Dry Pasta Vs. Cooked Pasta, need help!

Options
So i want to make tortellini, but the package nutrition list its as 2/3 cups dry, ive gone to their website but cant figure it out, how much is 2/3 cups cooked, anyone know?

Thanks so much in advance!
:happy:

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    No clue but ehre's a bump... I don't see why it would change in calories if your just boiling it though..
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    what i do is that i measure it out before i cook it, and that is your serving.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I know 1 cup of cooked pasta is about 200 calories...if that helps!
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Ok, it's a pain in the tushie to cook just one serving of pasta! For regular pasta (like rotini) I cooked a whole box and weighed it after cooking. I found that 2 oz dry = 4.1 oz cooked (for the Ronzoni Smart Taste, cooked al dente the way I like it).

I suggest cooking the whole package, weigh it cooked, and divide by the number of servings in the package. It'll make yummy leftovers too!

Good luck!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    what i do is that i measure it out before i cook it, and that is your serving.

This is exactly what I do then I eye ball half for me and half for m husband.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    No clue but ehre's a bump... I don't see why it would change in calories if your just boiling it though..

it doesnt change in cals, it changes in weight and shape, it absorbs water and becomes heavier and bigger.. most serving sizes are for dry pasta she just wants to know what the equivalent is for cooked :)
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I know 1 cup of cooked pasta is about 200 calories...if that helps!
    Tortellini will be stuffed with something that will increase that.

If you're making a whole package for the family, what I often do is take the serving size of the whole box and divide into the number of servings I want to make.

It's often difficult to determine serving sizes after cooking and account for absorption, or reduction in liquid volume through boiling. What I often do is make a recipe on MFP simply as a placeholder for all the ingredients, then set the servings to 4 or 6 or whatever works for a rational calorie serving. When everything is cooked, it's relatively easy to divide the whole finished dish into equal quarters for serving, then the calories become 1/4 of the total dish. Six divisions is a little harder to do by eye, but easier than measuring by volume when you don't know the total volume of the finished dish.
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    According to the Barilla US website under Cooking Italian, then Pasta 101, & then Measuring Pasta, 2 oz of dry tortellini = 1/2 cup dry = 1 cup COOKED. They have all kinds of pasta types listed on their site and the conversions between dry and cooked. Hope that helps!
  • lkblazek
    Options
    No idea, but you can measure it and cook it, then measure the cooked portion. It's probably going to be about the same each time so you only have to do it once. That way you can cook it for the family and then just measure out your cooked portion.
  • SunShineMom2402
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! ~

There is def too many people in this household to only make one serving at a time...i will try the measure/divide method, thanks all!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Fanena
    Options
    Hi Sunshinemom, you put the dry tortellini in a measuring cup upto 2/3. That's the amount you cook and the amount of nutrition you will get. The dry amount, this case 2/3 cup, is the nutrition value it says. So just cook it and enjoy. I hope this helps. I had to discuss it with my husband to figure it out.
    Fanena
  • SunShineMom2402
    Options
    According to the Barilla US website under Cooking Italian, then Pasta 101, & then Measuring Pasta, 2 oz of dry tortellini = 1/2 cup dry = 1 cup COOKED. They have all kinds of pasta types listed on their site and the conversions between dry and cooked. Hope that helps!

oh thank you! i looked at the site late last night but obviously didnt do a good enough job! :ohwell: :bigsmile:
  • SunShineMom2402
    Options
    what a pain in the butt, why would barilla have what 1/2 cup dry equals but have 2/3 cup dry as the serving size! big help they are ....ugh
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    what a pain in the butt, why would barilla have what 1/2 cup dry equals but have 2/3 cup dry as the serving size! big help they are ....ugh

I'm tell in ya, toss it all into the pot, multiply calories per serving by number of servings, then divide the finished product by 6.
  • smancini
    smancini Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just cooked 2/3 Cup whole grain pene and measured it. 2/3 cup dry equaled 1 1/3 cup cooked.
  • Cdnlady16
    Options
    There is a measuring gadget that you can buy that has a hole in it for different measurments that you place around the pasta. I would say placing your index finger to your thumb - and placing it around the outside of the pasta. That is probably close - but maybe too much - cut that in half would be a good idea. Just a suggestion. Good luck!
  • Terri552
    Options
    the water will make it grow and 2/3 dry could be less then 2/3 wet
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Questions like this make me want to buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Jokari-Healthy-Portion-Control-Basket/dp/B003Y3B8RO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382924140&sr=8-1&keywords=single+serve+pasta+basket

But for tortellini I would count the number of tortellini in one serving (after measuring dry) - then count that number out after cooked for my serving because it likely would be a somewhat small number.

Just realized the OP was years ago - hope she already ate her tortellini!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options

If 1/2 cup dry = 1 cup cooked (as the post above quoted from the Barilla website), then 2/3 dry = 1 and 1/3 cup cooked. It's a 2:1 ratio.

If the helpful poster hadn't found that info for you, and you were cooking the whole package, you could have just weighed the cooked, drained pasta at the end and divided by the number of servings that are in the package to find out what a cooked serving weighs.
  • taraxashley
    taraxashley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    http://www.barilla.com/faq?p=measuring

This was helpful--- I know this is 2 years too late!