thinking about a 5K

So, I'm only on W2 of C25K, but thought I'd begin looking at 5Ks in my area and maybe registering for one in December or January. This will give me something "real" to work towards. I saw the Jingle Bell Run and looked at the schedule. The 5-mile begins at 1:00pm, the 3-mile begins at 1:05pm and the awards begin at 1:45pm.

Do people really run 5 miles in 45 minutes? And I know C25K is supposedly going to train me to run 3 miles in 30 minutes, but seriously...the likelihood of that is small. I may FINISH the 3 miles, but it may take an hour, or 24. What if I take 50 minutes?? Will I be the last person?

That schedule is intimidating. Is this how they all work?

EVENT DAY SCHEDULE:
11 am Festivities Begins
11:30 am Costume Contest
12:30 pm Race Warm-ups
12:40 pm Kids Fun Run
1 pm 5-mile Run
1:05 pm 3-mile Single & Family Walk
1:45 pm Awards and Celebration

Replies

• Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    I have done 2 5ks before.. the first one I was prepared for, the second one I wasn't and thought I was going to die! There are people of all paces there. Some even walk the entire thing. Don't get discouraged. If you want to sign up and think it will help you stick to your training, then by all means do it! I'm also looking for 5ks in my area too but more within the time frame of when I'll be through the training (even though I won't be at 3 miles yet because I train based on the minutes, not the distance and I am SUPER slow).
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    If you want to do it then go for it. I can run 5K in 30 minutes and walk it in between 45 and 50 minutes but I wouldn't get hung up on being at the awards ceremony. My daughter and her friends run a 5k in 20 minutes or less so being in the award category is quite a feat usually. Lots of people will walk the whole thing so even if you can run some or walk really fast you won't ever be last.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    There's a good chance people will still be running the 5 mile while others are finishing the 3 mile. Sometimes there is overlap there. And yes, people can run a 5 miler in 45 minutes. The first 5K I ever ran in, there was also a 10K, and the winner of that had a time of 32:31, which is only 22 seconds slower than my time for the 5K (and that's my best 5K time to date)! (That person also ran the 5K first, in 15:01 (2nd place), got a ride back to the start and then ran and won the 10K. Seriously.) I was also far from last.

Who cares if you're the last person? Do it. You will not regret it. Having a goal is great. It seems like it would be a fun event, too.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    A) the only part of the schedule you really need to worry about is the packet pickup time if it isn't the day before and the start time.

B) Yes people really run 5 miles in 45 minutes. Running is not a competition with anyone but yourself. Run YOUR race. If you come in dead last, which I doubt you will, you are still lapping all the people sitting on their butt eating Cheetos.

C) You have plenty of time to finish the C25K program. When I finished it I was doing a 5K in 45 minutes. Didn't matter because for the first time in my life I was running!

Here's some advice from a slow runner.

1 - Get fitted for your shoes! There are different thoughts on this but it will help tremendously the farther you get in the program.
    2 - Sign up for a 5K. That's your motivation to finish!
    3 - Don't worry about getting faster until you finish a race. I was told worry about a fast 5K when you can run a slow 10K.
    4 - Don't let your brain dictate what your body can do. It will lie to you. Listen to your muscles they are telling the truth.
    5 - Relax and have fun. It's just running.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I love this idea!

No, I don't think you'd have a problem doing 3 miles in 40 minutes. And no, I'm sure you won't be the last one but who cares if you are - you signed up, you trained and you did it. And next time you'll do better after some training. I've done two 10ks and three 5ks and every event included a wide variety of fitness levels - walkers, speed walkers, slow runners, fast runners and everything in between. Think of it this way, if you walk 4mph you can go 3 miles in 45 minutes. Assuming you run a little faster than that, you're guaranteed to do it. And don't feel bad if you run super slow - I started out running at only 4.3mph!

Have you been doing your C25K on the treadmill or outside? If you've been on the treadmill, make sure you start doing at least one day outside to prep for the race because there's a HUGE difference between the two.

