p90x, push ups., police academy. ARGH!

Options
So I'm trying to get into my local police academy and I need to be able to do MINIMUM 15 standard full body push-ups. I have been training for a month and can do 1. I have until the middle of December to put my application in to get into the April academy but once I put it in the first thing they do is the PT test.
So I started doing some total sculpt classes at the Y but I had to give up my gym membership so I am doing p90x. Has anyone been able to do none to 15 within two months? I am going to keep doing it anyways but it would be nice to know there are other people out there who started so weak and is able to build up quickly. Thanks!

Replies

• _NAUTILUS_
    _NAUTILUS_ Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone download an app called "100 pushups" it starts from day one with do 1 push up take a break do three push ups..take a break you will build tolereance as you go and in about a week or so you will be able to do at least half your goal. My starting fit test was 17, ended rocking out 58
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    It's totally possible. You simply need to keep doing them. If you can do one full one, then do some "knee" pushups to finish a "set". After a rest, do another set, which includes as many fulls as you can do, then switch to knee ones. Keep progressing until you're doing fulls all the time. It's basically what I did. I usually did 3 sets of 10 (3 times a week) as part of the strength training I was doing at the time.

Perhaps look into a "push up challenge" program to give you some structure to follow. You'll be amazed at how fast you progress.
  • Pbgrl04
    Pbgrl04 Posts: 129
    Options
    It's totally doable! I have started a beachbody program like P90x, insanity or t25on here and on facebook! If you or anyone is interested let me know! I will be post nutrition and fitness tips!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It's totally doable! I have started a beachbody program like P90x, insanity or t25on here and on facebook! If you or anyone is interested let me know! I will be post nutrition and fitness tips!

Good Lord, you have posted the same message in a few different posts....calm yourself.

OP, yes it's possible, you have received good advice. 15 is not a lot and you will do great. How are you with the other tests?
  • preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Good Lord, you have posted the same message in a few different posts....calm yourself.

OP, yes it's possible, you have received good advice. 15 is not a lot and you will do great. How are you with the other tests?

The other test I am good. I can do the run, sit ups, etc.. just the push ups are trying lol
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

The other test I am good. I can do the run, sit ups, etc.. just the push ups are trying lol

We never had that kind of test - just running and an obstacle course that had to be completed in a certain amount of time. Good luck!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    military secret (I was active duty Army for 12 years).... never ever ever drop to the knees. When going to basic training, we (as females) were never allowed to drop, if you needed to rest then butt in air and bent in half was rest position but NEVER dropping.

By the time I got out of basic training - I was easily doing 60+ regular pushups. Considering that they "drop" you for 25 pushups anytime they get the chance - that is the secret. Multiple times per day even if you can only squeak 5. We also did wide arms, diamonds and elevated - all.the.time.

Trust me... It can be done lol And when I joined the Army - I couldn't do but 1 pushup...