how many waited a while before first pound loss?

Options
minky_r
minky_r Posts: 95 Member
Hello, looking for some inspiration. I started mfp on Oct 15th. I am 5ft 160lbs and at the moment exercise is not an option. I finally lost a pound few days ago. I know it takes a while for bodies to adjust. First time in my life, I am not on a diet. I feel great, but would like please to hear from those who took a while to lose the first few.

Replies

• sloane70
    sloane70 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started working out over a month ago - finally lost my first pound a week and a half ago. Two pounds last week. It'll happen :) And anything that you can do to move (even part of your body) more often will help. If you're totally chair bound, pick up a bottle of water and do dumbell-style curls with it. If you can't use upper body, extend and bend your leg back to normal position. It sounds trite, but it's going to increase the number of calories you're burning a little, and it'll help you feel like you're doing even more :)
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I keep waiting every now and then for another pound. Try not to look at it as if you will lose a pound a week. I found that some weeks nothing will come off, and then all of a sudden I would lose 2 to 3 pounds. If I look at it over a 2 month period it works out to about a pound a week. Try to rather measure yourself, as that is a much better indication. Lastly, keep doing what you are doing. It takes about 2 months to completely break your old habits, and not feel like eating all the time. Stay strong.:drinker:
  • mowglix2
    Options
    I actually waited 2 weeks before I posted anything for weight and I am going to keep it that way if not longer, because I'm one of those oh well im loosing I can slip a bit.. then I fall off the wagon... so I did wait that way I am surprised by how much I loose when I do finally weigh myself and I push myself harder to see more numbers fall off.....
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    It took me 4-6 weeks before I lost a pound.
    I was counting calories and exercising. You do get very frustrated and want to scream " Why even bother" but hang in there, it does work and the pounds will drop.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I lost the first pound quickly in the first week. Then I gained it back and held onto it for 2/3 weeks. Finally all of a sudden this week, on Tuesday, I weighed about 1/2 pound less than when I started and today I was another pound lighter. It just all seemed to catch up. I've also been drinking TONS of water. I'm doing TDEE - 20% for my calories.
  • khicks125
    Options
    I started watching calories and exercising 10/10. I lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks, but the scale has not budged since then. It's dissapointing, but I'm sticking with it. We will see!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    It's taken me 2 years to lose less than 20lb. It started slow and it's continued to crawl.

"They" say that a slow loss is better, anyways.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    One idea---exercise is always an option.....lifting heavy cans of beans while in the kitchen, leg raises while watching TV, sit ups while watching TV, if physically able: take stairs instead of steps [and then do those stairs a bunch more times], walk/pace while waiting for water to boil, jumping jacks.....if small children are involved, use youtube free exercise videos to get moving, dance with kids or while they nap........all to say MOVE whenever/however you can. It really will help.

Good luck!
  • minky_r
    minky_r Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone !! ...I know this sounds silly, but this one pound feels like five!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey minky! That happens to me quite a bit. I do not lose weight steadily, even though I'm steady in my lifestyle/eating change and determination. :) It took a while for me to begin losing (and I didn't do it on purpose!). And while I am purposely losing weight now, the losses come in spurts. Like, recently I went for over a month without losing anything and then suddenly I lost 5 pounds in a little over a week (and I'm waiting for my scale to confirm it for a few days before recording it). :D
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I lost the first pound quickly in the first week. Then I gained it back and held onto it for 2/3 weeks. Finally all of a sudden this week, on Tuesday, I weighed about 1/2 pound less than when I started and today I was another pound lighter. It just all seemed to catch up. I've also been drinking TONS of water. I'm doing TDEE - 20% for my calories.

+1 on this. I also seem to see better results after a day that I have been drinking a lot of water. I drink about 3-4 liters per day. I constantly miss guessed my portions, but fixed that with a good digital food scale. Also, after exercise you will be heavier as your muscles retain more water while repairing themselves. I know it is difficult, but forget about the scale. Keep your eye on how you feel, and how your clothes are fitting. Also Measure yourself every two weeks and every day keep reminding yourself that today is the fattest you will ever be for the rest of your life as long as you stick with the program. THIS DOES WORK!!!:wink::wink: :wink:
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 cals for about 3 months and lost nothing. Then I upped and went swimming once and dropped 2lbs. Now it seems to be 1lb every 10 days. It really is just finding what works for your body. I've come to a stall as i've been ill and am retaining- It's tough to work out your own body but if you've started losing you will see your own pattern. Well done! also, congrats on accepting a lifestyle change not "diet" x
  • ForCharlotte
    ForCharlotte Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    oh i'm so glad i read this. i've been working super hard this week to watch my food and how much i eat and walking more only to have my scale go up this morning=*( killed my whole day. hopefully i'll fine see some loss in the future
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!