Bicycling:

Options
has anyone lost weight doing this? how often and how long should it be done.
im Post Partum 2 months now and i think its time to get back on track before my weight goes out of wack... any suggestions?
5'5'' - 200 lbs. :-( :noway:

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I WANT TO RIDE MY BICYCLE!
    GET ON YOUR BIKE AND RIDE.
  • capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I cycle 2 hours per day 6 days per week average speed 18 mph.
    lost approx 28 pounds over 12 months
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Riding my bike is one of my primary exercise strategies. I can set it up on a trainer indoors if the weather is bad, or ride outside. I also walk and take yoga. I've been really pleased with the improvements in my health.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    weight loss is all about having a calorie deficit from maintenance...it has little to do with what exercise you are doing. I ride my bike frequently and it's awesome exercise and great for fitness...one could use it to create a calorie deficit as well...but that's much more efficiently done with your diet...which is what MFP has already done for you with your calorie goal.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    has anyone lost weight doing this?

Done "with purpose", cycling is an incredible calorie burner. You can create huge caloric deficits with it - but it will take time getting into riding shape.
    how often and how long should it be done.

Like any other form of cardio - the further you go, the more you burn. Pick your own limits based on your needs, abilities, and goals.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I ride a stationary bike in the gym; not as adventurous as outdoors which I have enjoyed many times before but for now I am indoors and it strengthens my legs.
  • dubya916
    Options
    I ride and I love it. I have a 25 year old mountain bike where I reclaimed my love for it. I try to ride for 90 minutes each day. This month my goal is to ride 550 miles. I use runtastic to record my progress.

My friends are amazed at the mileage I'm willing to put on. My jack Russell also enjoys running along side for at least 40 minutes - although at a slower pace.

The fall weather has been perfect for major bike riding fun.

Get on it, enjoy the scenery and loose yourself in a great bike ride.
  • NekaMaye88
    NekaMaye88 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    has anyone lost weight doing this?

Done "with purpose", cycling is an incredible calorie burner. You can create huge caloric deficits with it - but it will take time getting into riding shape.
    how often and how long should it be done.

Like any other form of cardio - the further you go, the more you burn. Pick your own limits based on your needs, abilities, and goals.

Great advice! This has helped me also since I've just purchased a bike!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Just ride!!! I LOVE the view of the world zooming by from the saddle of my 10 speed!!! Your body will tell you how often and how far, or at least your sit bones will!!!!
  • willemjmartins
    Options
    I started MFP 5 weeks ago and watch my calorie intake together with calories burnt on the bike. Lost 11 lbs so far, just trying to get back to racing weight.

An incredible way of creating calorie deficit, while eating big meals.

I do between 10 - 18 hours a week, depending on where I am in my training program.

Just a caution, there are two kinds of bikers, those who ride a few weeks and then once in a while until it stops. Then there are those who become athletes and log lots of miles, spinning at high cadence with the proper gear.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I recommend using a heart rate monitor to track calories on a bike -- depending on how you ride it is harder to get your heart rate up than for a similar effort running and the estimates seem to be off (and rely on average speed). I use a GPS with HRM to track my outdoor rides, and the HRM when I put my bike on stand for inside use.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i cycle about 20-40 mins a day just to get places
    i don't really have any other input to this post tho