Whole Wheat Pasta

Options
Lyadeia
Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
I'm going to be honest with you, I simply cringe when someone tells me I should be eating whole wheat pasta. I can't stand the stuff!

But I do have a question about it though.

I was under the impression that whole wheat pasta had more fiber than regular pasta which is why it is more nutritious and better to eat. But, when I looked at the nutrition labels for some brands of whole wheat versus the regular stuff, they weren't any different when it came to calories, carbs, or fiber!

So is there another reason that people say to eat the stuff?

I personally enjoy the Barilla Plus which is not a whole wheat pasta, but it adds extra protein to the mix for about the same amount of total calories.

Just curious why I've been told whole wheat pasta is better when after reading nutrition labels they appear to be almost identical.

(Not talking breads, though...I can definitely see a difference in those labels! Just pasta)

Replies

• modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I am really eager for replies also. bump!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I don't eat whole wheat pasta or bread or brown rice or anything for two reasons: I don't like the taste of any of it, and all the brands I've seen are actually HIGHER calorie than the "white" options. Eat whatever you like. A calorie is a calorie.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You know what, I really don't know. LOL maybe just for the taste difference? :shrug:

I personally get whole wheat, but I do like the taste.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Whole-wheat pasta is generally known to be better for you because whole-wheat pasta contains the entire grain seed. Whole-wheat pasta contains vitamins, minerals and fiber, some of which are lost in the refining process when pasta is made from refined and processed flour.

Yes, the labels say one thing, but you have to know the law on labeling. Even some things that say 0 cals have them just lower than the law requires.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat flour is a powdery substance derived by grinding or mashing the wheat's whole grain. It is used in baking but typically added to other "white" flours to give nutrition, texture, fiber, and body to the finished product. Usually, whole wheat flour is not the main ingredients of baked goods, as it adds a certain "heaviness" which prevents them from rising as well as white flours. This adds to the cost per volume of the baked item as it requires more flour to obtain the same volume, due to the fewer and smaller air pockets trapped in the raised goods.

Nevertheless, it is possible to make a high-rising, light loaf of 100% whole wheat bread, so long as one increases the water content of the dough (the bran and germ in whole wheat absorb more water than plain white flour), kneads the dough for a longer period of time to develop the gluten adequately, and allows for a longer rise before shaping the dough. Some bakers let the dough rise twice before shaping. The addition of fats, such as butter or oil, and milk products (fresh milk, powdered milk, buttermilk, yogurt, etc.) can also greatly assist the rise.

The word "whole" refers to the fact that all of the grain (bran, germ, and endosperm) is used and nothing is lost in the process of making the flour. This is in contrast to white, processed flours, which contain only the endosperm. Because the whole flour contains the remains of all of the grain, it has a textured, brownish appearance.

Whole wheat flour has a shorter shelf life than white flour, as the higher oil content leads to rancidification. It is also more expensive.

"Brown" bread made from whole wheat flour is more nutritious than "white" bread made from white, refined flour, even though nutrients are added back to the white flour. This is because whole wheat bread is less refined, and retains more of the naturally-occurring vitamins and minerals. However, many brown breads do, in fact, contain a certain amount of white flour.
    Wheat is a good source of calcium,Iron,fiber and other minerals like selenium.

So, yes, whole wheat pasta is better for you.

:D
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I don't eat whole wheat pasta or bread or brown rice or anything for two reasons: I don't like the taste of any of it, and all the brands I've seen are actually HIGHER calorie than the "white" options. Eat whatever you like. A calorie is a calorie.

not entirely true.

if you had 400 calories worth of candy versus 400 calories worth of vegetables it's completely different calories.

To me calories are bull$*&%.

It's what the calories are made up of and what TYPE of calories your putting in your body.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yes, the labels say one thing, but you have to know the law on labeling. Even some things that say 0 cals have them just lower than the law requires.

