Stupid Question - when to eat exercise calories...

Options
I've read enough posts now to convince me that I need to eat my exercise calories. However, I sometimes work out at the end of the day and that can leave me with 1000 calories to consume after 6pm!

So my dumb question is, can I eat those calories before I've earned them?

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I've read enough posts now to convince me that I need to eat my exercise calories. However, I sometimes work out at the end of the day and that can leave me with 1000 calories to consume after 6pm!

So my dumb question is, can I eat those calories before I've earned them?
    When you eat them doesn't matter. What might get you into trouble is eating them, then not exercising.
  • ajcooper
    Options
    ]When you eat them doesn't matter. What might get you into trouble is eating them, then not exercising.

Fair point! I now need to find some healthy snack options for using up those calories.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    You'll be fine eating 1000 calories after an evening workout, just be conscious of what it is :)
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese before bed is good.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You know, you should probably eat at least half of your exercise calories AFTER you workout. You might not love eating at night, but maybe just plan to have a 500 calorie meal with high protein, good complex carb, and a bit of fat in it. Alternatively, I bet you could get some recipes for a shake with all of those things in it. You need to replenish your body after the workout. Your body will be crying out for protein to nourish your muscles, and your elevated metabolism will thank you for the complex carbs. The fat will help your body process the other two things properly and absorb the fat soluble vitamins.

The other half you could plan to eat earlier in the day though, no problem.

It's really not a problem to eat your calories before you exercise in terms of weight gain, the main issue here to me is that after exercising your body will need some nourishment, especially if you want to make the most of muscle building.

Happy working out!!
  • vmryan
    vmryan Posts: 3
    Options
    well you should realy not be working out close to bedtime you should leave at least 3 hours for your body to wined down or else you will not get proper sleep and good sleep is part of a healthy habit. But if you must exercise close to bed time than a good part of those calories should come fome proteins before you work out is best just be sure you work out if you do eat extra cals.