Best of luck!!
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    I ran a 5K with my daughter, I was prepared she was not. But, her goal was to finish the race, so I ran at her pace, although we were very slow, about 45 minutes, she finished, and she achieved a goal. To me, that was more satisfying than getting a quicker time.
  • Rastamann
    Rastamann Posts: 139 Member
    That's sound like a great 5k to be your first. The extra events takes a lot of the pressure off most people. I would focus on finishing and not your finishing position first. Unless you're a super competitive person. Typically the last person a will finish a 5k in about 1hr-1hr 5mins.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Thanks, ya'll! And look at THIS race I found...

http://www.biggestloserrunwalk.com/Beaumont_TX-Half-Marathon-5K-2014#raceday

This one is on my birthday and how fun would it be to run in a Biggest Loser race!! This one is past my 9-week goal, so I should hopefully be prepared.

It would be pretty cool to be able to run a 5K on my 49th birthday. Happy birthday to me!!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member

Do people really run 5 miles in 45 minutes? And I know C25K is supposedly going to train me to run 3 miles in 30 minutes, but seriously...the likelihood of that is small. I may FINISH the 3 miles, but it may take an hour, or 24. What if I take 50 minutes?? Will I be the last person?

T

I finished C25K - my first 5k I ran in a little over 30 minutes, and my 2nd I went with my son and his calves were hurting so we walked the last 2 miles - finished in about 45 minutes. If you take 50 minutes you won't be last. A lot of people walk - and walk slowly.

I was shocked at my first race run time - but when I was there and going with the crowd it motivated me to pick up the pace a bit.

I am a horribly slow runner. But I'm going to just keep trucking along and signing up for fun 5ks I see.

Have fun! Enjoy! Post about it when you finish!
  • lyzmorrison
    Have you been doing your C25K on the treadmill or outside? If you've been on the treadmill, make sure you start doing at least one day outside to prep for the race because there's a HUGE difference between the two.

Good point. I'm on a treadmill at the gym b/c I don't want to run in 1000% humidity, or in the dark, or where people will drive by and see me and think "damn right that girl needs to run!".

Today is one of my C25K days, so I suppose I will take you up on your advice and do it outdoors. There's a nice running path that goes around a man-made lake in my neighborhood. Gah....at least at the gym everyone looks terrible.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member

Good point. I'm on a treadmill at the gym b/c I don't want to run in 1000% humidity, or in the dark, or where people will drive by and see me and think "damn right that girl needs to run!".

Most people don't think this....I know when I see anyone running....no matter what size they are or how slow they are I'm proud of them! Just yesterday a bigger lady was running around our neighborhood (and she was going slow) and it made me want to get out and run because obviously I have no excuses!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member

Most people don't think this....I know when I see anyone running....no matter what size they are or how slow they are I'm proud of them! Just yesterday a bigger lady was running around our neighborhood (and she was going slow) and it made me want to get out and run because obviously I have no excuses!

I agree! I always want to yell encouragement out my car window, but I don't think that it would be taken the right way... :wink:

Don't worry about other people. This is YOUR run, and YOUR time. And since it is your first, it is your starting point. If you keep up with it, each time will get faster and faster. Some people sprint, some people walk the whole distance, and everything in between, and it's all great!

There are a ton of fun runs too - this year I did a Color run, Mud run and a Zombie run, so there's something for everyone.

Good luck!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member

Today is one of my C25K days, so I suppose I will take you up on your advice and do it outdoors. There's a nice running path that goes around a man-made lake in my neighborhood. Gah....at least at the gym everyone looks terrible.

Yes if you want to run a 5k, you really need to train outdoors as much as possible.
  • lyzmorrison
    Ya'll have me so psyched! I'm totally going to do the Biggest Loser race on Jan. 12th. Beaumont is about an hour away and we have an RV, so I've already booked a spot at a nearby state park so we can come down that Friday and chill and then go to the race/walk/crawl that Sunday. I'm commited!!!!

Tomorrow I'll let you know how it goes running outside.....
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Ya'll have me so psyched! I'm totally going to do the Biggest Loser race on Jan. 12th. Beaumont is about an hour away and we have an RV, so I've already booked a spot at a nearby state park so we can come down that Friday and chill and then go to the race/walk/crawl that Sunday. I'm commited!!!!

