Are you losing on TDEE?

Options
Hi I've been ignoring the TDEE calculators and MFP recommendations on how much I should eat because it seems so high. I just started Insanity and I think I need to eat properly to support this program. Is there anyone else out there with similar stats as me who is losing on TDEE recommendations?

27 year old Female
CW 201 lb
GW 160 lb
Height: 5' 6"

Im doing Insanity...so I do 40 mins high impact aerobics 5 times a week. I work at an office job..so other than insanity im not very active. My BMR is 1713 cal and my TDEE is 2505. I want to lose 1 lbs per week. So I should eat 2005 cals a day.

Anyone with similar stats as me having success?

Replies

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    So the workouts are estimated as burning something in the neighborhood of 800 calories? I know Insanity is supposed to be hard, but that seems awfully high to me. I burn something more in the neighborhood of 400 with an hour of running or 20-30 minutes of intervals.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I dont have similar stats but I am losing on TDEE
    I calculated through a bunch of different calculators and took the average because some i felt were high, but then some were low. I'm not quite sure why there is such a difference but anyway..
    Im 33, sw 270, cw 205, gw 150, 5'3" and mine worked out to be 1800 as an average. I feel WAY better doing it this way than when I first started out and ate only 1200-1400. Good luck on your journey! :drinker:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I went around to all the TDEE calculators and entered the same information to see what their results were, then I just averaged it all for a more realistic TDEE. After that I chose -20% to be somewhat aggressive. Then I dropped another couple hundred for padding.

In all, when I stick to it I lose consistently. Exercise is a a big key to that for me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    TDEE with a deficit definitely works. The issue is being sure that the information you're using is correct. The fault isn't with the method it's with the calculations.
  • phoebejeeby
    phoebejeeby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't have a heart monitor yet, but I input my workouts as 40 mins High impact aerobics, which says I burn 425 cals per workout.
    BMR is the amount of calories I would burn if I was lying in bed all day. TDEE is the calories I need to maintain my current weight working at an office and doing Insanity 5 times a week ( there is 1 yoga like workout that I don't count, cause its not cardio). So according to that I should eat 2005 cals a day to lose a lb week. :)
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I don't have a heart monitor yet, but I input my workouts as 40 mins High impact aerobics, which says I burn 425 cals per workout.
    BMR is the amount of calories I would burn if I was lying in bed all day. TDEE is the calories I need to maintain my current weight working at an office and doing Insanity 5 times a week ( there is 1 yoga like workout that I don't count, cause its not cardio). So according to that I should eat 2005 cals a day to lose a lb week. :)

Oh, gotcha, I wasn't figuring in the deficit.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The 2000 calories a day sounds about right for you. Just monitor your weight for a few weeks and adjust calories if necessary. See how you feel, make sure you're not too hungry. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the first week because your weight might fluctuate a bit from starting a new exercise routine.

I have lost weight for about 13-14 weeks straight by eating 300-500 calories per day under my TDEE. Just make sure you are consistent with your exercise and it should work out well for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Hi I've been ignoring the TDEE calculators and MFP recommendations on how much I should eat because it seems so high. I just started Insanity and I think I need to eat properly to support this program. Is there anyone else out there with similar stats as me who is losing on TDEE recommendations?

27 year old Female
    CW 201 lb
    GW 160 lb
    Height: 5' 6"

Im doing Insanity...so I do 40 mins high impact aerobics 5 times a week. I work at an office job..so other than insanity im not very active. My BMR is 1713 cal and my TDEE is 2505. I want to lose 1 lbs per week. So I should eat 2005 cals a day.

Anyone with similar stats as me having success?

Keep in mind that all of these calculators are estimates...they're good starting points based on statistical averages of individuals with similar stats. Really, so long as you don't fall outside of those statistical averages (generally a medical condition of deficiency of some sort) then it works provided your inputs are correct...the old saying garbage in, garbage out.

You might have to tweak things a little bit but ultimately it's just simple math...you need XXXX calories to maintain weight (TDEE)...you cut from that to lose. MFP and TDEE are 6 of 1 if you are doing them right...the problem people run into is they don't understand why they're supposed to eat back calories with MFP (and they often overestimate anyway) and they compare a 2 loss goal with MfP to a 20% TDEE cut which is usually closer to 1 Lb per week.

