more veggies at my meals. Good luck on your journey :)
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Are you also diabetic? If so then the amount of sugar you consume is very important. Actually, it is important for everyone. Diabetes is becoming more common.

Glad to see that you are wanting to do something for yourself before you end up back in the hospital with more heart problems. Be sure to let your doctor know about any life changes you make. This includes diet and exercising.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Hello - I am also 53 and made my goal weight around a year ago using MFP. I weighed every day, logged food and exercise. (I know weighing every day is controversial but it kept me from stuffing things into my mouth). I stopped in May and now find myself with 10 extra lbs (I am only 5'2" and small so 10 lbs is 10% of my weight). I realize I am a black and white type of person. If I go off plan - I go crazy and eat everything. I need to say NO to things. This is what works for me.

You can do it!!!!
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    If you aren't already diabetic then I'm pretty sure it's being overweight and inactive that may cause diabetes, rather than sugar intake.
  • Tmsmith007
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I am a 53 year old, fat, happy, nanny and mum.
    Live in kent, uk
    Have tried myfitnesspal before and enjoyed it but gave up as per any other diet I ever tried.
    285lbs, it's a disgrace.
    Had a heart attack about a year ago, having a sabbatical to get myself healthy.
    A year later still obese, so trying again with this !!!!
    Gone over my sugar allowance just from breakfast.......banana and porridge !!!
    Have a lot to learn it seems.
    Bit wary about making friends but am going to try this time, think the support is good.
    So wish me luck and have a good day everyone
    Laters
    Byeeeee xx

If you are looking for encouragement and accountability go ahead and send me a friend request.
  • howe60
    howe60 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Aw, thanks for taking the time out to reply peeps.
    Much appreciated x
    I am not diabetic btw.
    Aim to stay that way!!
    Hope you are all having a good day
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Aw, thanks for taking the time out to reply peeps.
    Much appreciated x
    I am not diabetic btw.
    Aim to stay that way!!
    Hope you are all having a good day

Good thing to be trying to prevent becoming a diabetic. Does it run in your family? If so, then please be very careful.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about sugar intake then. It is very hard to stay under the recommended allowance. It sounds like your main goal should be weight loss. With this in mind, don't fret over sugar, keep an eye on your total calorie intake and your sat fats.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and was about ready to throw the towel in with weight gain due to going through menopause. My daughter told me about this site and it was the best thing I ever did. You can do it, but you have to look at this as a life stye change not a diet. Once you get used to it, it become second nature. It doesn't mean you won't fall off the wagon sometimes, but you just got to jump right back on track the next day. I never gave up my favortie foods I just don't have them as often or I have smaller portions. You can add me as a friend if you want :}
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Hello and good day to you M'am. How very scary for you to have a heart attack at such a young age. :flowerforyou:

Good for you for setting goals to get your health back. Weigh, log, daily your food/water/exercise and you'll definitely see progress. If you find it easier to set diary goal for Protein/Fat/Carbohydrate/Fiber/Sodium. But your biggest commitment is honesty with yourself and a good food scale. Also another tip is to really pay attention to the macros of whatever it is your logging in (lots of changes in the marketing of food result in errors on MFP). If you cook for yourself from scratch, you can enter your own "recipe" into your food diary and it will calculate your macros for you. Did your doctor give you a specific nutritional diet to follow, such as a heart-healthy or low sodium or low fat?

(ETA: serious typo! duh!)