Any other Vegetarians?

Options
Hi
Anyone else trying to lose weight veggie style, love carbs but finding it hard to cut them. If so please be my friend and we can share tips!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Options
    Hey there,

Yes I'm a veggie and I've been putting a lot of energy into going back to real vegetarian cooking as opposed to overusing Quorn. Quorn is great but very processed and doesn't necessarily provide all your nutritional needs. So yes I use it sometimes when I'm in a hurry or on the move but wherever possible i cook healthy nutritious meals. I've been cooking with lots of beans and pulses and using unrefined carbs wherever possible. There's lots of recipes out there. The only difficult part is finding the time to cook properly!
  • djstargater
    Options
    Yes, I am a vegetarian and boy do I love carbs. I too am trying to get back to eating a healthy veggie diet and leaving out fat cheeses and too many pastas and ready made soy products.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian really, but tend to be semi-veg or veg-lite in the sense that i dont eat meats often and when i do, in only small amounts. I struggle with the carbs and cheeses and ready made convenience foods too. I've found that I have to make a concerted effort EVERY DAY to reach my protein goal or else i miss it by a long shot!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian. I eat healthy carbs, so I don't worry about it. It hasn't hurt my losses.
  • mtizy
    mtizy Posts: 38
    Options
    Vegetarian here. I eat dairy though, and I always eat too much cheese.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Vegetarian here. I eat dairy though, and I always eat too much cheese.

There's no such thing as too much cheese! :-)

If I wasn't "dieting," I probably would eat too much, too. I usually have about 1.5 ounces of a 2% cheese every day and I put reduced fat feta on my salads. But I could eat all my 1,200 calories in cheese if I let myself.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Like some others, I'm 95% veg. I usually only eat fish, or whatever dinner is if I'm at some sort of event and meat is unavoidable.
  • mcmoosehall
    mcmoosehall Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    cheers folks, I know i have a weakness for chips, crisps, chocolate, pasta, bread and cheese!!!!! I like to do old skool vegetarian but it is time consuming. Also hard to get protein amount right. Anyone heard of vatkins??
  • Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Options
    A common love of cheese amongst all the veggies then! There is no comparison. I just avoid it sometimes and when I do use it I use very strong flavoured cheese so a little goes a lot further.

You possibly will have a job on your hands getting the right ratio of protein and carbs, but on the plus side you'll have a lot less sodium and possibly saturated fat than meat eaters. Houmous is great in sandwiches etc instead of cheese. Its fatty but mostly good fats.
  • toberlili
    Options
    i am almost complete vegitarian, i have a vegan meal replacement and i do eat seafood :blushing: cant help it, lol
  • Kayliejo07
    Options
    I am having the same problems! I just have to remember if I make pasta to make sure half of the pasta on my plate is veggies and mushrooms with only a small amount of it actually being noodles. Also I have had to switch to tomato based sauces and sprinkle parm and feta on top of the pasta for the cheese that I crave oh so much. I've also had to really cut back on morning star products! It's difficult because they are so tasty and easy, but it's really been wreaking havoc on my waistline.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I am having the same problems! I just have to remember if I make pasta to make sure half of the pasta on my plate is veggies and mushrooms with only a small amount of it actually being noodles. Also I have had to switch to tomato based sauces and sprinkle parm and feta on top of the pasta for the cheese that I crave oh so much. I've also had to really cut back on morning star products! It's difficult because they are so tasty and easy, but it's really been wreaking havoc on my waistline.

I always weigh my pasta and never have more than the serving size (2 oz dry). I really haven't been eating a lot of pasta lately. My whole grains are coming from Kashi and breads these days, mostly.

I know what you mean about Morning Star (and Boca!). I started buying Gardenburger veggie burgers because they're not processed as much. If you read the ingredients, they're pretty much just veggies smashed together. But they're a quick and easy dinner. And the soy crumbles are perfect for my vegetarian chili.
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    I'm a Vego! Nice to see fellow Veggies!