Who would've thought eating enough would be so hard

Options
Hi all

Since recently starting a clean healthy nutritional plan I have realised just how hard it is to meet my daily caloric intake using whole healthy foods. Hitting the fat recommendation is fairly easy but the protein and carbs is fairly difficult. I'm taking a couple of protein shakes a day to try and improve the protein consumption but at the moment I feel like I'm having to eat all the time.

I'm going for 6 small meals a day and spreading out the macro nutrients equally but I'm considering just dividing up my calories into three bigger meals a day with some snacks a couple of times. I'm not sure if taking larger amounts of protein 3 times a day is effective as spreading it out. Has anyone had any success building muscle on gaining their main protein intake three times a day with some snacks........ it must work for soldiers and people like that who can't constantly have a small meal made up.

Your thoughts please......

Ant

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how often you eat.
  • antjoanes
    antjoanes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Not sure about that. Once you've been weight training your muscles require protein to repair them, this is apparently better to be supplied in consistant meals throughout the day. At least this is what I have always been told (and research also confirms this opinion)

I'm just wondering if people have had good gains from spreading their calories into three decent protein rich meals throughout the day and how important it actually is to supply the muscles with protein every 3 hours or so.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You don't need to be supplying your muscles with protein every 3 hours. It's OK. I eat 2 meals a day. I'm sure you could have good gains with only one meal, provided you had enough calories and protein.

If you are having trouble getting enough calories, there is absolutely no shame in reaching for something more calorie dense (doesn't have to be "junk"). You might be eating "clean," but it's not all that healthy if you aren't getting enough calories to achieve your goals. You can gorge yourself on veggies and get hardly any calories. It's good that you try to eat healthy things, but when you are aiming high on calories, don't make it too hard on yourself. You know what they always say, "If it fits your macros..."

But I still struggle to understand how anyone would find it hard to eat enough.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I think the most crucial time to be worrying about intake is for the couple hours after a good weight session and getting in a balanced ratio of carbs and protein to start recovery and restore. I tend to make the meal after my workout the biggest for the day and then spread the rest out and really, these meals and timing is more of a personal preference than anything. I like to have a bit of protein everytime I eat tho. I agree, sometimes it is challenging to get the calories in with wholesome food choices but my ice cream, greek yogurt cake and wine help me with that!! =)
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You will get used to it trust me..I was the same was at first as was every other bber I know. Take a look at my journal. Meal 1 is about a 1100 cal shake and meal 2 is around 900 cals. I have both of these post workout. So a post workout meal of about 2000 cals..the rest is chump change.

meal frequency is IRRELEVANT...it's been debunked by science several times in the fitness world yet a few people still run around shouting "omgz eat 8 timez a day! It will make u metabolism liek a boss"...this is false

I eat 3-4 times through my bulk and did the same thing when I started my first cut in Feb at 221lbs 30% bodyfat all the way to 160lbs 12%. Now doing the same thing through my bulk I've put on some quality mass.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Meal Frequency has absolutely no bearing whatsoever...... Just make sure you are hitting your macro's and caloric intake needs for that day..... Best of Luck...
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Not sure about that. Once you've been weight training your muscles require protein to repair them, this is apparently better to be supplied in consistant meals throughout the day. At least this is what I have always been told (and research also confirms this opinion)

I'm just wondering if people have had good gains from spreading their calories into three decent protein rich meals throughout the day and how important it actually is to supply the muscles with protein every 3 hours or so.
    what research?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

what research?

That is what I am thinking. Sounds like research straight out of a BB magazine.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Maybe adding in some more healthy fats like nuts and avacados?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant.

this
  • wheird
    Options
    Maybe adding in some more healthy fats like nuts and avacados?

He said in his OP that he has no issues hitting his fat macro.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    They are also good sources of protein! !
  • wheird
    Options

No they are not!!! :angry:
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options

lol
  • cevalid
    Options
    From what I've read, the evidence showing that eating every few hours is metabolically beneficial is based on a study conducted decades ago (1950s I think). It looked at a number of athletic young college aged males and determined that they gained more muscle over a 6 month period by eating small, frequent meals and working out like crazy.

Don't know how much I would rely on that evidence.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how often you eat.

^^^^ This. I eat whenever ... from early in the morning to late at night. My body doesn't seem to care. It is just food.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Probably because you associate healthy with low calorie, a common mistake. I can eat 3000 calories of healthy food in a heart beat and wonder what's for dinner.
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    I had 3000 today with 169 protein and nearly 500 carb and only 60ish fat in 3 meals easy; granted I had no vegetables today and fruit was 2 bananas. Hit more than enough fiber; and cereal and almond milk was heavily fortified. Suffice to say, it was the Anti-Paleo diet. Pretty much grains and dairy. Not saying this is optimal; it's just what I felt like today. I am going to have a tortilla chip.
  • Scottie255
    Options
    Meal times are only relevant when your on a cut and you dont want to limit the amount of muscle lost. I get more then enough protein and all I eat is 200gm chicken with 200gm brown rice, 200gm salmon with 200gm sweet potato and 200gm steak with 200g pasta... by the time you eat something along those lines you on your way to hitting the 1-1.5gm protein per pound of bodyweight. Add a few glasses of milk, some yoghurt, eggs etc. I dont use protein shakes... no need