Any smokers or Ex-smokers out there???

Options
Hey guys,

I am a smoker :smokin: (i know, it's awful!) and have been for years.....I am active in workout programs, but still smoke! I am looking for any advice that could help me stop smoking.....I want to do it without any patches or medications....I'm just scared of what to do without it (and yes I know the millions of reasons it's bad for you) and afraid of weight gain!

Any advice is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am a smoker too and quitting very soon.

Cold turkey. Wanna join me?

You'll know I've quit when my sentences ramble forever, I use no punctuation, and I'm eating 800 calories worth of Jolly Ranchers.

Seriously, if you want to do it with someone, I'm game!
  • kskirk15
    Options
    I smoked for 30 years. About 15 cigs a day. Quit cold turkey on Jan 1,2010. I tried many of the gimmics to include RX meds but none worked. I may not have been ready? Soon it will be 1 year. I still think about it and crave it every now and then. After about 2 minutes the craving goes away. I find that exercise really helps me get over the hump.
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    i did the medication zyban it worked and i did WW and lost tons of weight and everything as soone as the 6months of zyban were done i was back smoking. i have quit 2 other times with the patches...I think this time it has been for good its been 5 years...they worked for me ...but my friend niki went to hypnosis ...there was a class advertised in out local paper..i think its like 2 sessions and it worked for her
  • grlaurie
    grlaurie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well I quit last September 8, 2009! I may have gained 35 pounds but it is the best thing I have ever done for me and now I have lost that weight that igained. I used Quitnet.com an incrediable website
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex-smoker and quit cold turkey three years ago. I just couldn't afford it anymore and really had no choice. I don't miss it at all. It wasn't easy but I got through it. I focused on other things and chewed a lot of gum. I won't lie, sometimes I get wicked cravings (due to stress) but I just deal with it. lol Today, I can't stand gum or cigarette smoke. I wish you the best of luck.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Hi there, first off.. you have to REALLY want to do it. I had tried several times to quit before eventually getting to where I am now. I can't tell you how, or what can help other than will power. After the first 2 weeks.. it's a lot easier... does that help? lol. I think what really helped me is my daughter.. when I first really tried to quit she was almost 1 year old.. of course I quit during the pregnancy but picked it back up after I was done nursing.. all of that together probably helped.. the cost probably helped too...

All I can do is be there for you.. honestly from what I've seen it differs from person to person with they're personal stories to what helps them quit... I seemed to have replaced that addiction with exercise... maybe you can find a positive addiction to fill it's place?
  • lyngoode
    lyngoode Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am a smoker too and quitting very soon.

Cold turkey. Wanna join me?

You'll know I've quit when my sentences ramble forever, I use no punctuation, and I'm eating 800 calories worth of Jolly Ranchers.

Seriously, if you want to do it with someone, I'm game!

Let me know when and I will attempt to quit too
  • carebear1983
    Options
    Hi! I totally understand your wanting to do it "on your own" but I am a big advocate for Chantax. I smoked for 8 years my husband for almost 20 years both of us quit with chantax within a month. I know that people like to use some possible side effects as excuses for taking the meds and quiting but for those people I think that they are looking for any excuse and are just not ready you really have to want it. So enough of my preaching I will be here to support anyone who is going through the tough but oh so worthy process to quit..
  • buckeyereavis
    Options
    Hey guys,

I am a smoker :smokin: (i know, it's awful!) and have been for years.....I am active in workout programs, but still smoke! I am looking for any advice that could help me stop smoking.....I want to do it without any patches or medications....I'm just scared of what to do without it (and yes I know the millions of reasons it's bad for you) and afraid of weight gain!

Any advice is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

i just quit... and gained 20 lbs... but hey i dont smoke!

the weights coming off easier...and i dont smell, i look better my teeth r whiter!!!
  • scottbhf
    Options
    Not a smoker, but used chewing tobacco for 25 years. Quit on October 10, 2007.
    There's no silver bullet, no magic elixir. You have to decide to quit, and quit. The first 3 days are a blur. You'll be an absolute wreck, and you'll think about nothing else. The next 10 days really suck. But the craves weaken and get farther apart. After 100 days, you'll gain confidence, and that's where the danger is - you'll think you can have one, or you'll buy a pack when you go out and you'll tell yourself that you'll throw it away tomorrow. But you won't.

When you have a crave... wait it out. FIGHT it. Do NOT give in. It's vital that you let everyone know, too. Tell your friends, family, everyone - that you're quitting. It's imperative that you have accountability.

