Dealing with muscle soreness

Options
Does anyone have suggestions on soothing muscle soreness? My husband takes ibuprofen and that completely takes his muscle soreness away. For me it does nothing. Aspirin and aleve don't do a thing either. I can't take aceitominophen as I'm allergic.

A hot shower or hot bath don't do much and what little they do is very very temporary. Stretching doesn't help either. Moving regularly helps reduce stiffness.

So...any other suggestions? I do not get any sort of positive feeling from being sore (I know some people feel good because of the hard work that got them there) and if anything it's a bit of a deterrent to working out. Since I only do stuff I really enjoy, I keep doing them but the thought is there in the back of my head. If it was an activity I didn't care for I'd probably skip it.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Use the muscle. I always plan a light cardio session the day after leg day. A slow run or an easy bike ride are great for sore legs. Using the muscle increase blood flow which helps speed up repair/recovery of sore muscles.

Foam rolling can also help.

I will say that Epsom salt baths seem to help too, but that may be more psychological than physiological.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Keep doing the activity and eventually you shouldn't get sore anymore. I'm one of those weirdos that love the hurt so I have to keep reaching for new heights to find the pain!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Use the muscle. I always plan a light cardio session the day after leg day. A slow run or an easy bike ride are great for sore legs. Using the muscle increase blood flow which helps speed up repair/recovery of sore muscles.

Foam rolling can also help.

I will say that Epsom salt baths seem to help too, but that may be more psychological than physiological.

I do the same thing. A low intensity run after leg day is a must for me. I look so awkward the first mile though but by the end of it everything feels awesome.
  • firstjog11
    firstjog11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Same as above. Force yourself to do something active, after 10 minutes you will feel so much better
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have suggestions on soothing muscle soreness? My husband takes ibuprofen and that completely takes his muscle soreness away. For me it does nothing. Aspirin and aleve don't do a thing either. I can't take aceitominophen as I'm allergic.

A hot shower or hot bath don't do much and what little they do is very very temporary. Stretching doesn't help either. Moving regularly helps reduce stiffness.

So...any other suggestions? I do not get any sort of positive feeling from being sore (I know some people feel good because of the hard work that got them there) and if anything it's a bit of a deterrent to working out. Since I only do stuff I really enjoy, I keep doing them but the thought is there in the back of my head. If it was an activity I didn't care for I'd probably skip it.

Recommend you have a read of this thread, initiated by a veteran regular forum poster: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1131956-compression-garments-who-knew
    Compression garments were shown to have the following benefits when worn during or after exercise:

Decreased muscle soreness. People who wore compression garments while exercising [6, 7, 25, 32] or after exercising [2,9, 22, 23, 27, 32] had less muscle soreness.

Decreased swelling and edema. Compression garments were shown to decrease swelling and fluid retention in the lower body (typically the calf and/or ankle) when worn either while exercising [32] or after exercise [22, 32].

Improved blood-flow, muscle oxygenation, and cardiac output. Compression garments were shown to improve muscle oxygenation [5, 10, 18, 21] and to increase blood flow to and from the muscle [10, 20]. The garments were also shown to improve cardiac output [14, 29] and to decrease heartrate while exercising [13, 19]. Lastly, participants wearing the garments also felt that they exerted themselves less when exercising [6, 15], or improved their performance times [11, 28].

Decreased muscle damage. By measuring markers of muscle breakdown, investigators were able to determine whether or not compression garments could decrease the occurrence of muscle damage when exercising. Interestingly, the compression garments were found to decrease the occurrence of muscle damage when worn either during exercise [7, 32] or afterwards [2, 32].

Improved muscle recovery. When worn after exercising, compression garments were shown to improve muscle recovery [22, 23, 27] and to improve athletic output and strength in subsequent workouts [27]. This may be a by-product of having less muscle damage.

Source: Biological Conclusions
  • Wrxsti23
    Options
    I like to take a really hot bath using some Detoxifying Bath Salts that I purchased from my regular massage place.
    It relieves stress, loosens up the muscles and helps remove toxins from the skin. My massage therapist also told me it helps with the lactic acid build-up caused from working out. This has significantly helped me. I know you can also make your own.
  • sabianhunter
    sabianhunter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Having protein after a workout is what my personal trainer told me is a deterrent to soreness. 20-25% of your body weight in grams of protein for a recovery snack helps give the muscles the nutrients that it needs to repair. We do new exercises almost every time we meet working out new muscle groups and I am almost never sore. ?? I usually drink a protein shake
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Keep doing the activity and eventually you shouldn't get sore anymore. I'm one of those weirdos that love the hurt so I have to keep reaching for new heights to find the pain!

You'd think that but it's not fully true for what I do.

My primary exercises are Bellydance, Zumba and horseback riding. There's always something new to learn so you're always switching things up. For horseback riding as an example, there's a position we call two point (you're basically doing a squat and holding it while the horse is moving). You want to be able to keep yourself up but while maintaining good posture/balance and control of the horse. To make it harder you increase the time, take away your stirrups so you're squeezing with your leg, add obstacles or jumps, then you can make those harder, add hills, etc etc.. Switching things up is constant :) I don't always get sore from my hobbies but I hate having a couple of days of just not wanting to move.

Oddly, doing the same exercise does make it feel better while I'm doing it. I can't bring my horse to work though. He won't fit in my cubicle.
  • monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    for me the best cure for muscle soreness (post trainign faitgue) is to do low intensity cardio to get the muscles to work again and burn off that lactic acid. so for example i would just walk on the treadmill for a while or do light jog,
    also radox muscle soak does it job so well- bath full of hot water and add this...
    if it is really bad i put deep heat on it- it warms up the places and the next day its all better!
    but remember that the best thing you can do is thoroughly stretch after a work out!!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

You'd think that but it's not fully true for what I do.

My primary exercises are Bellydance, Zumba and horseback riding. There's always something new to learn so you're always switching things up. For horseback riding as an example, there's a position we call two point (you're basically doing a squat and holding it while the horse is moving). You want to be able to keep yourself up but while maintaining good posture/balance and control of the horse. To make it harder you increase the time, take away your stirrups so you're squeezing with your leg, add obstacles or jumps, then you can make those harder, add hills, etc etc.. Switching things up is constant :) I don't always get sore from my hobbies but I hate having a couple of days of just not wanting to move.

Oddly, doing the same exercise does make it feel better while I'm doing it. I can't bring my horse to work though. He won't fit in my cubicle.

Every exercise is like that. Keep working through it. If you're really in that much pain that you get no relief, see your dr. Maybe you have RA or something. Otherwise, muscle use is the best way to relieve it.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Exactly that. Dealing.

Embrace it. Love it.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Exactly that. Dealing.

Embrace it. Love it.

That is so not motivational, LOL.

Thank you all around for the responses!