im sick but i still want to workout?

Options
i have been working out for 3 weeks now, 5-6 days a week for an hour each day doing cardio and strength training. Yesterday i noticed i was getting sick so i didn't work out but i don't know how long i can go with not working out. I was told that working out a little bit might help get this cold to go away. So i have a slight stuffy nose, but its really my throat that hurts when i swallow and i have slight congestion, nothing to bad but i sound stuffy. So do you think it would be wise to do a little but of working out? i feel like i worked really hard these past 3 weeks and i want to keep it up. i got sick about 2 months ago and i had to stop working out and i ended up staying sick for 3 weeks so i really don't want that to happen again. Im on a roll and i don't want to stop. I take vitamin D ( supports immune system) every day since its cold where i live so i get none from the sun and i took some vitamin C today too. Are there other things i can do to kill this cold, besides the Doc? i usually never get sick but this year really got me. If i were to work out today i wouldn't run, i would walk about 2 miles tops, then do my arms but nothing too hard. So any advise? if i shouldn't work out i wont, but i want to know if maybe i could?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I usually work out with a cold. Running even, depending on how I feel. I would say if you use a public gym, try to disinfect the equipment when you're done.
  • samco66
    samco66 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I usually work out with a cold. Running even, depending on how I feel. I would say if you use a public gym, try to disinfect the equipment when you're done.

awesome, im glad to hear that you still workout. My gym requires us to clean the equiptment after we use it. thanks for the answer! :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time working out when I'm sick because I almost always get a fever. I'm still a little stuffy from being sick last week or so, but I'm working out now and it's fine. I had strep and a sinus infection though...

If your throat is hurting, I would head to the doctor. Could be something you need antibiotics for. Getting treated asap will get you back to 100% more quickly.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I work out unless I have a high fever. Just know your limits, make sure you drink plenty of liquids and probably most important, make sure you get adequate sleep.
  • absmith_
    absmith_ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Ran 3.5 miles this morning and could barely breath through my mouth lol
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I've always heard if you're sick from the head up, feel free to workout. If you're sick from the neck down, take a break. My philosophy is if you have a sore throat, it's from the neck down. Take a rest. However, everyone has their own ideas. Just feel better!
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I would personally rest and recover if I was ill but if your symptoms are not severe and you feel up to it and want to work out then go for it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Anything you have to take medicine for, or if it impedes balance, vision, or makes you prone to dizziness or lightheadedness, OR makes breathing difficult, take off until you're 100% again.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've had the same symptoms all week and have continued to work out most days. It's harder, but it hasn't seemed to make me worse. I haven't gone totally all out (usually my workouts are all plyometrics/HIIT with heavy weight supersets), but have gotten some good, slightly mellower workouts in (today was 39 minutes, 415 calories--still working hard and busting *kitten*!).

As long as you don't have a fever and still have SOME energy, you're probably good to go. Just make sure to drink plenty of water and stop if you feel really bad/worse afterwards or the next day.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    i have been working out for 3 weeks now, 5-6 days a week for an hour each day doing cardio and strength training. Yesterday i noticed i was getting sick so i didn't work out but i don't know how long i can go with not working out. I was told that working out a little bit might help get this cold to go away. So i have a slight stuffy nose, but its really my throat that hurts when i swallow and i have slight congestion, nothing to bad but i sound stuffy. So do you think it would be wise to do a little but of working out? i feel like i worked really hard these past 3 weeks and i want to keep it up. i got sick about 2 months ago and i had to stop working out and i ended up staying sick for 3 weeks so i really don't want that to happen again. Im on a roll and i don't want to stop. I take vitamin D ( supports immune system) every day since its cold where i live so i get none from the sun and i took some vitamin C today too. Are there other things i can do to kill this cold, besides the Doc? i usually never get sick but this year really got me. If i were to work out today i wouldn't run, i would walk about 2 miles tops, then do my arms but nothing too hard. So any advise? if i shouldn't work out i wont, but i want to know if maybe i could?

I read somewhere that the general rule of thumb is that you should work out when you have colds but not when you have stomach / intestinal illness.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    i've heard that if the cold is in your head you're ok to workout, but if it's in your lungs you should avoid it. i was sick about a month ago and i jsut went to the gym and walked on the treadmill for 30 min at a 3.5 just to get some movement in :)

base it on how you feel but don't push yourself too hard!
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Personally I cant get myself to exercise at all while sick unless its just a stuffy nose, I can deal with that....but take being sick as permission to rest, your body might be trying to tell you that you're overdue on rest too... sometimes exercise can help us feel better faster but an illness already taxes your body not always good to tax it further.
    But if you must exercise I'd say take it outside or workout at home, Probably best not to spread germs at the gym even with disinfecting supplies and such we cant wipe down every surface we touch i.e. the door. or other areas of the equipment we dont realize we're touching.
    If you must go though maybe spend time in the dry sauna after your workout, creating a fever in your body might help fight the yucky stuff faster.... lol