LOL, I was wondering that with the 0 calorie pickles!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Answer.....absorbs more slowly into the blood system...[complex carbhydrate], because of the fiber keeps you fuller longer, also regular pasta has NO fiber....might want to google...complex carbohydrate to get more detailed information!:wink::heart: I bet if you didn't know you were eating whole wheat pasta and told you were eating reg pasta wouldn't notice[mind is funny that way.:huh:
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    I make both so maybe I can help answer your question ;)

Whole wheat comes from ground wheat berries...or the berry right out of the chaff from the field. Grind that up raw and you've got whole wheat. Sometimes it's not ground up enough and there seems to be things floating around in the water or gritty things. That may be what you don't like. If I add a cup of raw spinach that I pureed in the food processor the texture changes. It's the favorite in my house!

The white pasta comes from semolina flour or durum. It has to do with the processing it's been through and loses nutrients in that process. If you google your question, you'll find some nice debates and good information about the matter.

The less processed the better for you. :)
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Quinoa pasta? It is a complete protein and gluten free. You can definitely find it at Trader Joes, Sprouts, Henry's, or Whole Foods but I have even seen it at Bashas or Fry's. It usually costs more than regular pasta but unforuntately that is kind of how it goes in our society. (Choosing to make something healthy costs more than the 99 cent menu at fast food kind of a thing)

Anyways, just thought you might want to research it as an option. Best Wishes:happy:
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Great post. Ive always wanted to know why whole wheat pasta was better bc they typically have the same calories.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Great comments! There is also something about whole wheat and brown rice helping your insulin to rise and lower gradually. Good thing for diabetics perhaps.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,707 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes better than white pasta myself, much like whole-wheat bread tastes better to me than white bread. The white version of either, for me, requires some fat (butter, sauce, etc.) to be palatable, but I enjoy whole-wheat bread completely naked (the bread, not me [usually not me]) and whole-wheat pasta with a little salt and pepper.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    If you dont like wheat pasta you may want to try brown rice pasta its located in the health/whole food section of your grocery store or in the Gluten-Free section. The brown rice pasta has the same nutritional value as described for the wheat pasta.
  • lfholland
    lfholland Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have hated and thrown away about ten different boxes of whole wheat pasta, but the healthy harvest brand is pretty good.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta can go right where I sent the turkey bacon........the trash. I am a firm believer in moderation for everything, pasta alone isn't the reason anyone is fat and if you eat it in a portion size ( a cup) along with a meatball and some salad it is actually a pretty big meal. I have tried teh barilla plus and the only one I can stomach is the angel hair. I'm sorry, I was raised by a sicilian and there is no substitute for good homemade pasta with gravy. I can get my whole grains and fiber from too many other sources to ruin a good meal with crappy pasta. :drinker:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

1400 calories of Snicker's, M&M's, and Skittles is going to make you feel different than 1400 calories of lean meats, whole grains, fruits and veggies. But yeah, eat whatever you like.
  • guamchar
    guamchar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta can go right where I sent the turkey bacon........the trash. I am a firm believer in moderation for everything, pasta alone isn't the reason anyone is fat and if you eat it in a portion size ( a cup) along with a meatball and some salad it is actually a pretty big meal. I have tried teh barilla plus and the only one I can stomach is the angel hair. I'm sorry, I was raised by a sicilian and there is no substitute for good homemade pasta with gravy. I can get my whole grains and fiber from too many other sources to ruin a good meal with crappy pasta. :drinker:

Exactly!! If you are going to eat pasta, you might as well enjoy it, so you don't splurge later one.

I was wondering the same thing about the pasta, and I looked at the backs of some in Walmart (don't remember the specifics). The only difference I saw was that the wheat pasta had a teeny bit more fiber. It's just not worth it to me. I'd rather eat the white pasta and enjoy it.
  • DigitalRain
    Options
    I am really eager for replies also. bump!

I like this answer. I can't stand the grittiness of whole wheat pasta.