Need chest cold relief

Options
been sick for a week, non productive cough.

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Gonna sound weird, but try almonds. I did yesterday and definiltey provided relief, but mine is a semi-productive cough.
  • shelli1982
    Options
    does it sound like it COULD be productive? i.e. loose? If so, (i'm going to spell this wrong) Guaifenasin is the active ingredient you want. it's an expectorant which helps loosen up the mucus in the chest so you can cough it out... it's the active ingredient in plain robitussin (not DM) or mucinex (costs more than robitussin but lasts 12 hours vs 4-6 on robitussin). If you want to quiet the cough, basically the only OTC item available other than cough drops is dextromethorphan which is the DM part of robitussin DM or mucinex DM... Dextromethorphan is available by itself as Delsym cough syrup too, which lasts 12 hours.... hope that helps!
  • mynameiselizabeth
    Options
    Rub Vicks on your chest. It works for me. :)
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting lots of rest--I found that when I tried to soldier through my workouts with a cold I didn't get better, but once I took a few days off I got better really quickly. For relief alone I like taking a hot shower for the steam, and of course, NeoCitron at night.

Feel better soon!!
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    An old mountain remedy that works for my husband when NOTHING else will (even after doctor visits and precriptions) - a shot of whiskey. (yuck!) When he has that deep chest cough and can't get rid of it, I make him drink a little whiskey and it really loosens him up. Then again, maybe it just works for us since we are mountain folk..... :-)