Out of Control!!! (warning: ranty)

Options
So I haven't been active on here in FOREVER...and I was doing really well with d**ting and healthy lifestyle...until I met my boyfriend. I love him dearly, but he eats like a bachelor! Chicken wings, beer, fries, EVIL things. I know, I control what I put in my mouth...but its hard to make healthy choices when he doesn't!!! I'm not nearly as active since I met him either. I have gained 20 pounds since May. Eeegads. I need some encouraging words to get my A*S back in gear.

Has this happened to you? What did you do to get out of the rut?

~Autumn :)

Replies

• rockysgym
    rockysgym Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This has happened to all of us! Any thing can lead us off track. So, how would it feel to do some menu planning that you can control? One option is is plan at least a few nights of healthy dinners with enough for left overs so you can make healthy choices even when he doesn't.

Maybe be sure to always have salad made so you can go right it if you need to. Even if you do have "bachelor" food, adding a big salad will help. And, who knows, maybe he will indulge too! Hope this helps.:smile:
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My husband loves to cook and when we first got together he would get offended if I didn't eat ALOT of what he made. So I ate ALOT and gained 30 lbs. I told him that I loved him but I had to quit eating like that. So now he eats what he wants and I eat a salad & one night a week I cook fresh wild caught fish of some kind and things have gotten back on track. You can do it, you just have to figure out a compromise that works for you both. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It happens to us all at one time or another....! :frown: Meanwhile... You still remain in charge of your decisions ...:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Your first step in the right direction was your acknowledgement ... and now you have an idea of what doesn't work for you. :wink: It's not easy but ...lead by example...and hope others will follow.. Get motivated.. get active...and get your diet in order..OOOORAAAH:happy: :happy:
  • marshxomellow
    Options
    Lol. I can relate. Smh. I really want to get back into the gym again and get sexy for him. Lol. I'm just uncomfortable with myself. I feel the better I feel about myself the better my relationship can get with him.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you are right that you control what you eat & if your partner eats a load of tempting food that you consider to be unhealthy you just have to decide what is more important, eating what he eats and undoing all your hard work or refocusing and continuing to exercise and eat well the majority of the time.

My boyfriend is 6ft 3, close to 230lbs and ripped as ****. He can eat whatever the hell he likes because he has a super manual job and works out like a beast & he will sit next to me in the evening and easily munch through delicious mountains of food over 3000 cals in a couple of hours (I calculated it once lol) I'm 5ft 3 and 99lbs, I simply can't eat the food he eats in the quantity he eats if I want to stay the size I am and after nearly 4 years of living with him, I just had to get used to the fact that he wasn't going to join me in eating a nice salad for dinner! Even though I'm not lazy, I do a desk job, and regardless of how many workouts I do I will never need the same cal intake that he does.

You can encourage him to join you in making healthy choices or eat what you are eating but that is really up to him and if he wants to continue with his current eating habits then thats his call and you will just need to try and ignore it and do your own thing.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hey there!! Feel free to add me bc we are DEF in the same situation and I can relate! :happy:

My boyfriend and I are having our 4 year anniversary in a few days and here's how it's been so far.

First year we drank like thirsty sailors, and ate like little piggies at fast food places at all hours of the day and night.

Second year, we had gone on a health kick (he started p90x and I rejoined the gym for a month during the summer). We were both vegan mostly (great for me...not so much for him) and got pretty well-shaped up quickly. Nothing long term or long lasting...just for the summer.

Rest of second year and third year, being college students, we went back to drinking and eating almost entirely fast food. I mean, I lived there...they knew me my name...it was bad. Finally, his mom starting nagging us that we got "really fat together" and how ugly we were. It broke my heart...I only had gained 20 pounds. I have no idea why someone would be so cruel to us...and all the while my boyfriend always said how hot I was. However, I did notice my thighs were becoming somewhat absurd and a double chin was appearing.

To prove that I didn't give two $hits what his mother said, I purposely continued to gain weight until I hit about 140 where I hadn't been since a little awkward 6th grader.