Here's the thing - you'll never be prouder of yourself. Your smoking friends will try the whole time to sabotage you, because you're making them look bad. If it was easy, no one would smoke. It's hard, very hard, and you have to be ready for it, or you'll fail. Have a plan. Search the web - there are support groups all over the place. You CAN do it.
  • Chipperoo23
    Options
    I am an ex-smoker. I just made the decision. And that was that. Have it in your heart, and do it. You're going to have to want it bad enough to do it cold turkey. If you can't do it for yourself, then do it for someone else.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    CHAMPIX helped me quit. :love: I know people who used Zyban too!!

This is the second time... the first time i "Missed" smoking after 9 months and started to "Social Smoke" which lead to me being a full blown pack a day smoker once again!!! :laugh:

And this is how i Stay Motivated to continue the Non Smoking!!! =)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/megsta21/view/quit-smoking-motivation-44941

This here is why i will never smoke again... Cause i already "Spent my Smokin money"

(I cant put photo on here... =( Ahhh well a photo of Suz is on my blog...)
  • mascony
    Options
    Hello, I quit smoking for 4 years and then about 2 1/2 years ago have been smoking on and off. My husband hates it and I am going to stop smoking again at the end of this week. Saturday will be my last day of smoking!!!!!!!!!!!! If you want to join me I will be here for you. Before I quit with the gum chewed it for 2 years, but I know I can quit without nothing cuz that is what I have been doing. Lets do it, all in favor say I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile: :drinker:
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    I smoked a pack+ a day for about the last 10 years. Chain smoked when drinking and playing golf, and had smoked for about 15 years total. My wife thought I was a lifer and would never quit ..... even though I tried about 500 times. I used/listened to an iphone app called "quit smoking b max kirtsen" (for about 1 month religiously). I was actually just trying it to see what it was all about and didn't actually start out to quit. I just started listening to it every night and I stopped smoking within a week.
    Kind of a crazy thing to listen too, but I have absolutely no desire or cravings to smoke.
    It's different than the other times I managed to stop smoking for extended periods of time - when I "quit" before. Previously, say I had stopped smoking for 3 months - well those 3 months felt like I was walking a knife edge. Always wanting a smoke and it never left my mind (in fact, I was probably still bumming smokes every now and then anyway).
    This time, it feels like I never actually ever smoked before (at 99.99% of the time anyway). I didn't stop smoking when I started to listen to it, but my cigarette consumption stopped within a week. It just became a chore to smoke, I was forcing myself to smoke after about 2 days then just stopped a few days bought some OJ and then stopped all together. I also followed all the apps advice on cravings, nicotine withdrawls etc too. So if you listen to it, you'll know the OJ reference. When nicotine leaves your bloodstream, it dops your blood sugar levels and makes the cravings worse, so for those 2-3 days as the nicotine leaves your body, you drink OJ to spike your blood sugar and prevent from going too crazy.
    Best $7.99 ever spent in january. That was about 34 pounds and 300 days ago. (yes, I also started loosing weight at the same time - gaining weight won't happen if you're strong and work on the MFP diary properly).

Also, I can drink to excess, hang out in bars and other places where smoking was the norm, I can wait, be bored, argue etc etc and not need to smoke. magic.
    The trick now is to simply never take another puff. Just like this website says - which is also a good resource (I started reading it during my quit phase).
    www.whyquit.com

Good luck. When you're ready, it becomes easier.

The one thing I never do is vocalize how good a cigarette would be right now. I just don't acknowledge that fact. Sometimes I do smell the smoke and think dam that's nice, but within a few seconds I shut that response down, and never say out loud how good it may be .... because it isn't and I don't want to lie to myself.
  • dietcokaholic2
    Options
    I smoked between 2 and 4 Packs of cigarettes for over 25 years! At the age of 38 I had a heart attack, 99% blockage in one of my arteries! The doctor told me if I didn't stop smoking I wouldn't live to see 40! I have been smokefree for 5 months today! It's not easy doing it alone but ya know what?? You have all of us on here so you're not alone! Oh, I've lost 17 pounds instead of gaining weight. Where theres a will there's a way and you just posting that you want to quit is the first step I a smokefree world! I can breathe now! My hair and skin smell soo good! I can taste my food and best of all to me... I can maybe help smokers ! When you're ready, I'm here!
  • megano_d
    Options
    Ex-Smoker here (since July 16th 2002) and have some controversial opinions on quitting but its what worked for me and maybe it will work for you.
    The first thing to know about quitting smoking is that its easier than anyone wants you to know. Sadly, most folks wont want to see you succeed and they'll empower your desires to 'have just one' because it lets them off the hook for all the places in their lives where they fail (folks who are losing weight know this all too well, dont we?) But that is all a rouse and since I quit cold turkey, I feel like I can say that confidently.

