two days=3000

Options
Yesterday I had 1700 calories..and today 1300. Adding the two together is over 3000..will I gain a pound? =\ I miscalculated food yesterday and went 200 calories over my maintenance *sigh* I am just curious and hope this wont mess with my weight.

Replies

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    :huh:

Um, you do realize you need calories to live, right? Unless you went 3000 calories over the calories you need to breathe, walk, talk, type on the computer, then no, you won't gain a lb.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The body burns usually 1200 calories at least just to keep your organs functioning/ breathing/ etc. So no, you will not gain a pound.

*edited to add that the number of calories your body burns varies depending on your weight and height and lean body mass
  • whisperwhitley
    Options
    So I am fine? no weight gain? I only need 1500 calories daily and in the past month I'd say once I week I go over my calories. It's upsetting me because I don't do this at all, and I have kept off 130 pounds for six years and don't want to ruin my weight again. I know I sound crazy to those who don't understand the big deal.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Erm, you need 1500 calories daily, you said?

So 1500 calories a day over 2 days = 3000 calories in total.

Day 1 you had 1700 calories
    Day 2 you had 1300 calories

This equals 3000 calories over 2 days.

Am I missing something?
  • whisperwhitley
    Options

Am I missing something?

no you are correct, unless you are mocking me..then what is your point?
  • lauren3101
    Options

Am I missing something?

My point is I don't understand the question. You need to eat 1500 calories a day to maintain your weight, You have essentially done that, but you are worried about gaining a lb? Where would the calories to gain a lb have come from?
  • whisperwhitley
    Options

Am I missing something?

My point is I don't understand the question. You need to eat 1500 calories a day to maintain your weight, You have essentially done that, but you are worried about gaining a lb? Where would the calories to gain a lb have come from?

I am worried about yesterday's 1700. I had 200 more calories then what I require. Today I'm about average on what I usually eat. I'm just wondering if going over calories once a week is good for me. I seem to be doing it once a week now and it's upsetting me. I don' go crazy, I go over maybe by 100-300 calories once a week. I'm not trying to lose weight, I want to maintain.
  • lauren3101
    Options

Am I missing something?

I am worried about yesterday's 1700. I had 200 more calories then what I require. Today I'm about average on what I usually eat. I'm just wondering if going over calories once a week is good for me. I seem to be doing it once a week now and it's upsetting me. I don' go crazy, I go over maybe by 100-300 calories once a week. I'm not trying to lose weight, I want to maintain.

Ok, well to gain a lb of fat you would need to eat 3,500 calories over your maintenance level, so for you, that would equate to 5000 calories a day. 200 over is not going to make a bit of difference, especially if you are eating less the following day. Try and look at it as a weekly calorie amount if that helps, so you can eat more on days you want to.

Just an idea, but if you are going over your calories because you are hungry it could be that you need more than 1500 to maintain. Where did you work out your maintenance level?
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Am I missing something?

Are you maintaining?
  • whisperwhitley
    Options

Am I missing something?

Ok, well to gain a lb of fat you would need to eat 3,500 calories over your maintenance level, so for you, that would equate to 5000 calories a day. 200 over is not going to make a bit of difference, especially if you are eating less the following day. Try and look at it as a weekly calorie amount if that helps, so you can eat more on days you want to.

Just an idea, but if you are going over your calories because you are hungry it could be that you need more than 1500 to maintain. Where did you work out your maintenance level?

Wow, I would need to eat 5000 calories to gain a pound of fat? I don't even let myself get anywhere near 2000 ( unless you count the 1700) some days I am a bit more hungry. I usually eat mainly lean meat but sometimes there isn't anything but bread in my house so I eat bread. Which means I eat to much of it when I'm hungrier. I was told by my doctor 1500 is a good amount of calories for me.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Am I missing something?

Wow, I would need to eat 5000 calories to gain a pound of fat? I don't even let myself get anywhere near 2000 ( unless you count the 1700) some days I am a bit more hungry. I usually eat mainly lean meat but sometimes there isn't anything but bread in my house so I eat bread. Which means I eat to much of it when I'm hungrier. I was told by my doctor 1500 is a good amount of calories for me.

Your GP or an RD because doctors don't take a lot of courses about nutrition and such
  • paulbf67
    Options
    You say you need 1500 calories a day. Thats 10,500 calories for the whole week. You ate 1700 calories, then 1300 calories over a period of two days (3000 calories). So you are right on track. It might be easier to look at your calories as a whole for a week (10,500). You could vary your calories each day too. For example... Mon: 1300 Tue: 1500 Wed: 1400 Thu: 1500 Fri: 1500 Sat: 1800 (a splurge day!) Sun: 1500. This is a total of 10,500 calories, so you've still met your goal.
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    It doesn't matter how much you eat in one day, it matters how much you eat altogether in 1 week. wow... :sick:
  • whisperwhitley
    Options
    You say you need 1500 calories a day. Thats 10,500 calories for the whole week. You ate 1700 calories, then 1300 calories over a period of two days (3000 calories). So you are right on track. It might be easier to look at your calories as a whole for a week (10,500). You could vary your calories each day too. For example... Mon: 1300 Tue: 1500 Wed: 1400 Thu: 1500 Fri: 1500 Sat: 1800 (a splurge day!) Sun: 1500. This is a total of 10,500 calories, so you've still met your goal.
    [/quote

I never thought of adding calories by week, I'll start doing that. Thank you. I'm relieved to have learned this
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm another person who pays more attention to weekly calorie goal than daily. I love the bar graph on the phone app (it's under the Nutrition tab, click where it says "weekly.") That lets me see where I am for the week. I usually go over my daily calorie goal at least once a week, but I go under my goal more often than that, so it balances out. I've never gone over my weekly goal, even at the holidays, and I aim to keep it that way!

Congrats on maintaining for 6 years -- that's a big accomplishment.
  • whisperwhitley
    Options

Am I missing something?

Are you maintaining?

to answer you, yes. I've been 125 pounds for two years.
  • whisperwhitley
    Options
    I'm another person who pays more attention to weekly calorie goal than daily. I love the bar graph on the phone app (it's under the Nutrition tab, click where it says "weekly.") That lets me see where I am for the week. I usually go over my daily calorie goal at least once a week, but I go under my goal more often than that, so it balances out. I've never gone over my weekly goal, even at the holidays, and I aim to keep it that way!

Congrats on maintaining for 6 years -- that's a big accomplishment.

I have not been over my goal ever in six years except this last month! I don't get it. At least once a week for a month I have a bad food day. But I guess according to others going over 200-300 calories wont effect my weight in the long run. I just want to stop this.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I agree that it cancels out... If I eat less throughout the week, (i.e. my goal is about 2,500 daily and at times working a full time job gets in the way of eating), I'm ravenous on Friday - Sunday. I tend to go over on Fridays and eat about 700 - 900 cals for breakfast on Saturdays. If I eat close to my maintenance throughout the week though, I'm not ravenous over the weekend. So, try doing a weekly target.
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    What height are you ? 1500 seems very low to maintain .. What's your activity like ?
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Actually is 3500 calories = 1 pound. But that is over and above what you eat plus any additional calories burned from working out.