Newbie trying to avoid winter hibernation

Options
Hello all!

Fall is here, winter is fast approaching. The days are cold and I barely want to get out of bed. When I do, all I want to do is eat comfort foods in sit in my PJs all day long!

I need help preventing winter hibernation mode and packing on the pounds!! Spring and Summer, I'm a mover and shaker that loves to keep active, but I just can't seem to keep it together with these short cold days... And what's even more pathetic is I'm a Californian... so cold to me is *gasp* 65... ;)

How do you guys keep motivated? Inspire me!

Replies

• cherylebrade
    Options
    hi I have just recently joined my fitness pal and trying to meet new support people
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

Fall is here, winter is fast approaching. The days are cold and I barely want to get out of bed. When I do, all I want to do is eat comfort foods in sit in my PJs all day long!

I need help preventing winter hibernation mode and packing on the pounds!! Spring and Summer, I'm a mover and shaker that loves to keep active, but I just can't seem to keep it together with these short cold days... And what's even more pathetic is I'm a Californian... so cold to me is *gasp* 65... ;)

I am laughing so hard right now. I was like nodding along with you as I was reading, going, gosh, that is so ME! And then I get to "Californian" and "65"!!!
    I was feeling hibernation kick in as we had our first toothy wind today, blowing all. day. long. The high was about 50, maybe. 30-40 mph gusts. Well on our way to highs barely above freezing.
    To answer your question, I haven't yet figured out how to stay motivated when it's too cold to play outside! I'm thinking I should move in next door to you! lol

Good luck!
  • annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am a Maine-er and I know cold! Brrr...!!!
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm in New Hampshire and know the feeling! I always want to eat a ton in the fall -- my theory being that my body wants to put on an extra layer of fat like seals and some other animals do! I try to just keep getting up and exercising. Hard to do, but I feel much better once I have.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I am laughing so hard right now. I was like nodding along with you as I was reading, going, gosh, that is so ME! And then I get to "Californian" and "65"!!!
    I was feeling hibernation kick in as we had our first toothy wind today, blowing all. day. long. The high was about 50, maybe. 30-40 mph gusts. Well on our way to highs barely above freezing.
    To answer your question, I haven't yet figured out how to stay motivated when it's too cold to play outside! I'm thinking I should move in next door to you! lol

Good luck!

I am coming along too... it's about to get yucky in NYC and temps barely above freezing make me wanna eat and be lazy. :P
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It's been around 40 degrees all week here in Ontario, Canada. I'd like to say I get used to Canadian winters but I don't. Luckily I have my gym all set up in the basement.
  • SlowFatNinja
    Options
    Man, you guys are brave! Well, you're all welcome to come out to Cali and enjoy our "cold" days... It would be great to have someone push me out the door!

I'm looking forward to finding some motivation in these forums... and you guys have already started. If you guys are getting up on those blustery days, I guess I should appreciate the cold sunshine here! Thanks all!

Looking at all your signatures, you guys have all lost a tremendous amount! Great job!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I also laughed at the cold, I'm in Michigan. I'd prefer to hibernate. Instead, I've turned to working out. Hope it makes this winter better! To add to it I'm a night owl that can only consistently get a workout in in the AM. dragging myself out of bed when everyone else is asleep. So Yes, I Have to keep up with friends for motivation because staying in bed under warm blankies is so much more comfortable.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Skiing. Snowshoeing. Invest in good winter gear- good quality gloves, hat, jacket, socks.... smart wool snowboard socks are amazing and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my under armor coldweather gear. X-country skiing is an amazing workout, and once you get moving, you get pretty warm. Also, the skis/boots/poles are pretty cheap if you buy secondhand.

ETA: Ok, so I reread your post, and realized you're probably not dealing with snow... Hiking???? My favorite time to hike is autumn (I'm in upstate NY) because I love that I can do something physically exerting while wearing a sweatshirt, lol! As you can probably tell from the above, I really like winter...
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer where I am now to other places I've lived. One year, we lived in Iowa, and it was the year with the coldest winter on record. Around Christmas, it was minus 70, and they were doing public service announcements urging farmers to cover every bit of exposed skin while out - a lot of stock was lost that year.

And one year we lived at about 20,000 ft in the Rockies of CO - I don't remember much about that, except the snow was deeper than i was tall!

And more recently, lived for 6 years in Ontario, Canada - I never got used to the winters, either! lol So we have pretty mild winters here in Appalachia by comparison; it's still miserable to be out in for a few months!