That is amazing!!! Sounds like you are hooked already. 1 thing many of us forgot to mention..... running is addictive!!!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member

I'm glad you're so excited! Races can get a bit addictive. I don't love training, but I love participating in races!
  • SoFLpeg
    SoFLpeg Posts: 15 Member
    Best wishes. Definitely train outside and don't give two hoots for what anyone thinks. You will find most runners incredibly supportive and who cares about anyone else. Sure there is the possibility someone will yell something nasty out the window...so what. That is no reflection on you, only on their small souls.

I second the advice about going to a good running store (not a mall store) but one run by runners (Fleet Feet or the like). Risking injury with poorly fitting shoes is not a good way to start. Yes they will be expensive, but it is worth the health of your body. Bring an older pair of shoes in that you have run in so they can see the wear patterns. They will watch you walk and run and help select the right shoes for you.

Don't worry about your pace. For your first race, concentrate on finishing, even if you walk some or all of the distance. Many many people will. Some will walk all of it. Each of us runs our own race.

I've been running over a year and I cannot run a 9 min mile (5 miles in 45 min). My flat out fastest is just about 10 min/mile, which I can only sustain for about 3 miles. Beyond that distance, I am slower. It didn't stop me from running a half marathon in October, official stats: 2:31:55. Pace 11:36 min/Mile. Place in age division = 84. Oh, I am 58 by the way.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,148 Member

I did my first and only 5K (so far) in September. I finished the C25K program in the spring. I hadn't planned on doing one just yet, but my subdivision does a yearly one to raise $ for children's cancer research and it was on a Saturday morning following a rare Friday night off so I took it as a sign. I was also worried about doing a bigger one with lots of people. I'm fat and I'm slow. I'd run the distance twice before at 46 mins each time. But I sucked it up and went. There were 57 of us and I came in 52nd. I swore I was last since I didn't hear anyone behind me but I wasn't.

I'd advise getting off the treadmill. I was the same way not wanting people to see me, I started going outdoors once a week in the early weeks of C25K but hated when I had to run the intervals when someone was around. I got over it quickly and took to running outside all the time and running down the main road of the subdivision not giving a $#8^. I do chuckle when I remember how self conscious I was in the beginning. I also find I can no longer be happy on the treadmill for more than a few minutes. It's so much nicer outside. I need to go get some outdoor walking/running apparel because unless there's snow and ice on the ground and it's under 30 degrees, I want to continue to walk/run outside.

Go for it!!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    B) Yes people really run 5 miles in 45 minutes. Running is not a competition with anyone but yourself. Run YOUR race. If you come in dead last, which I doubt you will, you are still lapping all the people sitting on their butt eating Cheetos.
    [edited...]
    5 - Relax and have fun. It's just running.

This is such great advice! A week or two before your race, run the same distance wearing a watch. Time yourself. On race day you are racing against yourself! What a great way to see improvement.

Go for it, and enjoy!
  • lyzmorrison
    Well, I "ran" outside last night. It's definately more difficult to run outside, but you're right, it is nicer. The sidewalk around the lake is 1 mile so that means 3 trips around the lake. By the time my C25K 30 mintues were up, I wasn't quite 2 times around the lake, so I'm definately slow. I was going to go a 3rd time and just run/walk it and see how long it took to go a full 3 miles, but it was pretty dark outside and I was starting to get spooked. Tomorrow is Saturday and my next C25K day so I'll go back to the lake and go 3 times.

I'm really excited. And since beginning MFP I've lost 20 lbs and people are noticing! It's wierd here at work b/c none of the men want to say anything for fear that someone will slap a harrassment lawsuit on them, but I'm all about them telling me I look thinner! Hey...don't hold back!! (And off topic...my female boss HATES it when people say "girl"..she's like, "we are WOMEN". I'm like...hey, I'm good with being a 49 y/o girl. Now I want to be a 49 y/o SKINNY girl!)

Thanks so much for ya'lls words of wisdom! I can do this!