Finally, January 1st of this year I decided to do it for myself and screw her...I started exercising, I started eating right, and I became (and continue to be) super healthy now. My boyfriend started the journey with me, ended it VERY shortly afterwards. He just loves his crap food...and I don't want to do that to myself (though everything can fit into the diet within reason...I still enjoy a good bowl of mac and cheese once a month!) My only hard and steadfast rule is we will NOT eat fast food. I don't care what he orders when we go out, or what he makes at home, just NO fast food. I refuse to even eat in an establishment like that...not even the salads are healthy.

Overall, he isn't ready to change (though he gladly does Couple's Yoga and Spin with me at my gym- It's all women so he can't come the rest of the time) but he's more than willing to support me. And over time, I've rubbed off on him a bit. He asks a lot of health questions and seeing how far I've come has made him want to be healthier, even if not ALL the time. He makes BETTER decisions usually and I can't be too mad.

In the end, you are you. They're boys...and unless they want to do something- they probably won't. You can only hope that him seeing your healthy self will inspire him and perhaps make him eat better too. They'll always want their wings and beer, but you can have one yourself and not worry. It's all about not binging. I tried one of my boyfriend's nachos last night, but then finished my salad and buffalo burger instead. A little is all ya need sometimes :)

What's good is that he doesn't sound detrimental to your weight loss. Some boyfriend's get worried their girls will leave them, or get offended when they refuse certain meals (especially home cooked ones from Mamadukes). As long as he isn't doing any of that to you- I'd say keep rolling with your plan and hopefully he'll follow one day :)
  • autihill
    autihill Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses, definitely excellant suggestions!
    I'm disappointed in myself because I KNOW how to lose weight and be healthy(er).
    He isn't super ripped or anything; he's 6' tall and probably weighs 250+. He looks fine though!
    Super frustrating.
    I have a Wii with a few dance games. I love to dance so I'm thinking that's a place to start :bigsmile:
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey lady! congrats on getting back on track! I'm going to echo what everyone else said - you have to do it for you, regardless of whether or not he's with you. I've been married for 13 years, and at my worst was over 200 pounds. My husband has continued to gain weight during the marriage, even as I've lost. We both work, so he eats what he wants during the work day, and I eat healthy. Since I"m mostly in charge of food preparation at home we make healthier choices, and he's good with it. When it comes to snacks, he has his and I do mine. BUT, I've learned that I can have the same snacks he has, so long as I do it in moderation, and it doesn't derail my fitness-trek. :)
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've been with my now husband for two years.....we just got married 3 weeks ago.

Let's make a long story short: I have gained 40 pounds being with him :embarassed:
  • dandysandy7
    dandysandy7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    omg this is me. lol i LITERALLY gained 50 lbs in 6 MONTHS when i met my boyfriend (we've been together 6 years now). It's still super hard because he eats everything that i LOVE. I think that's the biggest reason i haven't been successful in my weight loss it's cause most of our going out would be to eat. But what i'm trying now is meal prepping i take one day out of the week to make meals for the whole week. ( i just started doing this but heard of many people doing it ) So whenever he wants to eat something we pick up for him and then i take my lunch and we eat at his house. I still pick off his food sometimes when i really want it but it's better than having the same huge meal he's having! Or another thing is wherever he wants to go eat i google healthy choices before going there and figure out EXACTLY what i'm going to eat before going out if that place has nothing healthy you can ask for them to put half the meal in a to go box for you so you won't eat it all. Those are just some tips that i'm learning to implement in my life ! Hope it helps ! Good luck and you can do this!!!
  • jmiguy
    jmiguy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Let him know that he's inadvertently impacting your health and ask that he not eat his evil foods while in your presence. Don't let him become your scapegoat for living an unhealthy lifestyle. As you continue to gain weight and find it increasingly difficult to get off the couch, you will eventually come to resent him, even though you really would have brought it upon yourself.

Perhaps you can tempt him with delicious healthy meals before he starts craving his evil foods.