Here is the great thing about quitting - you have no reason to smoke (unlike eating for instance) so all you have to do is simply never have one again. I know it sounds trite, but if intellectually you can really internalize that concept you'll be way ahead of the game. It takes some effort - to demand you be your word and quit because you said you would - but there is literally no reason to smoke again that is valid. When I would want a smoke I would ask myself 'Did you quit smoking?' the answer of course was 'Yes' which means that you cant have another cigarette and quit smoking. The two dont go together, trying to be both will make you liar.

I actually bought Nicorette when I quit. The game I played with myself was that instead of trying not to smoke, I was trying to not open the Nicorette. So every time I wanted to smoke I would look at the box and ask myself if I could resist opening the box and would focus solely on trying not to break down and open the box. (Eventually I gave the unopened box to someone who already used Nicorette and had run out.) I also kept tiny jawbreakers with me to nosh on when I wanted one.

And here is the other thing, and I swear if you can get this, like really get it mentally, you'll do stellar. The urge to smoke is like any other urge which means it doesnt mean anything that you have it. You have urges all the time that you dont honor - the urge to go off on the person in front of you in line who insists on giving exact change even though they cant find it, going off on someone at work, (insert your version here). Smoking is just another of those urges that we, as people, give weight and relevance to when none is inherent. It doesnt mean anything that you want to smoke. You dont have to do anything about the thought that says 'but I REALLY want a smoke right now.' LIterally. There is no reason to honor that thought, and any reason you come up with is a lie. What is true is that you said you quit and having a cigarette would mean you havent.

And yes, I still think about it. Folks still talk about how much I loved it (I was an unapologetic smoker who said they would never quit). My best friend still talks about how good I looked doing it. And I know I wont have another. Why? Because I love it. I love the way it tastes. I had a pretty impressive inhale that I miss doing. And like all smokers, the whole thing will almost certainly go downhill after just one. Dont believe you can, for a second, have another one ever. But thats what makes it easy, that's all you have to do. Just never smoke again.

Anyway, I could talk about this forever. Best of luck to you!
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just joing MFP myself and quit smoking about a month ago. My entire immediate family smokes and I have been smoking for about 8 years. I have been working out and trying to watch what I eat consistently for about 9 months now. I was smoking a pack a day and sometimes more. My fiancee quit while I was on a work trip to Texas for a month. He used Chantix and besides the bad gas it gave him he said it helped. There are also a lot of studies that say Chantix causes depression and suicidal thoughts. Not worth it if you ask me. I quit cold turkey. It was hard and you constantly want to eat at first, but I feel great now. The cravings come but have gotten a lot better. Now, I can smell it a mile away and am grossed out by it. My fiancee has actually lost weight after quitting but most people gain. Don't let it discourage you. Quitting is the best thing I could have done.
  • toothfairy016
    Options
    Honeslty, if you only do one thing from these posts go out and get yourself the book written by Allan Carr titled "The easy way to quit smoking."

I know it sounds ridiculous, and self help books are silly and whatever.
    It will be the best $20 you've ever spent.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

And yes, I still think about it. Folks still talk about how much I loved it (I was an unapologetic smoker who said they would never quit). My best friend still talks about how good I looked doing it. And I know I wont have another. Why? Because I love it. I love the way it tastes. I had a pretty impressive inhale that I miss doing. And like all smokers, the whole thing will almost certainly go downhill after just one. Dont believe you can, for a second, have another one ever. But thats what makes it easy, that's all you have to do. Just never smoke again.

Anyway, I could talk about this forever. Best of luck to you!

wow I can really relate to that. I am an unapologetic smoker. you have really put this into terms and broke it down for me. now I need to quit. thank you!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I am almost to my 1 year anniversary of quitting. I did jumping jacks (10 of them) every time I wanted a smoke. Breathing deep and refocusing your mind helps the cravings and being uncoordinated made jumping jacks something that got me focused and obvioulsy I would breath deeply after I did them. I quit cold turkey and I am doing great. occasionally I have an urge but I then I think about all the healthy things I have done for my self since I quit and I don't want to ruin it. Good luck.