Ground Beef vs Ground Turkey

Options
Why is it that low calorie recipes all use ground turkey when 95% lean ground beef has less calories??

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    A taste thing maybe? It does taste different. I typically use either, depending on the recipe...

ETA: you can find 99% fat free turkey. That's probably lower calorie still.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Because turkey is deeellliiiccciiiooouuussss... *slurp*

In all honesty, I don't know. I use them both, and enjoy them both. Ground lamb, too! Food is excellent.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Why is it that low calorie recipes all use ground turkey when 95% lean ground beef has less calories??

Maybe cause they are interchangeable due to how horrible they are to work with?
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    No clue, but you should try ground bison if you haven't already. Yum!
  • LoveLoveandRage
    LoveLoveandRage Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It may be the taste; however, I think ground chicken tastes the best! :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Probably cost.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I use 96/4 ground beef in spaghetti sauce, tacos, meatballs, etc. I think it tastes better than ground turkey. But I do use ground turkey when I make homemade breakfast sausage.

If I'm making burgers, I have to have fattier meat - 85/15 for that! :-)
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey or ground bison in any recipe , both are good.
  • trevnem
    trevnem Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Im assuming its because of the red meat thing, some people try not to eat a whole lot of red meat, poultry and fish are easier for your body to digest I think
  • Gatorinky
    Gatorinky Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did try ground chicken in spaghetti sauce and I liked it but of course MDH, who isn't dieting and is very picky, asked me what was different about it. Ugh!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's easy to substitute. I prefer ground pork or ground chicken over turkey. The really yummy beef is the 85% fat free.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I hate ground chicken.

I love ground turkey for pasta and tacos. I just like the texture better. Ground beef tends to taste mealy to me, whereas ground turkey holds its texture and really holds flavor.

I've been using ground elk because I have a freezer full!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It's been so long since I've used ground beef. I've really grown accustomed to ground chicken and turkey. The only time I have ground beef is when I eat out. I'd love to try the bison.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Where are you getting your calorie information? Typically, if the fat content is equal, turkey will have less calories and less saturated fat than beef, though the difference is not huge.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't really like the taste of ground beef, unless it is sirloin. Regular ground or ground chuck? Not a fan. But there is a common misconception among the masses that red meat is bad for you in general, so any "low calorie" recipe directed toward dieters is more likely to call for ground turkey or chicken.

I like ground turkey. I use it a lot in stir-fry meals, meatballs, and occasionally burgers. If you know how to cook, you can compensate for the lack of fat, in terms of flavor. I also like it because you get a lot of protein in relatively few calories.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I usually use ground turkey over ground beef due to cost. The 93/7 beef is usually a couple bucks more a pound than the 93/7 ground turkey where I live.

Except for burgers, I find ground turkey is a great substitute.

Now, I do not like the texture of ground chicken.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I personally cannot stand the taste of ground turkey
    However ground chicken is great!

I love ground beef but I have discovered ground horse meat recently and absolutely love it! :smooched:
  • Gatorinky
    Gatorinky Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Where are you getting your calorie information? Typically, if the fat content is equal, turkey will have less calories and less saturated fat than beef, though the difference is not huge.

I got it here from the database
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I got it here from the database

Oh, then it's going to depend on which of the many entries you choose, but when I checked the database most put beef about 20 calories higher per 4 oz serving, when fat content was the same.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Maybe cause they are interchangeable due to how horrible they are to work with?

^^ This