When it doesn't work, it's generally not the method...it's the approach and user error 9x out of 10...other than that it comes down to medical conditions and/or other deficiencies that are hindering weight loss
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic to me. My TDEE seems awfully High (1900 cals). When I started MFP, I was netting between 1400 and 1600 calories and not losing weight (with steady exercise and a balanced diet).

Im only NOW seeing a slow drop (finally), by restricting calories to a 1200 average and intensifying my workouts. Seems like such an intense regimen for such little progress, but its been the only way I've seen positive change. Input welcome..

Stats:
    Height: 5'5
    CW: 190
    GW: 160
  • phoebejeeby
    Options
    i lost 30 lbs in 3 months when i first started dieting and working out. I was eating 1300 - 1400 cals a day and doing 30 minutes of heavy cardio on an elliptical and lifting weights for 10-15 minutes (weights and cardio 5 days a week) I was not eating back my exercise calories. And i was 265 lbs. I dropped weight so fast and then it all stopped. I realize now that i must have killed my metabolism. Once i couldn't lose anymore i quit all the dieting and hard work. I still watched what i ate and off and on for the next year i did some running. I didnt gain anything back but didnt lose either. Now im back at it a year later and i want to lose weight the right way so i can keep losing slowly. Cutting calories back too much will only harm me in the long run. But it is hard for me to wrap my head around eating 2000 cals a day and actually losing weight. Thanks for the input. I think im gonna up my cals to 1600 this week and go to 1800 next week and see how i do at 1800 for a few weeks. ( Before i started Insanity I was eating 1400 and running 2 miles, 3 or 4 times a week)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic to me. My TDEE seems awfully High (1900 cals). When I started MFP, I was netting between 1400 and 1600 calories and not losing weight (with steady exercise and a balanced diet).

Im only NOW seeing a slow drop (finally), by restricting calories to a 1200 average and intensifying my workouts. Seems like such an intense regimen for such little progress, but its been the only way I've seen positive change. Input welcome..

Stats:
    My TDEE is 1900 and I am taller and weigh less...5 ft 7, 165lbs and I lift weight 3x a week.

For you not to be losing weight on 1400-1600 seems odd (I lose 1lb a week eating 1600)

do you use a kitchen scale to weigh your food?

Most of the time people are not losing due to two factors

1. Over estimating burns

and/or

2. Under estimating intake.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    i lost 30 lbs in 3 months when i first started dieting and working out. I was eating 1300 - 1400 cals a day and doing 30 minutes of heavy cardio on an elliptical and lifting weights for 10-15 minutes (weights and cardio 5 days a week) I was not eating back my exercise calories. And i was 265 lbs. I dropped weight so fast and then it all stopped. I realize now that i must have killed my metabolism. Once i couldn't lose anymore i quit all the dieting and hard work. I still watched what i ate and off and on for the next year i did some running. I didnt gain anything back but didnt lose either. Now im back at it a year later and i want to lose weight the right way so i can keep losing slowly. Cutting calories back too much will only harm me in the long run. But it is hard for me to wrap my head around eating 2000 cals a day and actually losing weight. Thanks for the input. I think im gonna up my cals to 1600 this week and go to 1800 next week and see how i do at 1800 for a few weeks. ( Before i started Insanity I was eating 1400 and running 2 miles, 3 or 4 times a week)

I wouldn't go up in the next week...leave it at 1600 a couple of weeks, then if you are losing too much (over 1lb a week) then up it again to 1800 and then see how it happens.
  • sealevels
    Options
    My ticker says it all. The freedom I get from eating at TDEE - 20% is amazing.

I'm 25, 5'6", 228 lbs. My TDEE-20% is roughly 2050. I used to be over 2300 and I miss the food lol.
  • phoebejeeby
    Options
    My thick head....it finally makes sense. TDEE is confusing when you compare it to MFP. They both give you the same end result...its just displayed differently.

MFP says to lose 1 lb a week I should net 1600 cals. (Eat back exercise cals.)

According to TDEE I should eat 2000 cals with my current fitness program (insanity) I am estimating the 40 min high intensity aerobic workouts to burn 400 cal. So my net cals for days I workout is 1600. On TDEE I do not eat back exercise cals because they are already factored in.

