Running in the dark

Options
Does anyone have any tips for running in the dark?
I've given up running for the winter because it gets dark so early and evening is the only time I can go. But I miss it so much.
What are the best lights for running? I live on a country road, there aren't many streetlights, I'd like to be able to see at least a little bit ahead of me.
Does anyone have any other tips for running at night?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Most running jackets have lots of reflective stuff on them. If you dont have one, you can buy reflective tape and do a do it yourself type job. I've also seen wrist/ankle bands you can put on and take off.

I also wear a headlamp, nothing special, just one we bought at Costco. But be warned, you can see your immediate area, but not further. Its a little unnerving when you are running in the pitch black and can't see around. (there are no lights on the road I run, so I can only see around if a car drives by).
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Get as much reflective clothing as you can afford or at least get one of those construction vests because more important than what you can see is that you be seen. I've come so close to hitting some moron running down the road in the dark all dressed in black!

You can get a headlamp if you want to see where you are going at just about any sporting goods store. They also make all kinds of little flashing lights you can fasten to your clothing so you can be seen.

I wear a reflective jacket, tights with a reflective stripe, my shoes have reflective bits and my hat has a reflective Nike swoosh plus I wear a clip on light. Hubby says I look like a Xmas tree coming down the road.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Get as much reflective clothing as you can afford or at least get one of those construction vests because more important than what you can see is that you be seen. I've come so close to hitting some moron running down the road in the dark all dressed in black!

You can get a headlamp if you want to see where you are going at just about any sporting goods store. They also make all kinds of little flashing lights you can fasten to your clothing so you can be seen.

I wear a reflective jacket, tights with a reflective stripe, my shoes have reflective bits and my hat has a reflective Nike swoosh plus I wear a clip on light. Hubby says I look like a Xmas tree coming down the road.

I forgot about the construction vests - that's a good option too.

I have a pair of winter running tights that have reflective thread in them, so the who front and back seams light up.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I too live on country roads. I use a headlamp. Petzel brand. no real reason. just make sure it fits
    snugly but not too tight.
    I also use 'turtle' lights. Google these, they're available at outdoor shops, bike shops.
    I pin them on my jacket front and back. You can set them on blink. or steady.
    I'm sure I look either like a fool or a space ship. don't care.
    I also carry a wand type flashlight in each hand. Think Star Wars light sabre only smaller.
    My jacket has reflector stripes. Sometimes I add reflecting arm bands as well.
    Definitely it's See and Be Seen!
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I wear a headlamp and also wear a lot of reflective clothes ( bright yellow Nathan reflective vest), reflective shoes. Thinking about knuckle lights next. You're right, though. Sometimes a headlamp is not very illuminating (you can see some obstacles but not all), especially in fog or when the battery is running low.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I do almost all of my running in the dark, year round. I wear a roadid.com wrist light (red) that can be seen by others from about a mile away but does not disturb my vision at all. In the colder weather I wear a Saucony running jacket that has built in orange light strips that I only turn on when the rare car is headed my way. I prefer to allow my eyes to adjust to the ambient light that is almost always out there - you will be surprised by just how much you are able to see. A headlamp or flash light would stop my ability to see out into the fields that the dog and I are running by and I would miss spotting the dear and coyote that are there most mornings. My shoes and hat have reflective material on them the rest of me is usually dressed in black under armor of one kind or another. Other runners and car drivers have no problem spotting me because of the red wrist light. Enjoy the dark running, especially the beautiful skies!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Avoid the urge to wear black clothes--even with the reflective bits, if you're at the wrong angle, you're still kind of invisible to cars. If you're running in the road, be sure to run against oncoming traffic--this allows you to see the cars coming and react even if they can't really see you.

Be careful!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I head out at 4am, and some times i wear black,,, all black, and some times i wear flouresecent stuff.
    It is half lit where i go, and half dark thru a bush,,, i meet the same regulars, i feel safe.
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I tried a headlamp but didn't like the feel of wearing it or that it bounced around (maybe it was just the one I had). I just bought some knucklelights and really like them (www.knucklelights.com). I have small hands so I worried that they would be uncomfortable but they aren't and I don't really notice them anymore. They are really bright so they light the ground in front of me and let other people know I'm out there.