Very Slow Weightloss

Options
Ok...I've been consistently logging my calories and working out for about 35-40 days and I've only lost 8.8 pounds. My settings are for me to lose 2 pounds a week and since I often burn alot of calories through exercise, I feel that I should and could safely lose more than that (3 pounds a week). However, I am only losing about 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. Any progress is good and I should be thankful, but I'm not understanding why things are moving at a snail's pace. Has anyone else had any experience with this? In terms of eating exercise calories, I either don't eat them or have about 1 to 200 calories of them. It varies by day.

Replies

• Yaya0485
    Options
    Is ok the first few weeks are like that really fast because is water...dont get discourage dont give up memba is for long term so is worth it...Is normal to loose 1 to 2 pounds a week dont push urself hard..take care good luck
  • Thooper
    Thooper Posts: 15
    Options
    Don't go by the scale. At the beginning of a new workout program, I took my measurements and after my first 30 days of the program I took measurements again - and I am SOOOO glad I did. I only lost 8 pounds in those 30 days but I lost over 12 inches (4 inches in my waist alone!) so while I would love to see the scale numbers go down, its the measurements that really tell you what is going on!

You are doing a great job!!!
  • hmrtym
    hmrtym Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Have you looked up the entries for newbies to ready on the message board site? They have some very good descriptions about eating your exercise calories. Maybe you need to eat more of your exercise calories to lose more weight. All though for lasting weight loss and healthy lifestyle it is better for you to lose 1-2 lbs a week for the long run (which i don't think is a snails pace) ...check out the newbie section in the message boards. The people on MFP have so much information to share.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If you are using a heart rate monitor to know exactly how many calories you are really burning, then eat ALL of your exercise calories. If not, try eating half of them to be safe. myFitnessPal already has lowered the calories you consume by 500 calories. When you do not eat your exercise calories, it can put your net calories below 1200. This slows your metabolism. Be sure to watch your sodium. I follow the AHA recommendation of 1500 mg. b/c I have kidney stones. Drink plenty of water. To be honest, your loss rate seems very reasonable. My daily calorie goal is only 1200 calories, so ANY exercise I do, I need to eat back. So my projected loss is .8 pounds per week. I have been doing this since March, and I have lost an average of 1 pound per week.
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating most of your calories each day with healthy choices. Also make sure you have at least 8-8oz of water each day. I was NOT eating my exercise calories and didn't lose any weight for about 4 months. Don't be discouraged. In the beginning you may have a 1.5 lb loss followed by a 6 or7 the next week! Keep up the good work! :wink:
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    1. A pound a week is 52 lbs a year. That is a very good way to lose weight.
    2. Measuring tapes show loss better than the scale bacause muscle weighs 1.5 times the weight of fat. You may have lost 12 lbs of fat and gained back 4 lbs via muscle, but is your waist smaller?
    You sound like you are doing very well. Keep up the great practices. :drinker: (lots of water)
  • dbrace
    dbrace Posts: 12
    Options
    These are all great suggestions!!! Also, increase your protein intake while reducing your fat and carb intake a little.
  • ♡MyCurves
    ♡MyCurves Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I agree with eating more. You might have to, to lose more weight. That happened to me one time.