Both ways of figuring put me at 1600 cal net and have me eating 2000 cals a day (on workout days). I'll give it a go. I was netting as low as 1200-1300 and not starving. So eating 1600 on non workout days and 2000 on workout days will be lots.

I dont know why this was so hard for me to understand :)
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I was doing TDEE less 20% and stopped losing for 6 weeks. Then I went back to the 1lb per week loss option and started losing again. Thats just my experience. Its just playing around with those silly little numbers sometimes.
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    And i was 265 lbs. I dropped weight so fast and then it all stopped. I realize now that i must have killed my metabolism. Once i couldn't lose anymore i quit all the dieting and hard work. I still watched what i ate and off and on for the next year i did some running. I didnt gain anything back but didnt lose either.

You won't hurt your metabolism with what you did/are doing. If you eat less calories in a day than you expend (BMR + Exercise), you will feel hungry at times, and that is your body telling you it is converting stored energy (fat) into the energy you need.

If you stall out on weight loss, cut more calories. Eating less always works. You could also NOT exercise and lose weight. But to keep or gain muscle AND lose fat, you do need to do strengthening exercises and get enough protein.

When you lose weight, your maintenance needs also go down (play with your BMR calculator and look at the difference between your current and goal weights). So if you want to lose 1 lb/week, that is 500 cal/day deficit (or 3,500 cal/week which is the energy stored in a pound of fat). Every time you lose weight, you start encroaching into that deficit, so you will lose weight slower unless you also drop your overall intake. It's like chasing a ball downhill - every time you get closer to your goal, it moves some. Every couple of weeks I "reset" my "Goals" in MFP to keep it currrent.

Cut NET calories to balance the amount of hunger you are willing to live with, and a weekly loss that is acceptable (2 lb/week or less). If 1600-1200/day worked for you, go back to that.

Good luck!
  • shielas
    shielas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a Beachbody Coach have you talked to one of them? I know from what she's told me that you need to eat more when you are working out. I also know from my dietician, and my own body, that if you eat too few calories you will not loose. Your body will think that you are going through a famine and start storing every thing you eat to fat. I'm not up to Insanity yet!, but I do Slim in 6, Zumba and recumbent bike six days out of seven. I'm looking forward to the day that I can do T25, or Turbo Fire, with my daughter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My thick head....it finally makes sense. TDEE is confusing when you compare it to MFP. They both give you the same end result...its just displayed differently.

MFP says to lose 1 lb a week I should net 1600 cals. (Eat back exercise cals.)

According to TDEE I should eat 2000 cals with my current fitness program (insanity) I am estimating the 40 min high intensity aerobic workouts to burn 400 cal. So my net cals for days I workout is 1600. On TDEE I do not eat back exercise cals because they are already factored in.

Both ways of figuring put me at 1600 cal net and have me eating 2000 cals a day (on workout days). I'll give it a go. I was netting as low as 1200-1300 and not starving. So eating 1600 on non workout days and 2000 on workout days will be lots.

I dont know why this was so hard for me to understand :)

I love it when the light bulb comes on...it's a great feeling. Also, keep in mind that intial losses, particularly when you have a lot to lose can be rather large and fast...but they slow down to normal rates of loss eventually which is probably what you're experiencing. Ultimately, weight loss is a slug fest (I prefer it to marathon)...just keep on keepin' on.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Stats:
    My TDEE is 1900 and I am taller and weigh less...5 ft 7, 165lbs and I lift weight 3x a week.

For you not to be losing weight on 1400-1600 seems odd (I lose 1lb a week eating 1600)

do you use a kitchen scale to weigh your food?

Most of the time people are not losing due to two factors

1. Over estimating burns

and/or

2. Under estimating intake.

^^ I agree with this. I'm 5'5" and started at 170 lbs. I'm at 133 lbs now and using TDEE method the whole way. I've actually been gradually upping my calories starting at 1460 and now I'm up to 1600, losing about 1.5 lbs a week.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm losing on TDEE -20%. All my stats are on my profile. I adjust my TDEE and calorie goal daily based on my fitness tracker (Jawbone UP) burn and any exercise I do. I usually eat between 2000-2400 calories on an active day.