banana= stomach cramps

Options
I was just wondering does anybody have problems digesting bananas? I would love to eat them as snacks or for my breakfast, but each time I do, I end up in the bed because I can barely move from the pain.

Replies

• sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I get a stomachache when there is green on the peel. I usually wait until it's about ready to get the brown spots that is better for me no tummy ache
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I get a little constipated if I eat a whole one. So I just eat half. Never had cramps from it though. Maybe you are banana intolerant? (Yeah, I just made that up, LOL!) A friend of mine says her little boy (just turned 1 yr old) can't eat them at all.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    My stomach cramps up when I eat one.
  • Mlazz
    Mlazz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, this happens to me, too. I thought it was just in my head. I even tried them dipped in chocolate ... I knew that if it happened with chocolate it was real ;). Even one small piece is miserable for the rest of the night. They also make my mouth itch. I have equated this to a food allergy. However, I am definitely not a physician. Just my personal experience :) I steer clear in all situations.
  • hisgirlie2007
    Options
    My fiance has this issue. Unfortunately, because bananas are one of the few fruits he liked. But he gets horrible cramps that last a couple hours from eating RAW bananas. In muffins or bread or something, he's fine. He is allergic to them, but like another person said, I'm not a doctor, so I can't say if you are or aren't. Be wary though, because allergic reactions often get worse with repeat exposures.
  • awesome_orchid
    Options
    274650.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    I also have problems digesting bananas. I dont eat them at night, but rarely during the day so I have time to digest it.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I googled this and found: http://www.ehow.com/about_5499083_do-bananas-give-stomach-cramps.html

Not the most scientific source, but it goes to show it's not just in your head!
  • lesleybritton
    Options
    Try them cooked and see if it still happens. I'm allergic to bananas, but I can eat them cooked. I'm told there is a chemical change that takes place when things are cooked. I have several food allergies where this is the case.

If it is an allergic reaction I would be really careful with it. The reaction won't necessarily be the same each time and could get worse over time. Nothing to mess with...
  • eversits
    eversits Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your responses and opinions. It really makes me feel better that I am not alone, and it is not just in my head.
    I guess I just better stay away from bananas and substitute it for oranges (its season is here).
    Thank you again!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your responses and opinions. It really makes me feel better that I am not alone, and it is not just in my head.
    I guess I just better stay away from bananas and substitute it for oranges (its season is here).
    Thank you again!

You are not alone!! My hubby has a banana (and also an apple!) allergy. He gets awful stomach cramps if he eats bananas, and he gets horrible hives if he eats apples. Crazy to be allergic to things so healthy but thankfully he can eat peaches, nectarines, pears, citrus fruits, grapes, plums, etc.