Then I could just be blowing smoke!! :laugh:

Hope you feel better!!! :drinker:
  • ktaylor1188
    ktaylor1188 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    this just happened to me recently. i had been doing Shaun Ts Focus T25 and doing so well I didn't want to miss a day. so i decided the first day i took a rest because i felt really yucky but then i said no matter how i feel tomorrow im going for it. so i did. i made it through. might not of pushed myself as hard as normally but i find it important to keep up with my routine or i notice my mood changes :) drink loooooots of water. take your vitamins like you said you are and maybe some light cold meds if you have some. when non planned rest days happen i normally just workout extra on one of my other days or just workout on a planned rest day. good luck! hope you feel better fast!
  • Im4gin3th4t
    Im4gin3th4t Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Personally I would still work out, mostly because working out always makes me feel less sick afterward lol I guess the endorphins numb the pain of sickness? With that said, working out while you feel sick is not the best time to push yourself too hard, you shouldn't be trying to run faster or lift more if you feel bad.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

This! I've found continue my workout, even if it is for less time, keeps me from getting full blown sick. It could just be my mindset though lol
  • lynnkieu
    lynnkieu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    ZICAM- works like a charm.
  • samco66
    Options
    I've had the same symptoms all week and have continued to work out most days. It's harder, but it hasn't seemed to make me worse. I haven't gone totally all out (usually my workouts are all plyometrics/HIIT with heavy weight supersets), but have gotten some good, slightly mellower workouts in (today was 39 minutes, 415 calories--still working hard and busting *kitten*!).

As long as you don't have a fever and still have SOME energy, you're probably good to go. Just make sure to drink plenty of water and stop if you feel really bad/worse afterwards or the next day.

I don't have a feaver, thats what made me think i could still workout. I will make sure i down lots of water today. thanks for the answer! :) and great job on the busting *kitten*!
  • samco66
    Options
    Personally I cant get myself to exercise at all while sick unless its just a stuffy nose, I can deal with that....but take being sick as permission to rest, your body might be trying to tell you that you're overdue on rest too... sometimes exercise can help us feel better faster but an illness already taxes your body not always good to tax it further.
    But if you must exercise I'd say take it outside or workout at home, Probably best not to spread germs at the gym even with disinfecting supplies and such we cant wipe down every surface we touch i.e. the door. or other areas of the equipment we dont realize we're touching.
    If you must go though maybe spend time in the dry sauna after your workout, creating a fever in your body might help fight the yucky stuff faster.... lol

Then I could just be blowing smoke!! :laugh:

Hope you feel better!!! :drinker:

the sauna sounds like a great idea to sweat this cold out! i didn't even think of that. i will use my gyms sauna today. thanks so much! :)
  • meisterkidd
    Options
    I asked this very question [on another site] just last week because I got sick. Here was the answer I got
    When you are sick, you want to be careful not to push your body too hard. When you exercise hard, your body releases the stress hormone cortisol. In a healthy person, it is a healthy amount of cortisol that your body needs. However, if you are already sick, your body has too much cortisol and you don't want to add to the stress. So, take it easy. Do some light exercise, like going for a walk. If you do the workout tapes, don't go at full intensity. Stop if you feel light headed or uncomfortable. But, most importantly, focus on eating well, your body needs the nutrients right now. If you can eat well, avoid foods like sugars, processed foods, processed wheat, and dairy while sick your body will recover better in the end. Dairy isn't always bad, but it can create more mucus in the body which will make it hard for the sinus infection. Oh, and of course, drink a lot of water!

I hope this helps.
  • samco66
    Options
    I asked this very question [on another site] just last week because I got sick. Here was the answer I got
    When you are sick, you want to be careful not to push your body too hard. When you exercise hard, your body releases the stress hormone cortisol. In a healthy person, it is a healthy amount of cortisol that your body needs. However, if you are already sick, your body has too much cortisol and you don't want to add to the stress. So, take it easy. Do some light exercise, like going for a walk. If you do the workout tapes, don't go at full intensity. Stop if you feel light headed or uncomfortable. But, most importantly, focus on eating well, your body needs the nutrients right now. If you can eat well, avoid foods like sugars, processed foods, processed wheat, and dairy while sick your body will recover better in the end. Dairy isn't always bad, but it can create more mucus in the body which will make it hard for the sinus infection. Oh, and of course, drink a lot of water!

I hope this helps.

thanks! i only eat healthy food, no wheat, processed sugar ect and as much as a love dairy i know i can't eat any becuase it will stuff me up even more :( but i guess i still have me coconut milk. I really just want to eat soup but i know its not enough nutrients for me to workout later. i did not know about cortisol, thanks for the info it was very helpful! :)