I don't want to be a fat dad

Options
Hello All!

My wife is pregnant and I do NOT want to be a fat dad. Over the past few years, I have really let myself go downhill health-wise. It doesn't help that I work for a gaming company that supplies us with as much soda as we want.

I have vowed to lose the weight and become as healthy as I can.

Anyone in the Cambridge MA area, help me start running!

To everyone else, it's nice to meet you!

~ Joshua

Replies

• watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi Joshua

Welcome! I think you'll find the support you need here. Everyone is so positive, and encouraging. Congratulations on the new baby on the way! Can't help you with the running, I live on the other coast. But if you would like to add me as a friend as we travel on our journey to better health, please feel free to do so. I am fairly new to this site as well, just been here slightly less than 2 weeks.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

My wife is pregnant and I do NOT want to be a fat dad. Over the past few years, I have really let myself go downhill health-wise. It doesn't help that I work for a gaming company that supplies us with as much soda as we want.

I have vowed to lose the weight and become as healthy as I can.

Anyone in the Cambridge MA area, help me start running!

To everyone else, it's nice to meet you!

~ Joshua
    I understand. I started to lose weight because I want to run with my kids and not be absolutely winded.

Welcome.
  • oomaguma
    oomaguma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks you two!

I just happened to find MFP app on my phone and it brought me here! I hope with the help of this site, running, eating right and some Wii Fit, I can get back into shape.

Although I do hate running...
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Thanks you two!

I just happened to find MFP app on my phone and it brought me here! I hope with the help of this site, running, eating right and some Wii Fit, I can get back into shape.

Although I do hate running...
    I try and only run when being chased by a large predator. Worse, I sound like a herd of elephants on the treadmill. Check out the Couch potato to 5 k plan.
  • brosteve55
    Options
    well, I am in TN but I know where you are, at least with weight issues. be determined, keep the faith, and stop drinking the sodas.
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ahh.. I abhor running as well. Got myself a stationary bike at a second hand sporting goods store, and an IPOD with great music. It's workin' so far! =) I'd be curious to know how the Wii Fit works for you...
  • Yahme
    Yahme Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey Bro... I like what you said....that is exactly the thing I kept in mind when I started my journey. "I can do all things though Christ who strengthens me." I started my journey in June and Praise the Lord - I have lost 47.5 lbs. This is a great site/tool for helping one succeed in their journey to lose weight. I mention this site to everyone who asks me about my tranformation.

And, Oomaguma - welcome and good luck - you can do it!
  • amscobra
    Options
    Welcome! I know you will find tons of support here no matter how far apart we live from each other. This is a great site that offers a lot of great tips and support. It's a really great thing your doing for you and your family. Congrats on the pregnancy and add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • Neckman
    Neckman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello there. I'm starting out on this today. I like your subject. I don't want to be a fat dad, either! I have been for too long, and that's all my kids have ever known. No more! Good luck to you.
  • bmills4jc
    Options
    Hey guys. I'm right there with you all. I started out yesteday on here. I'm tired of being a fat dad. I have a one year old and we are thinking about having another in the next year or two. I'm so tired of being a fat dad. I just took up mountain biking. My ultimate goal is to race in an Exterra Triathalon. It's a 1k swim, 15 mile mountain bike and a 5 mile run. That is my goal for next year. It's lofty considering I only rode a mile last night and thought I was going to pass out, but I think if I stay motivated I can do it. Look forward to the mutual support with the other fat dads on here.
  • oomaguma
    oomaguma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support! I will be here too if anyone wants help (whatever it is I can do!)

YAY weight loss!