What time do you stop eating?

Options
What time does everyone stop eating at night? I know theres this myth that you dont eat after 8pm but I wanted everyone's opinions. :huh:

Replies

• wingnut32
    Options
    I always heard that you don't want to eat up to three hours before you go to bed
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    It is not when you eat,but what you eat. I eat until I run out of calories and,if I don't go over, I still lose on weigh day. Do what is right for you....Save a few healthy snacks for late in the evening like fruit or cottage cheese.
    Good Luck!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    depends if I am hungry or not. I try to eat every 2-3 hrs all day, and even leave calories for a *bedtime* snack, BUT at least 1 hr prior to bedtime, and I normally like to have it by 8pm. my favorite ~~ air-popped popcorn! :tongue: everyone is different..... I have tried it 1-2-3 hrs prior to bedtime, and even nothing after supper (6-7pm)...all with results.
  • rstring
    rstring Posts: 35
    Options
    I really try to stick with not eating after 8-9pm ~ whether I have calories or not.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    1-1.5 hours before bed. Eating before bed is not bad as long as it is not fatty or salty foods that the body will store as fat. In a calorie deficit diet eating protein and little to no carbs is best.

I take in 700 cals before bed. mostly protein but a little bit of carbs and I seem to be losing weight just fine.
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    7:00PM
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Calories in need to be less than calories out - I hear it doesn't matter what time you eat.
    I sometimes eat right before I go to bed.
  • onetxjewel
    onetxjewel Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with this because I don't get off work until 6 but it takes me almost 40 minutes to get home and my fiance doesn't get home until after 7 so by the time we eat it's 8pm and I like to try to be in bed at 9 because I have to leave for work at 6:30 am!!!! It's a non stop battle. There are alot of times that I feel too full when going to bed and i've been trying to cut down on my servings so i'm not overly stuffed.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    For me, nothing heavy after 5pm. I have a light snack about 8pm if needed. Normally veggies or cereal.
  • nimil
    nimil Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i don't think time would matter since some people live on different schedules and would have to eat after 8pm. its usually best not to eat just before bedtime since metabolism and everything slows down when you sleep.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I try my best to now have anything past 7 pm. If I am a little hungry, then I grab something that I know isn't going to wreck my day. A piece of fruit, a Fiber One bar, or my new favorite Kashi bar. Something I know will tell my stomach and mind it is time to let it go for the day.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat more for breakfast and lunch and eat less for dinner. With varying success, lol. When I do have a large breakfast and big lunch it is easier to eat less for dinner and do it earlier and still not be so hungry when time for bed.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    It depends for me. There's been some nights that I've been incredibly hungry right before bed, so I ate a light snack because I knew I'd never be able to sleep otherwise. There's also been nights that I've found myself eating out of boredom even when I wasn't hungry. Tonight, I had a big dinner (ate waaay too much) and am just having a nice hot tea with honey!

L.
  • JerryRW
    JerryRW Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Everyone's "gut" is different. My wife suffers from acid reflux if she eats anything an hour or so before bedtime. Me? I do not restrict myself. If I'm hungrey, and am under my calorie count, I snack. Usually an apple or pop corn.
  • ypena78
    ypena78 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I STOP EATING AT 6:30. & IF I FEEL LIKE HAVING A SNACK I EAT DANNON LIGHT & FIT 60 CALORIE YOGURT OR STRAWBERRIES OR GRAPES....
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I just stick to "a calorie is a calorie no matter what time you eat it"!

Of course, eating certain things too late hinder your sleep. Stick to light things like fruits and veggies,cereal or yogurt. If you're hungry, eat!
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Eating before bed is not a problem if you are sticking to calorie goals. I drink a Casein shake every night right before bed and am attaining my goals.
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If i am hungry i eat something shortly before going to bed and i am still losing weight. I try not to have a big meal or something though, something small to kill the nagging hunger feeling. But time does not matter for me at all, i don't eat after the watch, i eat when my body needs something and don't when it doesn't
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I have the reflux at night (who knew that fixing that would end SNORING of all things!) So I don't eat anything for 2 hours before bed.
  • nicjane113
    Options
    I'm not sure whether eating after a certain time can stop you losing weight etc. but I try not to eat after I have had my tea which is 6.30pm at the latest.
    If I feel a little hungry later on I would maybe have a small yoghurt or something else pretty light.

I used to snack quite alot around 8/9pm because I thought I was hungry but when I started MFP I cut out snacks and realised it wasn't my body wanting these things it was all in my greedy head lol.