When I go to the Gym.. I can't weight lift

Options
I went to the gym for the first time today, (yay!) and I did great with the epillectal machine, I tried to weight life, (the lightest) for my arms but my sternum bone was starting to hurt, (I had heart surgery back in May). I want to be able to work both legs, and arms of course, any ideas what I could do to burn calories using arms that doesn't need weight lifting stradegies? lol Thanks in advanced.

Replies

• nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Have you tried yoga? It is great for strengthening the body and arms (as well as mind and soul haha) but I would recommend that or push ups, just using your body weight. Did you try lighter weights? Maybe 5-8lbs to start? Don't do anything that hurts you though. Good luck!
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Can you do a push up? Using body weight is a great place to start
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    congrats on your first trip to the gym. i just signed up and went for the first time on friday last week. i love it!!!! thats all i wanted to say. i know nothing about lifting weights yet. but whatever it is YOU can DO IT!!!
  • trisharoberts75
    trisharoberts75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yea I tried push ups, I got up to 9 until my chest was starting to feel it, Doctor said it would take about a year to be 100% healed and feeling normal. :(
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym for the first time today, (yay!) and I did great with the epillectal machine, I tried to weight life, (the lightest) for my arms but my sternum bone was starting to hurt, (I had heart surgery back in May). I want to be able to work both legs, and arms of course, any ideas what I could do to burn calories using arms that doesn't need weight lifting stradegies? lol Thanks in advanced.
    Did you get chance to chat to a trainer? Maybe they could point you in the best direction for you in your circumstances.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Start with body weight excercises: push-ups (can me done on knees at first), dips, squats (make sure to get low), calf raises, and lunges. That'd be a great starting point to work your way up! Best of luck!!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If you are having issues due to surgery, I'd suggest going to see a physiotherapist. They can help you tailor a routine to any limitations you may have.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I'd say try to take it easy. Maybe see if you can find a personal trainer or physical therapist that can get you on the right track.

I completely relate to trying to figure out what things are like post major surgery. I had brain surgery in February and am still struggling to be consistent with exercise again.
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Maybe do some exercises with bands? Don't push it too much! It's better to hold off on some exercises then it would be to hurt yourself!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer physical therapists? My gym does and they can come right out on the floor with you.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    If you are unable to bear weight, try isometrics (i.e., think of good ole arm circles from gym class -- until your arms are on fire).

Here's a random link Google gave. http://www.isometric-training.com/arm-exercise-isometrics.html
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend a physiotherapist to help you find exercises. Until then maybe try to lay off the chest exercises. I would not do push ups or bench presses without a doctor or therapist's OK if I were you.

Have you tried any arm and shoulder exercises that don't recruit the chest muscles as much?

I am thinking maybe bicep curls, tricep extensions, or overhead (not incline or bench) presses?
  • Hbarry7
    Hbarry7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do you have a follow-up doctor from the surgery? Or try to make an appointment with a physical therapist to help guide you. I messed up my lower leg and was in PT with the expectation that recovery would be 1 year, I can't imagine what it would be for heart surgery.

Otherwise, how does swimming feel? Its a lot of arm movement. I second yoga :) downward dogs and the like will really make your arms shake and build stregth from all the body weight poses.
  • tubaman58
    Options
    Look into stretching, yoga..... anything you do will help in the long run:smile:
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You need to listen to your body. A burn is a good thing, but pain is not. Talk to your doctor, maybe even a physical therapist, to come up with ways to get there. If you want to bad enough you can get there, it just might take a little extra work.
  • nm212
    Options
    If you can't lift weights, do cardio. Maybe try the elliptical machine that works the arms and legs . You can adjust how hard it is. If it will take a year to heal, then that's OK....try other exercise. Yoga is great or the cardio machines...even walking. :)
  • MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I had bowel surgery in July so I understand exactly where you are coming from. Heavy lifting makes my side hurt where I had surgery, so I usually just stick w/ cardio and bodyweight exercises. I wouldn't do pushups or anything involving pushups (i.e. burpees) until your chest is healed. I do alot of squats and lunges for lower body work. Also you can do chest presses, and chest flyes w/ no weights, just use good form. Also a consult w/ a personal trainer would help, because they can show you modifications to certain moves that would alleviate pressure to your surgical area. Thank God for your recovery and that you are back in the gym. :)
  • nm212
    Options
    You can do it. Don't feel discouraged because of that.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it too much. I sat on my couch for close to 5 years and just got my sorry *** to the gym about a month ago. I have made progress .. I can now do 8 lunges in a row, whereas the first week it was like 1 lunge. So progress can be made .. just take it slow and easy.

Your body will respond in good ways in due time.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'd try kettlebells you can do loads with them and they are fab!!