anyone have a good recipe for "white chili"?

I keep hearing about white chicken chili and it looks good but so many of the recipes have 2u9823498237489 ingredients (and who has time for that? lol) or wayyyy more fay than id like. anyone have a good recipe not going to bust our waistbands here?

Replies

• Mkmassey3
    Mkmassey3 Posts: 214 Member
    My recipe is super simple. You would have to modify it a little to cut out fat but it is so delicious! I always double this because our entire family loves it.

1.5# Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
    48 oz jar of Great Northern Beans (I never drain mine, but they could be, just add more liquid)
    2 Cups Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese (maybe reduced fat/2%)
    2 Cups of Salsa
    1 Tbs. Ground Cumin
    14.5 oz can of Swanson Chicken Broth (maybe low sodium) (more if you like it more soupy)

Dump all ingredients into your slow cooker, cook on low for 4-6 hours. Shred chicken right in the crockpot and stir. Serve. I do not know the nutritional value, but it's such an easy recipe it wouldn't be to difficult to find out. We absolutely love this one. I have another that my mother in law made us that we really enjoyed as well. I'll look for it and post it. It is the perfect time of year for chili!! Enjoy!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    "white chili"?

V55PE.gif

just kidding :tongue:
  • inspirezme
    inspirezme Posts: 36 Member
    This one is plentiful on ingredients, but soooooo worth it! I add a little adobo sauce from a can of chipotle chilies as well as a bag of frozen corn. Then I top it with fat-free plain greek yogurt and a little cilantro. YUM!!!!

Turkey and White Bean Chili

Ingredients

1 tablespoon canola oil

2 cups diced yellow onion (about 2 medium)

1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano

3 (15.8-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained

4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

3 cups chopped cooked turkey

1/2 cup diced seeded plum tomato (about 1) (I just use a can of diced tomatoes)

1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

8 lime wedges (optional)

Preparation
    Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes or until tender and golden. Add chili powder, garlic, and cumin; sauté for 2 minutes. Add oregano and beans; cook for 30 seconds. Add broth; bring to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes.
    Place 2 cups of bean mixture in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan. Add turkey, and cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat. Add diced tomato, chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper, stirring well. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.

Jennifer Martinkus, Cooking Light
    NOVEMBER 2006
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    I recently got a one pound package mix from "Spice Barn" called White Chicken Chili Mix ($6.69). It makes in about 15 minutes calls for rotisserie chicken, canned corn (I use frozen), canned cannelloni beans(I make my own if I have planned ahead), tomatoes (canned - but I don't use them)and water. Can't get much easier than that! A nice corn bread goes well with this as it is not super thick, but I have used mashed potatoes, wheat bread and chips with it. I use it as a family meal and have 1/2 a cup for my portion - sorry I have not figured out calories. Mild chili flavor which I like.
  • paularhiatt
    paularhiatt Posts: 12 Member
    Buy McCormicks Chicken Chili Seasoning and follow the recipe on the back of the package, including both of the suggested adds. I usually put in 2 cans of Great Northern Beans instead of 1. It is fast, easy, healthy, filling and tastes great.
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,161 Member
    Here's my simple and delicious recipe that takes less than 10 min to make:

Ingredients:

1. Cooked rotisserie chicken (I usually buy mine from Walmart)
    2. 3 cans of Great Northern beans
    3. 1 can of Rotel tomatoes
    4. 1/2 bag of Pictsweet Seasoning Blend (in the freezer section-it's diced onions, green/red peppers, celery, parsley)
    5. Spinach or Kale (either fresh or frozen) - as much or little as you like
    6. 1 box of vegetable broth
    7. McCormicks Chicken Chili Seasoning packet

Directions:

Start cooking on the stove / put in your soup pot the tomatoes, seasoning blend, McCormicks Chicken Chili Seasoning packet, spinach or kale and the vegetable broth. While this is cooking, open your 3 cans of Northern beans and put them in the microwave for 3 minutes. While this is cooking, start pulling the chicken apart and putting it in your soup pot. Now that your beans are done, use your potato masher to mash them up. Put the mashed up beans in your pot. Mix it all together.

Eat and enjoy!
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    It has a lot of ingredients, but it's a slow-cooker recipe so it's fairly little work.

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
    1 medium size onion, chopped
    2 4-oz cans diced roasted green chiles, drained
    2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    2 cloves garlic, pressed
    2 16-oz cans white beans, rinsed and drained
    2.5 tsp crumbled dried oregano
    1.5 tsp ground cumin
    .5 tsp ground white pepper
    Tabasco to taste
    pinch red pepper flakes
    leaves from 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
    1 rotisserie chicken, meat pulled off and bones & skin discarded*
    .5 cup sour cream + more for garnish if desired
    .5 cup half and half
    shredded cheese for serving if desired

*I tend to sub in raw boneless chicken breasts and do the two fork shred at the end - its easier

1 - heat butter until sizzling. add onion and cook, stirring periodically, 5-7 minutes until softened. put onions in slow cooker. add green chiles, broth, beans, garlic, oregano, cumin, white pepper, tabasco, and red pepper flakes. cover and cook on LOW 3-4 hours. NOTE: if using raw chicken instead of rotisserie, add at this stage, and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6-8

2a- add cilantro and rotisserie chicken meat to the cooker, cover, and continue to cook on LOW until the chicken is warm - approx one hour. if using raw chicken, skip this step.

2b - before serving, stir in sour cream and half-and-half until blended and cook until heated through (about 20 min). If you skipped 2a, add the cilantro now.

3 - serve topped with shredded cheese and sour cream, if that's your thing. i like it over rice - gives it more 'weight'

serves 8, can be easily halved
  • annisthetist
    annisthetist Posts: 4 Member
    Here's mine... I don't know if this is too many ingredients, but it's chili, it's not meant to be a 2-ingredient wonder! It's *really* damn good though... think I might make a batch this week.

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves cut into 1/2 inch cubes
    1/4 cup onion chopped
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon cilantro (fresh if I've got it or go shopping, dried if not)
    1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 4.5 oz. can green chiles chopped
    1 19 oz. can white kidney beans (cannellini)
    1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded (optional)
    2 green onions sliced (optional)
    MIX garlic powder, cumin, oregano, cilantro and red pepper in small bowl. Set aside.
    Heat oil in large skillet on medium-hit heat. Add chicken and onions; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes.
    Stir in chicken broth, chiles and spices; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes.
    Stir in beans; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Top with cheese and sliced green onions, if desired.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    However you make it don't forget to top it off with some fresh cilantro, mango salsa, and some lime.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Bump