What do you do when all motivation is gone??

Options
2»

Replies

• w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Try switching over to maintenance mode for awhile. Don't focus on losing, just focus on not gaining. Also remember that a 1 hour workout is only 4% of your day. I take a break every once in awhile where I just take it easy and maintain for a few weeks, then my motivation comes back and I hit it again.
  • wannabfit34
    wannabfit34 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am at a similar point I actually just set my settings to maintenance although I am still wanting to lose my thinking is this will give me a few "sane" months before getting back into weight loss mode. I found that I was getting frustrated on days where I wasn't hitting my calorie goal and exercise goal and I was starting to feel like it is a never ending process. So I thought just trying to maintain for awhile was the sane thing to do. Maybe you just need a break for a bit before firing back up. I'm going to keep my fitness at walking and light weight training and eat calories to maintain not lose who knows I may see losses without really trying.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you just need a break for a couple of weeks. Sometimes things get mundane and we need to take a step back. I have read that when dieting for extended periods of time its best to take a break here and there from it. It's good to keep your body guessing.

Also, if you workout - try something new. New class at the gym, new DVD, new exercises. That always helps me.
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So I have been at this for over a year. My progress has been slow, but still noticeable. I have found myself to be completely unmotivated lately to keep going. This last 2 weeks has been brutal for eating and exercising. I just find myself to essentially "not care".

I have done a variety of things in the past to get my motivation back, but I almost don't want to. Its like I am burnt out from trying to lose weight! Does this happen to you? What do you do to get over this feeling??

I think of two things, first is "where would I be if i stopped and is that somewhere I want to be?" I know where I came from and the ups and downs it took to get here. Do I want to put that progress in jeopardy or worse, was all those days of sweat and sacrifice in vain? I like where I am and where it seems I'm going, I don't have to sprint to get there, I just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

The other is that this is a journey, an adventure, not a quick thing, not an overnight thing. I have to be willing to put up with the lulls, the down times, the dips and the times where it seems no progress is being made so that I can experience and enjoy the up times, the on top of the world times, the "i haven't worn this size in YEARS" times. It's and ebb and flow and part of my growth is to learn to work with that ebb and flow.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Do you take diet breaks? Any time I start to get burnt out, I take a break. It's slowed progress a little (I took a few month long ones in the past year and a half), but i'm still here.

As far as exercise goes, I just suck it up and do it anyway.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    So I have been at this for over a year. My progress has been slow, but still noticeable. I have found myself to be completely unmotivated lately to keep going. This last 2 weeks has been brutal for eating and exercising. I just find myself to essentially "not care".

I have done a variety of things in the past to get my motivation back, but I almost don't want to. Its like I am burnt out from trying to lose weight! Does this happen to you? What do you do to get over this feeling??

I look at my before pictures, smile at how far I've come, and change up my workout routine with something new that I have been wanting to try... like Kickboxing, or Rock Climbing. I look for new recipes I want to try. I find really yummy ones on Hungry Girl, SkinnyTaste, and Lalalalossh.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Motivation doesn't last. Habits do, for better or worse.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    i get there. i go through this from time to time. i get so tired of all the thinking and the work, the counting and the eating.. but i continue on. i share my feelings about how it sucks and how everyone said they were gonna do this too but then they fell off the wagon.. so essentially i am left to my own devices. i only started this because i knew someone else needed my support for them to do it. i didnt think it would work for me but it did. i screw up. but i WILL not give up. i dont need motivation to log my food, it is simply what i HAVE to do. if i dont then i will go back to who i was before. and before i was NEVER happy with myself. i didnt feel good.. and i wasnt healthy at all.

as nike says.. just do it!
  • callherbeautyxo
    callherbeautyxo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I can get motivated to go to the gym but I can't get motivated to workout while I'm there lol
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What do I do when all motivation is gone?

I do it anyway.

That's called discipline. You can't rely on motivation alone to achieve your goal.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    What do I do when all motivation is gone?

I do it anyway.

That's called discipline. You can't rely on motivation alone to achieve your goal.

^^^This.

You won't always have external motivation. I'm long past the time where people praised my every effort as a fat guy getting back into shape. Now I'm just 'that dude that runs a lot and goes to the gym'. Worse still, when I am at I'm the skinny guy who can't lift much weight. Nothing to praise here.

But I have my goals.

I know that if I want to run a half-marathon, I have to do those horrible long runs, no matter how cold or wet it is.
    I know that if I want to run a seven minute mile, I have to run those hard intervals, even if they fill my lungs with fire and my veins with battery acid.
    I know that if I want to deadlift twice my body weight, and squat 1.5x my body weight, I have to get in the gym, no matter how much I'd rather sit on the couch with a bacon sandwich watching the Daily Show.

Working out isn't always going to be puppies and rainbows and people patting you on the back. Accept that now and resolve to do it anyway. Set yourself some solid goals and train towards them.

Ask yourself - 'Am I a quitter, or a doer?'